It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ways to work the system . . .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Hi All,
Wanted to see what you all thought of this. I was talking to some folks a couple of days ago about government waste/abuse. There were a couple of examples which I will detail below, but I wanted to see if we could get a list started of more examples/comments.

1. There is a type of "welfare" called "section 8" if I remember correctly. People who get access to this will have a certain portion of their rent paid for them. So the scam is that two people will buy houses, and rent to each other, and collect Section 8 to drastically reduce, or eliminate their rent.
2. Evidently, anyone from any country can come into the US that is 65 or older (I think I have the right age there) and collect Social Security bennefits, and TONS of them are doing it. BTW, I am not sure if this is true but evidently Baby-boomers only make up for 5% of the people on this system. Everyone else are the ones I mentioned above, and no one seems to want to talk about it.

I think this stuff is pretty interesting, and wanted to find out what you all thought.
-P

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
yeah section 8, welfare and medicare system can be abused, but i don't think it is a waste. The majority of the people on these programs do have a valid need. The problem is each case is not investigated thoroughly before deciding if help is warranted or not.

but i don't think those issues are as big of a waste as some of the things done in washington....marble floors in buildings...new offices for this official and that official... and the rest of crap that our officials get away with...sorry no time to research the details for you..but the abuse is there...you only need to look.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have a Section 8 on my street, about 7-8 people (plus kids) live there. They came from a South American country and seem to need all of the help they can get. I really dont see it as "working the system".

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There is a type of "welfare" called "section 8" if I remember correctly. People who get access to this will have a certain portion of their rent paid for them. So the scam is that two people will buy houses, and rent to each other, and collect Section 8 to drastically reduce, or eliminate their rent.

Ok, I don't know this topic very well to be honest, but I wouldlike to know, if these older people can apply for section 8 does this mean that when they "buy" the house, or if they do section 8 it means that they will still be owing monies to the government????

Sounds like to me it's just another way of trapping people (old people) into the system, so that they can gain more from these people........ Baby boomers are contributing to the government, but maybe not enough so they are searching for innocent individuals to come up with the rest of it?? What about young poeple, how come they don't have a deal like this???
If they want people to become dependant on the government why wouldn't they use these people as props instead of old retired almost dead people?? It seem a little harsh to me...

I don't know if i'm off topic here, but that question led me to all this mumbo jumbo.. hope you understand it.. if not, tell me, i'll try and clarify, as i've had a few beers.
Regards,
TL

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
you can't buy a house with section 8.

landlord agrees to charge low rent for everyone in the building, those on section 8 get rent money to subsidize the cost of living there...they still have to put up some money of their own into the rent.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I agree, and I should have mentioned something about that in my first post. The problem is that some people are legit, and some aren't. I was talking more about ways that the system is being abused, not the legitimacy of the system itself.

-P

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51
I have a Section 8 on my street, about 7-8 people (plus kids) live there. They came from a South American country and seem to need all of the help they can get. I really dont see it as "working the system".

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I used to work in the consumer credit field and you would not believe the amount of people who are getting "sec 8 " housing.

In Kentucky, for a 2-3 bedroom apartment, they pay $8-$15 per month for rent. That's it. Most of these people do not work either. I know that a lot of them are over 60 yrs etc, but there were also a lot of younger people, ( single mothers ) etc getting Sec 8 housing that are very able to work.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I have an apartment community about 1 mile away that is entirely section 8, its neat and well kept, the parking lot could be mistaken for a new highend car dealership. Makes it look much better than my neighborhood full of working stiffs.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by postings
2. Evidently, anyone from any country can come into the US that is 65 or older (I think I have the right age there) and collect Social Security bennefits, and TONS of them are doing it. BTW, I am not sure if this is true but evidently Baby-boomers only make up for 5% of the people on this system. Everyone else are the ones I mentioned above, and no one seems to want to talk about it.

I'll talk about it long enough to tell you it's poppycock. Where did you hear 95% of people on Social Security are foreign born? Or for that matter that you even collect social security without paying into the system? That's YOUR money they are giving back. If you don't work, you don't get benefits later. Haven't you ever gotten a SS statement? It's based on how much you pay in averaged over time and projected over your adult life.

Social Secuity is NOT welfare by any means. Neither is unemployment insurance for that matter. Both are PAID in advance. Just a pet peeve of mine that people get wrong alot.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Hi All,
Wanted to see what you all thought of this. I was talking to some folks a couple of days ago about government waste/abuse. There were a couple of examples which I will detail below, but I wanted to see if we could get a list started of more examples/comments.

1. There is a type of "welfare" called "section 8" if I remember correctly. People who get access to this will have a certain portion of their rent paid for them. So the scam is that two people will buy houses, and rent to each other, and collect Section 8 to drastically reduce, or eliminate their rent.

I think this stuff is pretty interesting, and wanted to find out what you all thought.
-P

All the above is not true. First one. Section 8 is not that easy to get. You really cant get it if OWN a house.

2 Only if you are from another country and have worked here all your life, can you collect SSB.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Thanks for your comments, but you need to go back and re-read my first point. I wasn't saying that people that own houses could collect Section 8. I was talking about something else entirely.

I would be interested to read more info on what you stated in your second point. That is what I thought as well, but I wasn't sure where to look for that information, and I thought someone might have more information confirming or denying it laying around. Let me know if you do.

-P

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Hi All,

-P

All the above is not true. First one. Section 8 is not that easy to get. You really cant get it if OWN a house.

2 Only if you are from another country and have worked here all your life, can you collect SSB.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I work with Hud on a monthly basis, Hud being the govenring body over the section 8 Program. We have 15 homes with 15 families that recive goverment funding.

The thing about section 8 is, it changes from street to street, city to city, to state to state.

"So the scam is that two people will buy houses, and rent to each other, and collect Section 8 to drastically reduce, or eliminate their rent." It is not reality now. maybe 10 years ago, but not now.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Here is more information on the issue. Anyone see any places where this can be subverted?

216.239.53.104...:QPtH5iuF4yQJ:www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/t/totalization.htm+immigrants+%22social+security%22&hl=en&start=20&ie= UTF-8

-P

Originally posted by RANT

I'll talk about it long enough to tell you it's poppycock. Where did you hear 95% of people on Social Security are foreign born? Or for that matter that you even collect social security without paying into the system? That's YOUR money they are giving back. If you don't work, you don't get benefits later. Haven't you ever gotten a SS statement? It's based on how much you pay in averaged over time and projected over your adult life.

Social Secuity is NOT welfare by any means. Neither is unemployment insurance for that matter. Both are PAID in advance. Just a pet peeve of mine that people get wrong alot.

top topics

join