It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society without God:Better or worse?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthParadox

Originally posted by calihan123
Everyone has sex.

Great - thanks...
I was just starting to feel normal.

haha. aw.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
And meanwhile, it is organized religion that has been the only soical force in America to actually, successfully stand up to the government..... but what we need, according to many, is LESS of that.

That's not entirely true.
Is it because of a person's religion that they form organizations which help other people?
Do you really think that these same people wouldn't be just as willing to help if they didn't believe in God?
Let me tell you from first hand experience that Religion does not make you a model citizen. When I was a Christian, I had less morals than I do now, because I was indoctrinated with the belief that my brother who doesn't believe in God is going to Hell for all eternity just because he didn't believe in a magical fairy creature- and I was taught that it's ok.

It's truly amazing what people will follow and they don't even stop to think about what it is they're following.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
many societies have tried the no religion thing
Communist Russia
Communist China
France after the revolution

Obviously,it doesn't work worth a crap ,non religious societies are just as corrupt and authoritarian as religious ones

Religion is not the answer ,Atheism also not the answer

Looks like the human race will have to growup if it wants a better world

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Better without a belief in a personal God. Man would then use his brains to begin to solve his own problems rather than waiting for some anthropomorphic God to save us who dosen't exist. We are destroying our planet because we think that some god has given it to us a toy to use and abuse (and then think he is going to swish us away because we have been "goody two shoes").

Give me secularism and humanism any day, because this latest love of ignorance (and hatred of science and logic) by the Christian right is ruining our world in every manner possible.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I found this whole concept extremely ironic.

Who is doing the moral thing?

The man doesn't care about others but acts like he does because of incentives.

OR

The man who has empathy and understanding for others and wishes to cause as little pain as possible.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by deepred
reply to post by Good Wolf

Do you think the "moral imparitive" is flexable? Hitler believed it was a moral imparitive to remove the "lower functioning" from the gene pool for the betterment of society.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by deepred]

When speaking of society in general I don't think we can use Hitler as an accurate example of anything, especially moral imparitive, as the majority here on earth aren't mass murderers.

I think it is flexible to a certain extent, but there's a difference between having different views and being totally sociopathic.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
When you talk of a society without God, you of course are thinking of your own Christian God. There are many societies on this planet and a lot of different models have been tried throughout time.
The "Godless" societies named previously like China and the Soviet Union introduced a devotion to and worship of their leaders, elevating them to a godlike status, ergo they were not "Godless".
Probably the most godless society today exists in Denmark where state and religion have been separate for ages and most people, although claiming a Christian belief, just don't think too much about it and go to church once a year if at all.
Strangely enough, they manage to exist and provide free schooling, free medical, 6 weeks vacation a year for everyone, a years maternity leave and a low crime rate among just a few benefits in that "godless" society.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by bruxfain

What baloney. I hate how christians think they have a monopoly on morality. I am a athiest yet I am highly moral. What keeps me moral is my belief in humanity and the power of love and good in this world. You don't need a God for that. Human values are common to a lot of religions.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
When there is no God, then there will be no life anymore as well. So, God is with everyone, everywhere, at all times.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by invisiblewoman

Communist China and Russia are terrible examples. They were communist, so any religious stance was overshadowed by the communist contribution.

As for the French... Well they were just
French.

I wanna see a modern capitalist relgionless nation, I'd like to see a humanist society.

[edit on 11/3/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Armin

Says you.

To rid the earth of religion's corrupt and destructive nature would be wonderful.

WOO!! Go Transhumanism (H+)!

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Armin

Says you. There is no evidence for that, so believing in it is somewhat irrational.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
[edit on 3-11-2008 by Jezus]

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
It is direct and stays in my memory.
The best and most beautiful things in the world stay in your heart.
Thanks for your kind words!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bejing
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
- Albert Einstein

Bejing, Thank you for the quote.

Volumes of insight were given in one simple sentence. Awsome!

Is It is direct and stays in my memory.
The best and most beautiful things in the world stay in your heart.
Thanks for your kind words!
this a direct and acurate quote or from memor

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
You will all get to see the world without religion soon enough. The UN will ban it soon and then you can all be free of its constraints. I wonder if you atheists will be happy with the outcome?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Communist China and Russia are terrible examples. They were communist, so any religious stance was overshadowed by the communist contribution.

As for the French... Well they were just
French.

I wanna see a modern capitalist relgionless nation, I'd like to see a humanist society.

[edit on 11/3/2008 by Good Wolf]

Russia and China are perfect examples because it illustrates that in the absence of religion the substitute BECOMES THE RELIGION,or humans can *F*UP a cheese sandwich

The French went all the way and just invented a religion to replace Christianity ,I forget what they called it now,it didn't catch on

I am on your side though I would love a planet without a religious bias I just don't want punishment for believing or not believing,that's where the problem is,it's either kill and suppress all the atheists or kill and suppress all the people who aren't worshiping the state approved religion,when will we ever learn neither one EVER works

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Ah yes, I see what you mean about the communists.

A bit of conjecture, unless the elite shut down the internet (free press) and peoples liberties (free thought) agnosticism and atheism will become prevalent in time as our culture matures.

I'm going to enjoy watching the fall of organised religion.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Imho, we'd be better off without organised religion.
I think a possible solution would be that either
#1. Everyone can follow their own chosen religion, however, for the sake of progress and the advancement of humanity as a whole, i think that religion should come second to "science" used as quite a loose term.

After all,(correct me if i'm wrong) i think i can safely say that it's scientific advancement that's done more for humanity than religion

"Science" gave us the wheel, fire, irrigation etc, all the way up to modern medicine, the computer i'm typing this post on, the landline that it's going to be transmitted through, and the internet on which all you guys will read it.

On the other hand, religion as we know it couldn't have given us those advancements.

#2(being the more extreme) The total abandonment of organised religion.
Having(i'd imagine) much the same effect as above, with no (imo) outdated moral scruples to hinder the advancement of human society.

As for all the OP questions about morality and good/evil etc. I'd say that by now, regardless of how we came to possess them, the sets of acceptable behaviour, if you will, are already so ingrained into our collective conciousness, that we no longer need religion there to guide/coerce/force us into doing the so called "right thing".
Oh and for the record, good and evil are completely ridiculous concepts.. let's be honest here folks, it's all about perspective.

Yrael.

just my input

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

What would the new moral standard be?

Would we still choose good over evil if there was no reward or punishment?

you talk too much.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join