It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime? Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

The Most Important Election of Our Lifetime? Why?

www.enlightennext.org

QUESTION: The United States is currently the single most powerful nation on earth, and yet it exists within an increasingly interconnected, conflicted, and complex global community. In that light, many are convincingly arguing that the upcoming presidential election will be the most important in our lifetime. Do you agree? And if so, why?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theamericanscholar.org
www.redcounty.com
www.guardian.co.uk
augustafreepress.com

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Google has 280,000 links to "The Most Important Election of our Lifetime" and another 4,390,000 for "The Most Important Election".

People were saying this since way before Obama had a snowballs chance in hell of winning the nomination, much less a better than even odds of winning the election. They were saying this before Hillary tossed her bonnet into the ring.

I know that I will be 53 in a few weeks and it is the most important election I have seen and I have been told by people in their 80's and up the same thing.

We have seen unprecedented voter registration and unprecedented early voting with lines hours long. There is talk of a 90% turn out here in Virginia and possibly an 80% turn out nation wide.

What I am curious about is why. Why do you think that this is the most important election in your lifetime?

I hope that people will give well thought out and reasoned answers as opposed to hysterics, smears and slurs but I am not holding my breath.

So please fellow ATSNN members... why is it the most important election in our lifetime?

www.enlightennext.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Why is it "The Most Important Election of our Lifetime"? Because the media said so?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
For me this is the most important election in my lifetime not because no matter who wins we will either have the first black man in the oval office or the first woman as vice president though those are historic enough in their own right.

(1) With this election we are ending a 20 year dominance of our nations political process by two families... this is the end of the Bush/Clinton era... even should Hillary ever win the White House later on... the era is over.... and it was the fact that we have been so dominated by those two families that I opposed her nomination.

(2) Blame it on partisan politics or deep social divisions but whatever the cause the fabric of our nation has been severely battered over the events of the past 20 years and especially over the past 8... the deficit is at record highs and still soaring, the economy is in turmoil, there has been the greatest of transfer of wealth upward into the hands of the few in history. There has been the politics of hate and division played on a grand scale, not to mention the cultural wars.

(3) Iraq and the fact that we preformed a unprovoked invasion of a sovereign nation (despite the fact that its leader was an a--hole) on what are now know were known lies. And during the conduct of that war and the so-called war on terror we have severely crippled our standing in the world, thrown into question our ideals and real morals, damaged the process of justice and give fuel to our enemies.

Need I go on?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Blueracer

I totally disagree... there is a deep and abiding sense all across this nation and indeed around the world that this is a pivotal election.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Good Morning Grover
I agree with all you've said there. Let me add this.... no matter who wins, the country is going to be deeply divided. The masses seem to have an emotional investment in the outcome like I've never seen before. And no matter who wins, they are walking into a very big mess and will be criticized for everything they do.
I do find it very interesting that the msm has talked so much about vote fraud this election. I'm sure that issue is coming strongly into play also.
I personally don't like either candidate, so it will be interesting to watch this week.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   
The funny thing about the whole voter fraud thing is its not really voter fraud... its voter registeration fraud... A good many stated like here in Virginia require you to show a valid ID before voting so Mickey Mouse can't vote no matter where he's registered. But it is what you get when you hire a company to register voters who then hires people and pays them per head to do the job.

Really this whole issue's purpose is to question the legitimacy of the election should Obama win... because of course Republicans would never do anything like this.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Like you said, this election has had importance for a while now. It isn't about the candidates so much as the future of the nation.

I would say that this election is the most important election of "my" lifetime because as it stands right now, our nation is in the worst shape it has been in "my" lifetime. The next president will have so much damage to repair that it will be a monumental task. To even "right the ship" and put the country back on course would be pretty phenomenal.

So in the election the country is choosing a president that will have to deal with some huge issues and it is critical that we choose wisely.

Unfortunately, I am not sure that either candidate is really up to the task.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Very well said.

The fallacy of claiming that just because someone has had military experience and so is qualified to lead is this...

... governing a nation is nothing like leading a squadron... its more akin to herding cats.

If Obama wins his greatest strength is that he can talk and if you can talk you can persuade and if you can persuade you can govern... and persuading gets far more done than bullying and ordering does.

More than anything it convinces.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Given the state of the economy, the WOT dragging it down and the mindset of the politicians over the last 10 to 20 years, I would say it is.

Lots of people are going to start hurt if something isn't done to correct the situation.

Our so called representatives need to get a grip and start thinking about what is best for the taxpayer and country not the group with the most money to lobby.

They can fix it or the people will.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Again, agreed with both of you. I should have been clearer about the my point on the vote fraud issue, altho your take is every bit as valid. There are already many different reports coming in of the infamous diebold machines "glitching". Wouldn't you think someone (like diebold) who has virtually a "no bid" country wide contract for these machines would have the financial resources to FIX them???? But that's not REALLY what they're there for, is it? (previous statement is conjecture and opinion only)

My gut feeling on the importance factor here, is that neither of the candidates are "slated" to win. It really is a free for all, and I feel sure that the trickery will abound. For me, the question is, who has better programmers?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Even Bush looked like a good guy before the election.

I dont feel very hopeful. All these speeches means nothing. They should be viewed as actors since they are following scripts prepared in advance.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

They should be viewed as actors since they are following scripts prepared in advance.

I LOVE this statement and I'll tell you why...
When I heard Sarah Palin was announced as McCain's running mate, the very first thing I thought was "Hey, they're casting an 'unknown' in one of the key roles." It was a very overwhelming thought, and sadly, it made complete sense then and still does now.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Copernicus

I dont feel very hopeful. All these speeches means nothing. They should be viewed as actors since they are following scripts prepared in advance.

This I agree with. Which script do you like better though?

Even Bush looked like a good guy before the election.

This..... I can't say I am on the same page with you. I never thought Bush looked like a good candidate. Maybe in 2000 but even then, it wasn't that he looked like a good candidate, it was just that Gore was a pompous ass. So was Kerry I guess. But the country was running well back then, or at least it seemed to be so the election didn't feel as critical. I am sure people thought "Hey, what's the worst that could happen...." Well, now we know... and it isn't pretty.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
The electronic voting is a sham. Given the importance the software needs to be open for review. That is a conspiracy by that very action. Trade secrets can be used in another line of equipment. If it is too much to ask of the vendor can move on to another product. The vote must be beyond questions or at least as close to that as possible. Not even close now.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

You know, diebold makes alot of the ATM machines. If those performed as poorly as their voting machines, they would have been firebombed YEARS ago!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
The electronic voting is a sham. Given the importance the software needs to be open for review. That is a conspiracy by that very action. Trade secrets can be used in another line of equipment. If it is too much to ask of the vendor can move on to another product. The vote must be beyond questions or at least as close to that as possible. Not even close now.

I agree... while you can still steal an election with paper ballots, just as LBJ.... all electronic voting makes it so much easier.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
... But the country was running well back then, or at least it seemed to be so the election didn't feel as critical.

The cover up was working pretty well then. Remember Enron, MCI, etc, meltdowns based on accounting and reporting and the energy sector shake up that happen at the end of 2000 and the next couple of years.

If we have learned anything, hopefully it is that we must not simply trust but always question. Some will say unpatriotic, I say sensible and a duty. It has been displayed that our trust is not merited.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Back to the subject at hand... just why is this the most important election in our lifetimes?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Maybe one of them is an Alien and we have to decide which one we should elect. Maybe one of them will show signs from the sky and call himself God but we are being telepathically or hypnotically made to forget who what they really said. Just a long shot but you ever know, I think some people know what i'm speaking about.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join