It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cautious joy as blacks imagine Obama win

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogicalExplanation
So then you want everyone to look alike and sound alike?

I don't know what point you're trying to make here but it's not making any sense.

No, it seems you want everyone to be the same, otherwise you wouldn't keep pointing it out.

There is absolutely no reason a skin colour should be pointed out when it causes negative connotations. Your skin colour should not have any significance.

The focus on our very insignificant differences is what leads to bigotry and racism.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon
Do they seriously think this guy is going to fix race relations?

I'm not sure there are many who think he's going to "fix race relations". But IF he gets elected, that will be an indication of where we are in the journey towards equality. It will mean something. Something big. It's naive to think that it means racism will be over or that Obama can single-handedly "fix" racism.

I think he will probably do more than anyone else could do today to move race relations along.

More importantly than race relations is that I fully expect him to make ground in class issues in our society. I fully expect him to do something about helping poor people. Not in a "hand-out" way, but help them get better educations, starting from kindergarten, so that the poor of our country can get out of the under their money issues and become middle class Americans.

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
The President of the United States - regardless of who holds the office - cannot and will not be able to have any power to make your daily life better.

Tell that to the millions of people whose jobs were created under Bill Clinton's presidency or the 15 million low-income families or the 90 percent of small businesses whose taxes were cut.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
Put yourselves in the shoes of a black person in America, and you'd probably be a little devoted yourself.

I see what you're saying and I agree. But I gotta tell you, there are plenty of us average white people who are pretty devoted. It's not about Obama's race, but about who he is and the change that we've been wanting for our country and the hope that that change might happen.

I'm a woman and if I knew a woman was going to be president, that wouldn't be enough to excite me. She'd have to do things that would benefit women, like work toward equality, equal pay, other women's interests.

I think black people see someone who is like them, sure, but the bigger promise is equality. It's out there in the future and a Barack Obama presidency is a HUGE indication of movement toward that equality that black people in the US have NEVER known.

I really don't think it's possible for me, as a white person, to understand the devotion and adoration many black people have for Obama, but like I said, I've got some pretty heavy devotion going on myself.

And those comments by some people about Messiah and stuff are just stupid. Just plain stupid. It just indicates that people don't know what they're talking about. Just because they're not excited and jazzed about who they're voting for, they cannot comprehend it.

Originally posted by ANOK
It's not patronising when it's true. They're not happy, just hopeful.

Absolutely! You've got it.

[edit on 2-11-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join