It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archaeologists find camp of real Robinson Crusoe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Archaeologists find camp of real Robinson Crusoe

www.timesonline.co.uk

Three hundred years after Alexander Selkirk, the castaway who was the inspiration for the fictional Robinson Crusoe, was marooned on an island off the coast of Chile, archaeologists believe that they have unearthed evidence of his campsite.

Selkirk, a sailor born in Fife in 1676, was stranded in 1704 on the island of Más a Tierra.

The evidence uncovered at Aguas Buenas corroborates the stories of Alexander Selkirk’s stay on the island.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph .co.uk
www.shortnews.com
news.bbc.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I find this "story" has universal appeal to all. I remember reading the novel when younger and being very captivated by it.

I dint realise until now though that the time spent alone on the Island was self imposed, that he chose to stay.

This to me is the most intriguing part of the story, why would anyone do so?

Some choose to go on long religious retreats but with a set goal in mind, this though seems to have been a spur of the moment choice by the real Crusoe.

I suppose we have to consider exclusion from the crew, or a moment of madness. Maybe he was drinking to much seawater.

However another mystery here is that he took the navigation equipment from the Boat, and was the navigator, so how did the boat get back in those times without navigation aids is baffling.

It is also said that he learned to outrun goats and hunted them on the Island and had a bible, and in-fact it was the happiest time of his life.

In these times of fear of pandemics, martial law and economic exclusion from our normal social structures, maybe his experience gives us hope if anyone finds them selves similarly alone.

If the island was nice enough, weather wise, and also in regard to resources. If I had a choice of books to take, oh and maybe one nice local girl left too I am not too sure that I would not shun modern life for such a simple and honest, un-stressful life.

Would You?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Where is this island? Ive got a boat, all i need is a compas..

I'd love to live on an island, hunting for you food, building your own log cabin.. I love all this survival stuff.. this is quite fasinating for me..

As a child i used the love the movie, you've brought back alot of memorys for me by posting this. Camping on the beach, i used to pretend i was on a desert island, i used to catch fish and cook it over a fire my dad made.. brilliant..

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Truther

Ah truther same here, maybe he had the right Idea eh.

I find this is the appeal most have especially men/males to this story, it evokes memories from those days you describe.

Long days out in the wilds, woods, building campfires, singing with friends around the fire, gazing at the stars, the excitement when you first camp out of hearing unknown Noises at night and all the mental image ary that evokes. I was more than convinced once or twice when very young first camping that in the UK I heard a Wolf or bear "just outside" the tent, lol.

Exploring unknown places that seemed like no one had been there before.

The play of the fire and torch in the pitch black night of nature, wondering what was just beyond the light, the smell of smoke on the clothes when you got home.

Being a Man and Free for the first time, as you say catching you first fish and cooking it over the fire.

Those were the days.

Though it must be said im sure the weather was different then, it always seemed like long dry weekends!

Is the boat big enough for two?

The Island is by Argentina, I wont tell them im British :-)

Maybe three take a nice Hottie to!

A genius Idea, maybe Springer et al can get a big white cat, create a sinister laugh get an eye patch and buy an ATS island so we can all escape and start afresh

new topics

top topics

join