It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbors shocked after SC trick-or-treater shot

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Neighbors shocked after SC trick-or-treater shot

ap.google.com

SUMTER, S.C. (AP) — A 12-year-old boy was shot to death through a front door while trick-or-treating with his family, shocking residents of a South Carolina neighborhood where most people know each other well.

Police offered no motive and said it did not appear the family knew the people in the house, which is off a busy, two-lane road in Sumter, a city of about 40,000 people 45 miles east of Columbia. On Saturday, shattered glass still covered the front stoop and about 20 bullet holes peppered the front door and a front-window casement.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.allheadlinenews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Shooting at Ark. university kills 2, wounds 1

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I recently did a thread on a violent shooting. That particular case was obviously tragic, yet one got the sense of a deal involving money gone bad, followed by a retaliatory act. You get no such sense in this newest shocking story coming out of a small town in South Carolina.

I can remember the 1980s when Halloween would roll around, my mom clearly stressing not to accept gifts other than wrapped candy. I'm sure this is something all kids have heard at one time or another. What impact will this latest tragedy have on the US? No longer will we worry about the possibility of poison or razor blades in the apple... Now we have bigger concerns, bullets! The only solution is for parents to confine their kids' trick-or-treating to their neighborhood.....
If you want to go trick-or-treating outside of the familiar neighborhood folks you best be packing heat... because you never know what nutjob has a deadly firearm on the other side of the door. Now if this whacko had jumped out with a baseball bat, this 12-year old would have had a better chance of living.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

What a sick bastard!! I just don't understand the logic of a person who would commit such a senseless act. What a waste.
What could of possibly been his motive to do such a thing? I only hope he gets exactly what he deserves. This case is very bizzare, and I wonder what the investigation will uncover.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by schism85]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Trick or Treat killing

Basically, the guy thought he was being robbed again. So instead of taking chances, he shot first. He was robbed a week prior. Tragic yes.
How much do you want to bet that Obama, if elected uses this case as a justification to introduce a repeal attempt of the 2nd Amendment?

====
Mod Edit: fixed link

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

You might want to fix your link. It's not working.

How much do you want to bet that Obama, if elected uses this case as a justification to introduce a repeal attempt of the 2nd Amendment?

Or Obama (if elected) will use this case as justification to tighten laws on convicted felons' access to high powered killing devices.

Besides the question of how a convicted felon like Quentin Patrick would be able to get a gun period, there's also the question of how he managed to get his hands on an assault rifle.

Huliq News

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Many people who own firearms require psych testing.
Many would fail miserably.
This poor kid.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
As said in the article,

perhaps in a drug-induced state, though it is unclear

I believe that this could have been a case of drug induced paranoia imo. Especially if he already suffered from mental instabilities, drugs would have just made things worse. I just don't see how a sober, sane man could have mistaken a trick or treater for a burglar, and then proceed to shoot an ak through a door.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Of course the Tucson university student who killed 2 armed home invaders and saved his own life in the process last week only gets mentioned in the local news.

There's your REAL conspiracy for you, the liberal media conspiracy against firearms owners.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
i really wish i hadn't clicked on this thread but ... to late. *sigh*

how horrific and sad for this family. i really see no sense in trick or treating these days.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
If its already illegal for a convicted felon to have a gun how exactly do you go about making more illegal?

Nevermind that murder and just shooting people in general outside the realm of self defense has been illegal for quite some time now yet that hasnt seemed to stop anybody.

Laws only affect the law-abiding.

I know what you mean about the news bias. The day that idiot father got his kid killed at that gun show in MA we had an identical show here in MA and it was awesome fun with hundreds in attendance. Not one mention of the non-eventful good time, maybe a passing note of a firearm used to save a life, but complete and total coverage of the freak accident involving some psychopath which becomes a foundation for legislation and forever altering the lives of millions of law abiding Americans.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Scramjet76-
Why would you post this? It is nothing less then an appeal to emotion for your obvious displeasure with the second amendment. I'm not being a smarty pants, just a master of the obvious.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

If its already illegal for a convicted felon to have a gun how exactly do you go about making more illegal?

True, you can't make something more illegal than illegal. Also, the media does seem to have a love affair with negative stories..

The question is how can we do a better job of keeping firearms.... especially assault weapons (like AK's) out of the hands of felons. I grew up in a small american town and the neighbors across the street were complete deadbeat heroin users. It was plain as day to my father who tipped the local police off to it. Still, it took the police months to finally follow the guy to Tacoma WA (a bigger city) for a drug deal to finally bust him. Why is the justice system so slow? Luckily these neighbors were just bums on serious drugs but not particularly violent individuals.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xwino

Xwino-
I don't want to take your guns away. I am a gun owner myself. The fact remains that guns are powerful killing devices. It's not like the kid died by a "warning" shot (from a revolver or something). The guy sprayed about 30 bullets through the door. What kind of society have we built when any family lives in a neighborhood where such firepower is required to defend the home? If these people were afraid of getting robbed again why would they think the robbers would return and "knock at the door" (ON HALLOWEEN)?

Why would you post this? It is nothing less then an appeal to emotion for your obvious displeasure with the second amendment. I'm not being a smarty pants, just a master of the obvious.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Well Scram, I believe you are getting closer to being truthful in ref to the original post. Would you feel less outrage if this kid was shot with a bolt action single shot .22 ?
Your pronouncement of gun ownership will curry no favor with me. No disrespect Scram however I am not going down this overly trodden path. You know very well what your agenda was with this post !

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Xwino

Xwino-
Yes the point was this idiot who is also a felon has an ak-47. He killed a 12-year old on halloween. You can say this is a freak accident all you want but the same argument can be made for anything. I can tell you the 3000 folks who died on 911 was a freak accident and a small percentage of the 300 million people who occupy the US. The difference is I'm not advocating creating a "Dept of Halloween Security." I'm telling you we need to stop cracking down on speeders and start cracking down on high power felons. I want to see more MSM stories telling us how they are cracking down on these folks. Maybe then I won't have to read articles like this one I posted..

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Because that isn't news, no one cares about an event where everything went well and no one got killed. I'm not saying thats right or good, but you may have noticed that the news tends to be about some pretty nasty stuff the majority of the time.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is no case to say we should make firearms illegal.
That's like banning cars because people run people down.
A gun is just a machine like a car.
He could have easily opened the door and stabbed the kid to death.
Should we ban knives?
How will we cut up our food?
However some kind of psych testing for both drivers and gun owners would weed out the wacko's.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Just goes to show.. if you go ring on someone's door these days, it's wise to stand next to the door..

I got an idea.. maybe the father of the victim can go fetch his .45 and excercise his second amendment to blow this paranoid waste of breath away?

And then, the family of said paranoid tool can go fetch their beretta and kill the dad..

Hang on to your guns people.. how else could you get rid of those pesky trick or treaters huh ?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatcat

I got an idea.. maybe the father of the victim can go fetch his .45 and excercise his second amendment to blow this paranoid waste of breath away?

I knew someone would come up with this sooner or later. I was about to lose my lack of faith in human reason; thank you Phatcat, for restoring that lack of faith.

The second amendment states nothing about the right to shoot anyone. Perhaps you could read it sometime? I know, I'll make it easy for you:

Amendment 2:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.usconstitution.net...

Nowhere in there does it mention the right to extract revenge, nor the right to shoot someone.

Reading: it does a body good.

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck

The second amendment states nothing about the right to shoot anyone. Perhaps you could read it sometime? I know, I'll make it easy for you:

Amendment 2:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: www.usconstitution.net...

Nowhere in there does it mention the right to extract revenge, nor the right to shoot someone.

Reading: it does a body good.

TheRedneck

I agree, my post was a bit over the top, maybe.. starred your reply, as a thank you for pointing it out..

It was mainly in response to all the people who posted before me who didn't even give one thought to the kid that got blown away with extreme overkill. 20 bullets for a trick-or-treating kid, and the first thing on their mind is their precious gun..

And to be honest, if I owned a gun, and somebody did thàt to my son, He'd better start running and running fast, because at that point I doubt I would be able to restrain myself. That's mainly why I do not own a gun, I know myself well enough to know I'm not the best person to own one, given my temper.

And that's my whole issue with guns. Restraint, or the lack there-off, and not only on an average day but on a disastrous day like that, when your future gets shot full of holes because some paranoid # shot first and asked questions later..

I'm sure there are a lot of responsible gun owners. I believe you are one of them, based on what I have read from you so far. I'm sure your children will not be able to get at your weapons easily.

But doesn't your lack of faith in humanity extend to the mass of people who own guns and just do not fit the profile that would qualify them for owning a gun in a responsible manner?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join