It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Society without God:Better or worse?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifer Rising
reply to post by bruxfain

You know what I enjoy about you? You never really answer to anything. You accuse, assume, and assign. I respond, joyfully answering to every charge and question. You just ignore the same volley back and move on to your next set of irrational arguments that are going nowhere. I would kind of like to know what land your race of elves comes from. I cannot help but believe that will only help this discussion further.

I answered questions. You rejected them. As far as my eyes can see and my mind can understand, I am honest to the best of my ability.

I'm from here, America.

So what is so irrational about this argument...Society without God would be a worse place; or more accurately not a place at all, as it would certainly disintegrate, literally.

I brought up current events illustrating how knowledge is insufficient for Society to survive and that faith and God, are the only reason you are here to be able to have this conversation with me.

Please what is so irrational about this? I would like to hear this answer.

PS. Do you know what psychic terror is?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bruxfain

"We have lost control," said Hale, quoting Bernanke. "We cannot stabilize the dollar. We cannot control commodity prices."

Its funny because it is true. This world has been taken from man and most don't even know it yet. But you obviously have the face to explain your point of view despite it failure.

Yes, um those were greedy people discussing how their greed has caused them to fail. What does that have to do with god or science?

Oh, its them now, not, "we as a people". Do you often socialize success and privatize failure? From my point of view they are the same as you. They are Godless and faithless, which explains their greed and their need to control something.

Their knowledge caused this problem their lack of faith nearly led to complete collapse, but something else is supporting this world which is a good sign for us all. Even mortals.

I will try this again and I will type slowly. THEY ARE NOT SCIENTISTS MAKING SCIENTIFIC DISCOVERIES. Lots of people make bad decisions all the time and cause bad things to happen. That has nothing to do with advancing technologically without god.

You are really stretching for this argument. They have nothing to do with the "we" when discussing the advancement of humanity through technology. They are shiesters who controlled money. Where is the link?

What connection are you trying to make?

I am talking about the church imprisoning a man for discovering that in opposition to what they believed was the word of God, the Earth was not the center of the universe.

That gave the world the fundamental choice...is every scientist a heretic and should be silenced? Or is it possible that the church's belief in what they thought was God's word might need to be revoked.

I was talking about how belief in god "It is just God's will" is antithetical to scientific discovery.

How the hell do you link that to financial debocles?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I answered questions. You rejected them. As far as my eyes can see and my mind can understand, I am honest to the best of my ability.

I'm from here, America.

So what is so irrational about this argument...Society without God would be a worse place; or more accurately not a place at all, as it would certainly disintegrate, literally.

I brought up current events illustrating how knowledge is insufficient for Society to survive and that faith and God, are the only reason you are here to be able to have this conversation with me.

Please what is so irrational about this? I would like to hear this answer.

PS. Do you know what psychic terror is?

The pure level of stupidity in this argument is tiring. Current events and people's "knowledge" have nothing to do with anything I am talking about. Are you suggesting God should have been in charge of our money? Go get him, you met him once.

It is a huge stretch to say that because some people used what they knew, or thought that they knew to foul things up...we need god. Where was god when all those priests were touching little boys? How about when falwell, Baker, Haggert, were doing the unsavory things that they did.

Show me one society that runs smoothly because it has a belief in god.

If you look around, you will see that there is more murder and sin in the most religious places of the world and this is not a new trend except for the growth of secular societies that do not seem to kill each other as often to prove who god promised land to.

P.S. Where do elves come from in America?

Yes, psychic terror is what the government uses to keep us afraid and sheeplike, they learned it from God.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by Lucifer Rising]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Let's try it this way. list all of the societies that have been godless and fell because of it. Now list all the societies that have known god and fell because of it.

I will give you a hint, you will not be able to finish the second list in your lifetime, but the first will fit on a few pages.

Or are you saying you know the one and only true god and EVERYONE else that claims to know one is wrong? This causes some problems with your argument too.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Society without God:Better or worse?

Would society advance faster, or decline faster, without the belief in a higher power? A higher power that holds people accountable for there actions and sets moral values.

Above is the first couple of lines from the OPs original post. I didn't see anything about God putting the breaks on Technological Advancement or that being the topic. That is your addition.

Nevertheless, technological and scientific advancement are in no way hindered by belief in God. They are advanced by a belief in God and destroyed by a lack of belief in God. Where are you getting your information?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

You really need more examples of Religions silencing scientific discoveries? You cannot be serious.

I am responding to the OP.

I do not need a god to tell me what is right and wrong. Why do you?

You need a god to tell you how to be a good boy or girl? That is the only way a society can survive? Ok SHOW ME ONE!

My ethics are not so far from most peoples 'morals' the difference is that i do not need someone else to set the rules and hold punishments and rewards over my head to get me to do it.

So, society is far better off WITHOUT GOD.

What does god ever give us? War, murder, rape, hampering of scientific discovery. That is what god gives us besides those silly rules that we do not need god for at all.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
You are not understanding anything. I didn't say that because our System nearly collapsed, we should turn to God. I am saying that our system hasn't collapsed because of God. Thus, society is better with God.

What is so difficult for you to understand?

Your way has already failed, your way is no longer in control of anything. Its already done. Your beliefs in what would improve Society or inable advancement has already been disproven.

Psychic terror is the moment of truth for a liar.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
It is inevitible that a collection of individuals who die in a short period of time would begin collecting their most profound and usefull priniciples and thoughts. Why could it not be possible that this is all a natural progression.
If you choose not to look for lessons and wisdom and then through faith in them explore their principles then pain is all that you will know in education. Everyone deserves a chance to avoid the pain of fumbling around in the dark, but that would require faith in somone elses experiances. "seek and you shall find" "knock and the door will be open to you"

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
My personal belief / opinion is that the human condition is to that we are evil and greedy and stupid and that it is no coincidence that civilization really flourished under the framework of Judaic law.

People point at religion as something that causes all the problems but without it I wonder where we'd be. I don't think we'd all be holding hands and drinking Coke together but I could be wrong.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

You are not understanding anything. I didn't say that because our System nearly collapsed, we should turn to God. I am saying that our system hasn't collapsed because of God. Thus, society is better with God.

What is so difficult for you to understand?

Simple. I do not understand how you can say that as fact. What did god do to intervene and how would you know? Did he tell you personally? Was it at a special elf/god meeting?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Your way has already failed, your way is no longer in control of anything. Its already done. Your beliefs in what would improve Society or inable advancement has already been disproven.

My way? When were we doing things my way. You just said that God intervened in the countries financial matters. When were we doing things my way?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Interesting, considering you claim to be over 120 years old, yet on your profile it says your birthday is May 8, 1971.
Oh, and I like prototism's answer.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by flyindevil]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Sorry, my bad. I am so stupid. I just realized that I am trying to be logical with an elf that was an old man 120 years ago. Silly me, maybe I should go play with the reptillians or Pleadians instead.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiskeyswiller
My personal belief / opinion is that the human condition is to that we are evil and greedy and stupid and that it is no coincidence that civilization really flourished under the framework of Judaic law.

People point at religion as something that causes all the problems but without it I wonder where we'd be. I don't think we'd all be holding hands and drinking Coke together but I could be wrong.

Hard to tell since we have never given it a try. To see the wonders religion has done for us though, all we need to do is look around. War, genocide, rascism, slavery, rape...all in the name of god.

We have given the idea of god a real good try. So far it has fallen short of it's promises. Or is everyone holding hands and drinking coke together somewhere and I missed it?

Like you said, you do not know what a society completely free of god would be like. It has never been fully realized anywhere. Please tell me where having god around is working out so well, I will move there and convert in a second.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyindevil

Interesting, considering you claim to be over 120 years old, yet on your profile it says your birthday is May 8, 1971.
Oh, and I like prototism's answer.

So, what you believe is that if I am 37 years old right now that the old man in the picture to the left cannot be me? He has my face and my name. It must be me, so what is your point?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

So, what you believe is that if I am 37 years old right now that the old man in the picture to the left cannot be me? He has my face and my name. It must be me, so what is your point?

What is your point? Are you trying to have a real conversation about a society without god or play games about your avatar and your LARP character?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Yes, your way. your beliefs. The way you would run the world has been disproven.

I watch the news that's how I know.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

What is your point? Are you trying to have a real conversation about a society without god or play games about your avatar and your LARP character?

That reply wasn't for you, but you can't have a real conversation because you can't stick to the topic.

Which is that the world you'd build has already been destroyed. The only world that remains is the world of God.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

No, what I am saying is I can't trust you. I don't think a person can be over 120 years old and 37 years old at the same time.
P.S. I swear I've seen that photo somewhere else, but I can't seem to remember where.
P.P.S. This thread is starting to go off-topic.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Um...no.

I have been all over the topic. Of course that response was not to me, but I am like that.

When did we have 'my' world? I must have missed that.

Seriously. Just answer these things

1. When and where did my world ever exsist.

2. What is "my" world?

3. How would you know?

4. Where do elves come from in America?

5. Why should anyone take an elf seriously about anything?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join