It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Soviets Join Nato

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I suppose you could see this is several different ways. 1. Ex soviet nations join NATO, perhaps out of fear of Russia and China.
2. For monetary benefits.
3. NWO taking place.
In all honesty, I believe that choice one would be the real reason why. But I could just be paranoid.
story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040329/ap_on_re_eu/us_nato_expansion_6

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Maybe the leaders just got sick of being stuck in military stagnation and their countries being treated as marginal, not to be take seriously? This is a way to become a part of the free world, as they think. "Full and equal partners"- they become respected.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
I suppose you could see this is several different ways. 1. Ex soviet nations join NATO, perhaps out of fear of Russia and China.

They join because it's of great benefit to their armed forces. They get the best weapon technology, the best tactical plans and the best exercises to test them on.

The fear isn't of Russia. Give it 10 years and Russia will be a member of NATO too.

NATO guarantees stability within a country too. Since Bosnia, new member states know that if their regimes hit the floor, their people aren't going to be destroying their own societies and sending their countries back to the dark ages as NATO will safeguard their infrastructure. NATO is an image as much as an actual physical organisation too. It is seen as a stable political force representing democracy.

To some of the newer countries, joining NATO is actually a mark of becoming a civilised society. It isn't all just about military hardware.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leveller

The fear isn't of Russia. Give it 10 years and Russia will be a member of NATO too.

nato was made to destroy russia, those useless bastards got no purpose now

news.scotsman.com...

Nato has agreed to include three Baltic states under its air defence shield, planning to enforce it by stationing four F-16 fighter planes in Lithuania. The planes will make regular flights near Russias border, close enough to conduct reconnaissance.

If significant Nato military bases appear near Russias borders and change the balance of forces in this region, then we cant exclude that Russia will consider the possibility of taking corresponding action so that the balance is not breached, Kosachyov said.

Asked what those measures might encompass, he said boosting Russias own military deployments in north-west Russia but he added this was a development no one wanted.

A former Russian Air Force commander, General Anatoly Kornukov, suggested a harsher response: shooting down Nato planes.

"Because of NATO expanding we should apply tough policy, including tough measures to NATO aircrafts. If an aircraft violated the state border, it must be shoot down. International law allows this", said general Kornukov who is currently Co-Chairman of the Expert Council on the Issues of Air and Space Defense, Interfax reported.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The quote is from a military man who has spent all of his career opposing the West. Do you expect anything different? He doesn't have the political clout that he used to carry in the old regime though, and although his words should not be discarded, they certainly don't carry the same weight as a decade ago.

I believe that Russia will become a part of the EU. The progression into NATO will occur either just before or after.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
NATO is as mentioned a respected and stable group within Europe. Countries are eager to join for those reasons mentioned.

However i feel NATO may be almost a defunct force. EU countries are seeking to have a EU type force, already several nations have commited forces to EU military units.

I doubt the US will let this happen but may be forced to if NATO member states decide to commit forces to EU units instead.

Joining the EU is not easy with many economic constraints imposed and fines issued if member states do not toe the line. However many see the EU as a requirement to allow member states to compete as one against the US on world markets.

Already getting around Europe is so much easier if you are a citizen of a EU country. No passport needed, just a valid ID card and trade between member states is also easier.

NATO is a stepping stone to EU membership.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Jesus, Im here trying to support the dismantling of NATO, and here they are expanding it. God, am I the only one to see NATO's prupose is long past, just as was its evil twin, the Warsaw pact?

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
Jesus, Im here trying to support the dismantling of NATO, and here they are expanding it. God, am I the only one to see NATO's prupose is long past, just as was its evil twin, the Warsaw pact?

No---your not alone Skadi...i'm of the notion
that NATO is only one face of the Beast !!

those ' 7 ' former WARSAW Pact nations
will (as prophesied) 'Share Power with the Beast, for one hour"

NATO serves the function to the Global Model
as FEMA serves to the USA national Model.....

[[but, the Many, shall be deceived !]]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I think you guys are overlooking the obvious benefits.

The intergration of countries into NATO FORCES them to take better control of their region and not to indulge in attacks with others in NATO.

Take Turkey and Greece over Cypris, they are being forced to reunite the island BEACUSE they both want to be in NATO.

Therefore it gives a strength to shakey nations and helps protect those that might be vulnerable to instability and takeover.

new topics

top topics

join