It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10 Cool facts to know about the Hair/Nails

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
And here is another 1 as promised in my previous thread

While they’re not a living part of your body, most people spend a good amount of time caring for
their hair and nails. The next time you’re heading in for a haircut or manicure, think of these
facts.

1. Facial hair grows faster than any other hair on the body. If you’ve ever had a covering of stubble on your face as you’re clocking out at 5 o’clock you’re probably pretty familiar with this. In fact, if the average man never shaved his beard it would grow to over 30 feet during his lifetime, longer than a killer whale.

2. Every day the average person loses 60-100 strands of hair. Unless you’re already bald, chances are good that you’re shedding pretty heavily on a daily basis. Your hair loss will vary in accordance with the season, pregnancy, illness, diet and age.

3. Women’s hair is about half the diameter of men’s hair. While it might sound strange, it shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise that men’s hair should be coarser than that of women. Hair diameter also varies on average between races, making hair plugs on some men look especially obvious.

4. One human hair can support 3.5 ounces. That’s about the weight of two full size candy bars, and with hundreds of thousands of hairs on the human head, makes the tale of Rapunzel much more plausible.

5. The fastest growing nail is on the middle finger. And the nail on the middle finger of your dominant hand will grow the fastest of all. Why is not entirely known, but nail growth is related to the length of the finger, with the longest fingers growing nails the fastest and shortest the slowest.

6. There are as many hairs per square inch on your body as a chimpanzee. Humans are not quite the naked apes that we’re made out to be. We have lots of hair, but on most of us it’s not obvious as a majority of the hairs are too fine or light to be seen.

7. Blondes have more hair. They’re said to have more fun, and they definitely have more hair. Hair color determines how dense the hair on your head is. The average human has 100,000 hair follicles, each of which is capable of producing 20 individual hairs during a person’s lifetime. Blondes average 146,000 follicles while people with black hair tend to
have about 110,000 follicles. Those with brown hair fit the average with 100,000 follicles and redheads have the least dense hair, with about 86,000 follicles.

8. Fingernails grow nearly 4 times faster than toenails. If you notice that you’re trimming your fingernails much more frequently than your toenails you’re not just imagining it. The nails that get the most exposure and are used most frequently grow the fastest. On average, nails on both the toes and fingers grow about onetenth of an inch each month.

9. The lifespan of a human hair is 3 to 7 years on average. While you quite a few hairs each day, your hairs actually have a pretty long life providing they aren’t subject to any trauma. Your hairs will likely get to see several different haircuts, styles, and even possibly decades before they fall out on their own.

10. You must lose over 50% of your scalp hairs before it is apparent to anyone. You lose hundreds of hairs a day but you’ll have to lose a lot more before you or anyone else will notice. Half of the hairs on your pretty little head will have to disappear before your impending baldness will become obvious to all those around you.

And more to follow .....

This is something i'm doing for a work at school and i intend to put al my work on here to to educate the mass somewhat ......

Credit to Christina Laun ( for the nice research into this)

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Spartannic]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Thank you! Interesting. I went to beauty school over twenty years ago, and I learned about the hundred hair thing. I love telling people this tiny bit of trivia, most people are unaware. And the color one, I think that is interesting, poor redheads!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
yea great thread! never really bothered to learn about the hair and nails...

i just loathe trimming both of them..

i wonder how they care for fingernails and toenails in 50,000 years?

do they have fingernails and toenails in 50,000 years?

there's something to do for a "work for school"..

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
In case you didn't know, the human finger nail can STORE DIGITAL DATA for about 6 months!!!

optics.org...

Talk about TYHUMB DRIVE@!
Bad joke I know!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by adrenochrome

well when i looked at al those lame project i embarked on in the past i decited to make something that would be both fun and educational and really believe me when i tell you it got me hooked

Lets all say it out loud: DENY IGNORANCE !!!!

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Spartannic

Spartannic: You have an URGENT U2U. Please respond.
here

-Badge01
Forum Moderator

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

reply has been send m8

no 1 line posts for me :-)

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

reply has been send m8

no 1 line posts for me :-)

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Interesting fact that you’ve mentioned. I would just like to enumerate an addition that one must know difference between hair shedding & hair loss. In shedding normally the hair grow back but in hair loss it does not. So you must know what you’re experiencing. About 30feet of hair seem slight exaggeration because all hair follow a cycle in which they fall down and start growing again. It is Anagen – Catagen - Telogen cycle.
edit on 6-10-2014 by rahul2630 because: missing

posted on Jun, 1 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Black is the most common hair color in the world. Red, which only exists in about 1 percent of the world’s population, is the rarest. Blonde hair comes in a close second, with only 2 percent of the population.

Hair can grow just about anywhere on the body, except for the palms of your hands, the soles of your feet, and on your lips and mucous membranes.

Hair is more elastic than you think! It can expand by up to 30% of its original length when wet.

Do you ever see a lot of hair in the drain after showering? That’s normal–we shed between 40 and 150 strands of hair a day. However, if you use a wooden hairbrush, instead of a plastic or metal brush like this the amount of shedded hair will be significantly reduced.

When did it become popular to color hair? In 1950, only about 7% of women colored their hair, but in 2015, it’s up to about 75%.

Beauty can take time. The average time a woman spends to wash, dry and style her hair is 1 hour and 53 minutes a week. By the time she is 65, she will have spent 7 months of her life doing her hair.

Cutting your hair does not affect its growth, but it does help to avoid split ends, which can work their way up the hair shaft and make the individual shafts thinner, giving your hair the appearance of not growing.
Next to bone marrow, hair is the fastest growing tissue in the human body.

Hair is mostly made up of keratin, which can also be found on the outer layer of our skin and nails.

On average, hair grows .3 – .5 mm per day, 1.25 centimetres or 0.5 inches per month, and 15 centimetres or 6 inches per year.

(post by manisthajain removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

join