It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Clams Up on 'Gay' Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   

School Clams Up on 'Gay' Pledge Cards Given to Kindergartners

www.foxnews.com

During a celebration of National Ally Week, Tara Miller, a teacher at the Faith Ringgold School of Arts and Science in Hayward, Calif., passed out cards produced by the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network to her class of kindergartners.

The cards asked signers to be "an ally" and to pledge to "not use anti-LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) language or slurs; intervene, when I feel I can, in situations where others are using anti-LGBT language or harassing other students and actively support safer schools efforts."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
The overall idea isn't bad, but dang, kindergartners? That's too young to be teaching kids about sexuality and that kind of stuff, if you ask me. Plus, if you look at the example of the card in the link, those kids aren't gonna know what they're signing.

Yes, I know it's Fox News...

Comments?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Flagged for a shameless plug .....

I don't see this as anything more than trying to make sure that the kids don't use hate speech in class. I don't really have a problem with that. I would rather have the kids sign and abide to this than have my kid come home from school and tell me about being called one of the names.

It is a mixed bag but I don't have a problem with the teacher trying to keep the kids from being hateful. At least the teacher is trying.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I agree with the premise. Some may think that kindergarten is too early and that the kids are too young, but I see nothing wrong with this.

Letting the children know that it is not right to ridicule others is a good thing.....no matter who the "others" are.

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Ok, I'm going to be the 'bad' poster

the honest poster

So gear up your keyboards and get ready to explode in self-righteous rage

You know you want to

All the politically correct stuff has done a lot of damage to people's minds .. as it was intended to do

And it escapes by venting on the side of caution .. on the politically correct side.

Because gee ... some are so worried about what total strangers in an online forum might think of them

So I'm saying it.

When my children were quite young, I took them shopping. We were in Target or K-mart I think.

I was mosying around, looking for something. The kids were nearby. I kept checking them automatically, as you do. And at one point noticed they were giggling, their hands over their mouths.

From experience, I recognised that they were uncertain .. worried .. confused and a bit anxious.

Watched the direction of their glances and saw two guys. They were wearing make-up and had dyed hair.

One of them was over six feet tall, around 40 to 50 years of age and looked like he'd really been around. Wearing what used to be called a 'safari suit'.

The other was smaller and shorter, younger. Tight jeans and woman's stretch top.

I was shocked. Hadn't seen anything like it before

So no wonder my kids were shocked. These guys were sending mixed signals of a sort two little five year olds could not decipher.

Anyway, it wasn't too difficult to divert my kids' attention and away we went, nothing said.

But lo and behold. A few aisles further along and the same guys appeared. And they were looking for us.

Then, once they had our attention, they began their performance once more .. speaking in silly faux female voices and hugging each other, squealing as they pretended to examine whatever it was.

Ok. Grab the kids and move on.

Maybe half an hour later and well away from K-mart by this time. Had stopped to buy the kids a drink at a little booth and we were on our way to the gardens for a bit of a break.

And what did we and half those in the shopping complex have to see .. HAVE to see ?

Yes, our two female impersonators were at it again. And were taking every advantage of their captive audience. The simpering. The posturing. The hugging. The squealing. The pretend interest in objects on various stalls. Those guys were LOVING it .

My children asked, 'Why are those men dressed like ladies ? '

And I said: ' Because they're silly. Look .. look over there ... see that mummy duck and her babies. Come on, let's go and toss them a bit of our sandwiches '.

Most others just laughed at the performance, openly.
Because it was funny. Those guys looked funny. They looked ridiculous.
And that's a fact.

And political correctness hasn't a hope in hell of removing people's sense of the absurd.

So transgenders, transexuals, homosexuals and heterosexuals better be prepared to be laughed at if they look and behave in a manner that others find funny.

Maybe they need to stop taking themselves so seriously ? And fit in with the world instead of stamping their feet and demanding the world fit in with them ?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

You did what the teacher seems to want the kids to do. Which is to deal with the issue without using "hateful" words like fag, queer....whatever people are saying these days.

The teacher seems to just be wanting to curtail the use of hateful language in class, not celebrate gay awareness. I would assume this is probably due to some unruly kid that is raised in a house full of bigots that uses the same language in class that they hear around the house.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

And political correctness hasn't a hope in hell of removing people's sense of the absurd.

So transgenders, transexuals, homosexuals and heterosexuals better be prepared to be laughed at if they look and behave in a manner that others find funny.

The absurd is the absurd, and nothing about political correctness is going to change that.

And, if they look funny or act funny, then of course people are going to have a reaction. But, if they are trying to live their lives like any other normal people do, then they should be treated like every other normal person is treated.

The younger you can teach children to be polite and respectful and to not discriminate and/or ridicule those that are different from them, the better.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dock6

Wow, I will be the first to say that the guys in your example were being true aholes. That being said. I think you failed to ask yourself why they were acting that way. They weren't trying to be funny, they weren't trying to draw attention to themselves, quite frankly, they weren't trying to be aholes. What they were trying to do is make a statement.

It sounds to me like this took place maybe, ten or more years ago. During this time, being homosexual was much more of a taboo and most homosexuals were receiving more than their fair share of discrimination, harassment, and overall rejection by the majority of society. As a result of this treatment, I am sure these guys felt it necessary to lash out at the society that was oppressing them.

The statement they were making was, I am gay, I live in a society where I am free to be this way, and you are going to have to accept it. That being said, I will give you that they were not exactly going about exercising this statement in the most productive manner. However, if you put yourself in their shoes, I am sure you can at least somewhat see where they were coming from.

All this being said, I will agree with you that his teacher is taking things a bit too far given the age of her students. I do not think that making the students take a "pledge" at this age is appropriate, especially given that these kids really would not even understand the purpose of this process. Personally, I think it would be more appropriate for the teacher to simply state that this type of language (and give some examples) is not going to be acceptable in her classroom. She should then go on to explain why this language is unacceptable. She should do all of this in a manner that these kids could understand.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
So, instead they are demonizing straight people? I love this idea that the way to correct "hate", is to demonize a group that you see as "dangerous". When we are talking race, its white people. In this case, its straight people. Notice there is nothing on there about name calling against straight people. Oh no, thats perfect acceptable.

I'd also like to know why these people think they are free from name calling? We all get called names. If you're fat, red headed, stupid, ugly, crippled, skinny, white, black, Asian, Latino or a bad driver, you're going to get called names. Why do these people think their so special?

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Marcus Calpurnius]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Marcus Calpurnius

What the hell are you talking about? How is the teacher demonizing straight people? You do realize that this article is about children in kindergarten right? Do you honestly think that they are just allowing hate to be thrown in every direction except toward the homosexuals?

We all get called names. If you're fat, red headed, stupid, ugly, crippled, skinny, white, black, Asian, Latino or a bad driver, you're going to get called names. Why do these people think their so special?

You must have went to a pretty rough kindergarten.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

As these kids grow up,. they are going to make fun of people and get made fun of themselves. What makes gay people so special? Why should they be protect from a fact of life EVERYONE endures?

Its utterly ridiculous.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   

So the teacher should allow hatred to be in the class in kindergarten? Just because they will have to deal with it later in life doesn't mean you should embrace it in kindergarten.

Who knows, maybe setting an example of tolerance at a young age just might make them better people when they grow up.....

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Because ALL name calling is wrong, this just happens to be an organisation that deals with sexualtiy, but there are plenty of people who try to stop racism and any other form of namecalling.

Why should people of a different sexuality be ridiculed because people choose not to listen when they are told not to make fun of people???

People will still make fun of a gay person even though they have signed this card; it just brings awareness to it.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

So the teacher should allow hatred to be in the class in kindergarten?

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously worried about anti-gay hatred in kindergarten?

People will still make fun of a gay person even though they have signed this card; it just brings awareness to it.

Again, what makes them special? ?Why should kids have a special awareness of gays, but not redheads, fat kids, retarded kids, crippled kids, dorky kids?

What make gay people so special that kids in kindergarten have to sign a paper saying they wont make fun of them? Why the hell are we creating protected classes of people?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Rofl, I never quite understood the flamboyancy aspect of some... and I say some Gay Men

I went to a performing arts HS and lots of guys were Gay (which is great btw if your straight) My Hs had no football team and Half the guys weren't interested in girls, (you can guess why that was awesome right?)

and

Allot of Gay guys are just regular guys and I knew plenty of TG people and, they really go to legnths to "pass" and not be ridiculous many of them...

there is a cultural thing to the whole "performance" and, I have to admit it's amusing but, I really have trouble spending much time around it, Gay, means nothing to me...

But a parade is like... LOL, why don't a bunch of foot fetishists go throw a Parade lol... The answer, because it's ridiculous

Imagine if we all wore our diverse sexualities on our sleeves and really just broke it down that way, it would be a bizarre world alright...

Whatever your thing...you get a Parade and a mannerism to act out and a dress code...

I wouldn't actually mind the latex girls Parade, But gosh I wouldn't want to see the Latex Boys Parade YIKES!

Hard to even imagine what the dress code would be for various fetishes...or mannerisms

(where some Gay men originated loud Jewish Women from Queens I have no idea)

But what would the BDSM crowd be like if they wore it?

Maybe they'd like HISS! Like a snake when they talked and.... would walk all like Egyptians to be like Pharaoh the slave rulers? If they were Dom and squeak like little bunnies and walk around all downtrodden if they were sub?

and

G-d help us all if the Furries started going public

It's just, seriously

discrimination is stupid...

But wearing your sex life in public is also stupid I think

Just because you CAN

Doesn't mean it's not rude and foolish anyway

You know? What would anyone think at the mall if I wore a shirt that said

"I Like Vaginas"

And I talked all loud about Vagina in front of kids....

I'd be totally abused lol if I did that...

You know if it's like Friday night and your out on the strip and you want to make out in public okay....

But I don't mack my girlfriends in public all over affectionate and gropey when I'm online at the circle K

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

You can't possibly be a parent. I don't care if it is gays or dorks or whatever group you want, I DON'T WANT MY CHILD DEALING WITH HATRED in Kindergarten. Is that such a radical concept for you? If my kid comes home asking me what a "fag" is, I am going to have some serious questions about what is going on at that kindergarten.

Parents should raise their kids to not say the words that these people are pledging to avoid. The pledge shouldn't exist in the first place because parents should be doing their job.

You obviously have some serious issues with homosexuals and their "special treatment". From the sound of your replies, I would think that this pledge is in place because of how people like you raise their kids.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius
So, instead they are demonizing straight people? I love this idea that the way to correct "hate", is to demonize a group that you see as "dangerous". When we are talking race, its white people. In this case, its straight people. Notice there is nothing on there about name calling against straight people. Oh no, thats perfect acceptable.

I'd also like to know why these people think they are free from name calling? We all get called names. If you're fat, red headed, stupid, ugly, crippled, skinny, white, black, Asian, Latino or a bad driver, you're going to get called names. Why do these people think their so special?

are you high? I think you've got the entire wrong stick,not just the wrong end of it

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Well, when I was younger I didn't sign anything about homosexual or bisexual people... In fact, I learn't that they existed through the internet and occasionally television.

I did however sign lots of things saying I wouldn't be mean to anyone, and that I wouldn't be a bully. All those years where different sexualities wern't even mentioned and you want to get in a mood because for once it is the other way round? Calm down all right, I'm pretty sure that there are also plenty of times they are told not to do the other things, but that is considered normal and thus NOT newsworthy.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
And the cards are dumb anyway

2-1 odds more young boys 2 years from then will be talking about the other boys they don't like and making jokes...

"Hey Johnny got his Gay Card"

and

"that guy doesn't just have a Gay card he was dealt the whole deck"

Some things people are just going to bust on, and Gay among straight boys will never change no matter how many times you tell them to

I'm just saying some things just are what they are

Like people try and stop dope

and some Kids are just inclined

I remeber when they handed out those old rexos papers that had that smell you could catch a buzz on in Kindergarten

No matter how many times the teacher said don't sniff them... or LOL Expo markers

Some of those kids in Kindergarten ( i was one of them)

Instantly put them to their noses the minute they got them... like an irresistible force...

and those were the same kids that were still doing urm, other things when they were teens... and still are lol

no law made us stop...

and Boys will always refer to weaker males by words... always,

Sooo... bring attention to it sooner, because it will matter or change something.

Some kid in that class that day will at the lunch table have...even that young and having NO IDEA the actual sexual end of any of it... some kid will be mentioned as "needing his Gay card" or some similar thing...the very same day

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis

You obviously have some serious issues with homosexuals and their "special treatment". From the sound of your replies, I would think that this pledge is in place because of how people like you raise their kids.

Oh here we go, if you don't agree with me you must be a racist or bigot! Somehow treating everyone equally has become a bad thing. You cant just teach your kids to treat all people the same, no you have to also teach them that certain people are better than others.

People like yourself are unable to grasp concepts like equal treatment and treating people like you want to be treated. Instead, you latch on to feel good concepts like protecting certain segments of society and putting greater penalties on their feelings, than other's. Thats fine, because hey, it makes you feel good.

In the end though, your child is going to see that special attention is given to this group, but not this other. It may or may not build resentments that continue to cycle of name calling and hatred. I hope someday people like you realize that, but right now you're too busy making yourselves feel good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join