It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am starting to hate VISTA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 04:58 AM
link   
that is all I wanted to say... I am just about ready to either throw the pc off the table or uninstall and put xp back on.

what a load of rubbish. wtf is it with microsoft? I suppose for all the suckers that bought it they will have to wait for a service pack to fix the issues.

omg I am so peeved, I am going to go for a walk.

grr

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Dont get angry, the wait is almost over, just a little bit more time, and windows seven will come, so my opinion is to wait for a few months and we have a new os which does not have any nagging problems of vista(atleast thats what the microsoft website said)

So, before you burn vista

Stay sticked to the seat for a while.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I am all for updating and improving technology but it just seems the latest and greatest isn't the greatest. Now, I am a dissatisfied VISTA customer and will no doubt buy the next operating system.

Maybe we are all suckers and perhaps we should just stick with a program that is doing what it does... XP is imo better than vista.

And why does microsoft sell the suite as a complete office package that you can interface with each other program without issues. It doesn't interface and I am very angry, hence the rant...

stamping my feet...

I'll get over it or persist with it, no work through it and find alternatives to issues.

grrr

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Ha, I hated Vista as soon as i started using it. Every program i tried to install wouldn't work because Vista thought it was some kind of virus... Plus the programs that i did manage to install, didn't work anyway because they were not compatible.

This is the real meaning of Vista...

Viruses
Intruders
Spyware
Trojans and
Adware...

Vista

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Forget Windows, go get a copy of Linux Mint. It's FREE, it comes bundled with all the office and graphics applications, it's faster, safer and better than Windows.

And did I mention it's free?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
well mate didnt you know!? newsflash vista sux XD
they were just so obssesed with legal/warez control that they maked a crappy system

thats the biggest joke and proof we live in a nightmare.
there will ALWAYS be hackers!
they will ALWAYS be better then YOU!
and you cant do ANYTHING to stop them(:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
My system is a bit strange. I have a triple boot system. Win 98, Win xp pro, and open SUSE Linux 11. Never touched Vista and I for one am glad that I haven't done so.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

That looks pretty damn cool. Stretchy wobbley windows! beat that microshaft.
And hell its FREE FREE not FREE with a catch. Cant go wrong.

So what about my programs? if I have Microsoft and I get Linux can I still use them? Im not too clued up on all that. I know Linux are said to be less headache and much better, thats about all I know of Linux. I just wish any program worked on any machine its getting up my nose like mobile phones and sim cards.

Can I dual boot Vista and Linux on my computer? (32 bit HP Vista) Ive already got XP on disc if I ever need it but I dont want 3 plus operating systems.. dont even want 2! Just one.. I dont wana ruin the Vista thats already working fine.

I know that sounds odd everyone else is screaming but mine hasnt gave me any grief apart from windows updates failing. So that definition of VISTA from
JDN24 makes no sense to me I havnt had one virus, trojan, nothing - zilch. In fact I was getting pretty bored of scanning with various spyware apps and updating them as nothings ever found and I use all the top gadgets but the security was tight enough before I added them. My machine runs stealthy as possible minus proxys. Fast (quad core) does all I need it to do except make me coffee.

Sometimes I think some people have problem computers and blame software, but I also doubt thats the case and Vista must be crap. Well why is it not crap for me? I use every media thing going and I make music on it.

If its not broke dont try and fix it I hear, so I doubt I should switch OS until it freaks out on me. But that wobbley windows Linux does look sweet.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
You can't use Windows and Linux on the same partition. You would need to divide up your hard drive to do that. Some Linux installations give you the option of resizing a partition. I'm not sure how well Linux would do as far as resizing the partition that Vista uses though.

There is a program for Linux called WINE. It allows you to run a number of Windows program through Linux. It's not perfect by any means though. For example I have a 3d graphics program (Bryce) that I use. I've discovered that I can run my program through Wine but it won't let me right click to do certain things. So like I said, it's not a perfect solution.

On the good side though is that if you do word processing there is a program called OpenOffice that comes with most (if not all) Linux distributions and it's great! One thing about Linux though that is problematic in my case. To get the most out of it you need a net connection. No problem for the typical user but in my case my net connection is through a modem that connects through my USB port so Linux can't run it (yet). It will handle a network connection through a Network cable though just fine.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Deson

I connect via ethernet. My drive is 500gb and not partitioned.. and I havnt got Vista on disc if all fails Id have to use Linux or XP if it did, could do without a setback. I'l download a copy for later but I think I'l stick to whats working for now. Cheers.

[later edit]

I now have Mint 5 XFCE (which I chose after long reading and hit and hoped for the best of the 4 for me) on disc but it needs a lot of updating and tweaking to reach the above videos level its miles away. Does anybody know if it FULLY works while using it from the CD test mode? or do I have to install it to get full functions? It has the fusion thing installed and enabled and I see lots of themes and settings galore to get lost in, but nothing works except windows colors and transparency.

There are over 50 packages to install do I need all of those?

My soundcard doesnt work when I run it either, onboard, or my audigy add on.

And where does the hard drive go to? isnt like windows I cant click my computer and see my drives it tripped me out. Is that normal?

[edit on 3-11-2008 by Observer_X]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Deson

Very nicely partitioned. I tinkered with a win98/winxp dual boot for a while.

Then I formatted and am using just winxp pro now.

I am using my old p2 400 with 512 megs of ram for win 98 now and to play all my old games I have on cd rom. Much much better then trying to play old dos and win 98 games on this new computer. Much less of a pain. lol.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I AM STARTING TO LIKE VISTA
Beat that.Been using it for a month or more now and no worries except it wouldnt install an older version of elements, but i dont care its a good excuse to upgrade.I seriously think to many have just drunk to much haterade and hopped on the hate wagon.My Vistas way faster than i ever got out of XP and i have had no problems with it what so ever.I honestly dont see what everyones problem with it is(maybe compatibility issues with older stuff?).I even put of buying a new laptop because i thought Vista was the devil and i was swayed by popular opinion now im glad i have it.I can even view raw photos through the picture viewer without having to start another program, which will come in very handy for me.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer_X

You won't be able to access your hard drive from the demo disk, but if you chose to install Linux you'll find it has a file manager pretty much like Windows. With a 500GB Hard drive you should have no problems setting up a small partition (~10gb) to install Linux and have a dual boot system with Vista. To get the windows effects - cube, wobbly windows, etc. you need to install the program and then install Linux drivers for your videocard. I have the XFCE version of Linux Mint and the install is a piece of cake. Earlier versions had problems if you had mixed drive types - Sata/IDE

Try it, I think you'll like it and you can always boot back to Vista if you don't. There's also an app called VirtualBox that will let you run Vista in a window on Linux. I've never tried that though.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Thanks for that very helpful. I guess I will install it then. I tried updating it when I ran it but they didnt seem to work, is that because its on the disc too? Ive already looked into the virtual box yeah it blew my mind you can set up everything with all this. My machines a quad so things fly along fine even with Vista, as Azador said above I have to agree with all of that too.

Ok Im off for fun and games anyway

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
i hate vista, installed Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction, now it wont let me play on battlenet, with my level 63 barbarian, full IK and a helltorch small charm (for those who don't know, thats some of the best stuff you can get)

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

OH Jesus Christ, I hear you!

I worked in a computer shop for years up until recently and the
that I had to work through.

Why the hell did microsoft decide to make a more confusing, pointlessly-complicated os that's riddled with RAM and CPU speed wasting addons that will never be needed, used or even wanted?! :bnghd:

The number of times that I had to turn of the thing that constantly asks you if you really wanna move/delete/copy?
SAKE!

[edit on 11/7/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The only problem I really had with Vista so far is UAC. That's the piece that's always asking "Are you sure? Really? This might be bad! Ok? Seriously? You might die if you allow this...etc."

I haven't had much issue with compatibility. The few programs I tested that had problems are old enough that they aren't really worth using anymore anyway.

I have to say I chuckle a bit when people try to convert others to Linux. Don't get me wrong, Linux is a fantastic OS. If you know what you're doing you can easily make it your main desktop OS, but there are still some things that, if it doesn't work out of the box, can be almost impossible for your average user to troubleshoot. Maybe this app needs a certain version of gcc to compile or this driver needs that kernel version or you can't get 3D acceleration because your chipset isn't supported by the free drivers - when you get the proprietary driver from the manufacturer it's only compatible with certain versions of X.org or Xfree. Wifi doesn't work because you need to hack the firmware from one of the Windows drivers first...I could go on.

Not everyone will run into all of these, but these are issues that pop up ALL THE TIME with linux. Once you get everything working the way you want, I will be right there with you arguing that it (at least in some cases) is a better OS than Windows. Even with wine (which can be a major PITA to setup correctly), don't expect to run your favorite Windows apps. Some work great. Most have issues or don't run at all. The upside is that there are a LOT of free linux apps that are equivalent to popular Windows apps.

Anyway, if your beef is with office it sounds like you should be complaining about that rather than the OS. Try openoffice.org.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

I know what you mean about the UAC. :bnghd:

I'm running xp and because the latest versions of office are just arse so I still run Office 2000.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Yeah I tried office 2007 for about 5 minutes and uninstalled it. The fancy new ribbon UI is too different for me to take the time to learn. I've been using OO.o now for a few years and it does everything I need. The only thing I've run into that it can't do are password protected office files. They might have even fixed that since last I tried though.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by an0maly33

Well I have an easy way around that. I have a password protected partition on my HDD. And with over 5 years experience with 2000, I can do anything I want with it and even stuff it was never designed for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join