posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:32 AM
And here is another 1 as promised in my previous thread
While they’re not a living part of your body, most people spend a good amount of time caring for
their hair and nails. The next time you’re heading in for a haircut or manicure, think of these
1. Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body. If you’ve ever had a covering of stubble on your face as you’re clocking out at 5
o’clock you’re probably pretty familiar with this. In fact, if the average man never shaved his beard it would grow to over 30 feet during his
lifetime, longer than a killer whale.
2. Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair. Unless you’re already bald, chances are good that you’re shedding pretty heavily on
a daily basis. Your hair loss will vary in accordance with the season, pregnancy, illness, diet and age.
3. Women’s hair is about half the diameter of men’s hair. While it might sound strange, it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that men’s
hair should be coarser than that of women. Hair diameter also varies on average between races, making hair plugs on some men look especially
4. One human hair can support 3.5 ounces. That’s about the weight of two full size candy bars, and with hundreds of thousands of hairs on the human
head, makes the tale of Rapunzel much more plausible.
5. The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger. And the nail on the middle finger of your dominant hand will grow the fastest of all. Why is not
entirely known, but nail growth is related to the length of the finger, with the longest fingers growing nails the fastest and shortest the
6. There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee. Humans are not quite the naked apes that we’re made out to be. We have lots
of hair, but on most of us it’s not obvious as a majority of the hairs are too fine or light to be seen.
7. Blondes have more hair. They’re said to have more fun, and they definitely have more hair. Hair color determines how dense the hair on your head
is. The average human has 100,000 hair follicles, each of which is capable of producing 20 individual hairs during a person’s lifetime. Blondes
average 146,000 follicles while people with black hair tend to
have about 110,000 follicles. Those with brown hair fit the average with 100,000 follicles and redheads have the least dense hair, with about 86,000
8. Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails. If you notice that you’re trimming your fingernails much more frequently than your toenails
you’re not just imagining it. The nails that get the most exposure and are used most frequently grow the fastest. On average, nails on both the toes
and fingers grow about onetenth of an inch each month.
9. The lifespan of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average. While you quite a few hairs each day, your hairs actually have a pretty long life
providing they aren’t subject to any trauma. Your hairs will likely get to see several different haircuts, styles, and even possibly decades before
they fall out on their own.
10. You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone. You lose hundreds of hairs a day but you’ll have to lose a lot more
before you or anyone else will notice. Half of the hairs on your pretty little head will have to disappear before your impending baldness will become
obvious to all those around you.
And more to follow .....
This is something i'm doing for a work at school and i intend to put al my work on here to to educate the mass somewhat ......
Credit to Christina Laun ( for the nice research into this)
[edit on 1-11-2008 by Spartannic]