It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Call For Unity!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I have been reading this board for a few months now. Some threads have put a smile on my face, others have sent chills up my spine with the possibility of doom upon this earth, and yet others have forced me to turn the computer off with visible signs of disbelief and obviously upset at what I was reading. But, none have compared with what I have been witnessing in the last months.

A few nights ago I went to bed with a tear in my eye unable to comprehend what I was reading. That night, I wished that the worst case doom scenario came upon us and wiped us completely off the surface of this planet. I sunk deeper and deeper into the belief that we, humanity, do not deserve this planet nor do we deserve to be saved and that the best thing that could happen to us is to terminate our existence.

I came to the realization that we are so deeply divided in this country (USA), that stereotypes are so engrained in us, that no matter what one person does or says to change the perception they will never be listened to. They will be tossed aside by the rest of society and be labeled.

Thread after thread the division became clearer and lager. Democrats against Republicans against Independent against Environmentalist, etc. Blacks against White against Blacks against Hispanics against (fill in the blank), Citizens against Illegals, Christians against Muslim against Buddhist against Jews, Neighbor against Neighbor…

I have read threads where Democrats point an angry finger at Republicans for the troubles of our economy without thinking that it was our representatives that allowed the mishandling of it because we failed to hold their feet to the fire. Threads were a person has been punished for wearing an “Obama” pin and most everyone applauding at the cruelty and lack of respect to a fellow human being simply because they choose to think differently.

Threads were debunkers with their admirable desire for the truth have shredded a person’s character till there was nothing more than the equivalent of the electronic carcass on the board. Leaving, even, me with the desire to never come to this site much less post anything due to the absolute fear of being “discipline” as some might politely phrase it. Where believers with their strong ideas have labeled everyone a “mole” or worse and are unwilling to engage in an open dialog with anyone genuinely wanting to find out more.

One thread in particular where a Republican supporter was supposedly attacked by an Obama supporter and physical injury inflicted was the pinnacle of the visible division in our society. Accusations were flying, finger pointing was rampant and stereotypes were spread throughout the thread. However, once it was found out that the accuser had lied, I did not read one, not one apology or any regret by anybody from either side about the sickening comments that were posted.

The bible says: “let he who is without sin, cast the first stone”. I don’t profess to be the savior nor do I claim to be free of sin. I have had my share of encounters and mistakes and for that, I am truly sorry. I can only trust in myself that the next time it happens I will be human enough to accepted it, recognize it and change my ways at the same time extending my hand in apology.

Our forefathers have given us the knowledge to advance as a society but we have chosen to close our eyes, ears and mind to their teachings and have instead decided to focus on our own ego and individualistic ways. We have so easily been able to throw out on the side of the road our responsibility to help our fellow man/women in favor of “what’s in it for me” mentality. We have lost all respect for humanity.

(continued)

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
However, I believe that RESPECT is what should drive our every day interactions. Wikipedia defines Respect as: esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person. Respect does not mean agreement with someone else’s opinions or beliefs but rather tolerance of those beliefs and person.

Mexican president Benito Juarez Garcia in his speech on July 15, 1867 proclaimed "Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz" , “Between individuals, as between nations, the respect for someone’s rights equals peace”.

“Men are respectable only as they respect” Ralph Waldo Emerson

”The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to an opponent, tolerance; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect; to all men, charity.” Benjamin Franklin

If we allow this belief to permeate every molecule within ourselves, to become the one rule that is unbreakable, we will see not only the wrongs of our past actions but the true potential of humanity.

No, this is will not be an easy journey that I propose, but a necessary one. One in which if we fail, humanity will continue to be consumed with wars, genocide, political tensions, racial and class frictions. But as my dear brother always says before he starts a marathon, “you always begin with the first stroke” and it gives me hope for humanity.

I was at my son’s school today waiting to pick him up and I saw a magical sight, the unadulterated smiles of dozens of children and the untainted minds and actions of our children, the pure desire to belong and be part of something larger with no inherited bias or stereotypes. So, I asked my self, where did we go wrong? At what point did we loose our ability to reason and use common sense? How did our neighbor become our enemy? No, this is not the world I wish to leave for my children or even my enemy’s children!!

Thus, I call on you not as a constituent of a political group, not as a member of a religious organization, and not as person of a particular color, but as a citizen of the human race to stretch your hand in friendship across the table and with civility and utmost respect embrace your brother’s/sister’s hand in harmony.

RESPECT and UNITY is that which will allow us to transcend today’s difficulties not only here in the USA but around the world.

Respect and peace be with you all my brothers and sisters.

Mods, please move thread if necessary.

[edit on 1-11-2008 by brownflyer]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I hear your call for UMITY and hereby send my hand to you via this post in order to do so. What you have said in this thread and your post to it has found a place with me, as I see that what you say is the truth. We here in America, and even here on ATS spend to much time finger pointing at each other instead of getting together to turn to our elected officials to hold their feet to the fire that you speak of to hold them to the issues that really matter to "we, the people." In fact, I think this call to unity should also be used to ask "we, the people" to do what is right and get out and vote for whoever it is that they wish to vote for, be it Democrat, Republican, or even a third party candidate. This is a perfect opportunity for everyone to show the unity that you asked us for.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thank you Wally,

I couldn't agree with you more. WE have failed in our responsibility not only to exercise our rights in politics but our reponsibilities as a member of society.

I just hope that this elections will open our eyes and recognize this division and instead of blame and division we can work towards unity.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
dont worry, its not really that bad. Its just that, people with highly biased opinions, like to be heard. The majority of the people, are not once sided, and so they do not post. Of course you are going to find nothing but extremism in words. Those that understand dont say much, they are waiting for the natural order of unity to arise because they know that is the true norm. So cheer up, and realize you are part of a huge movement that will always be the majority, yet never in the spotlight. Truth does not boast, Truth does not need to prove itself, Truth waits for its time.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It is people like you that give me hope for humanity Psychedeliack!

However, I feel I can no longer wait. I WILL no loner wait when these abuses happen. Change must start with the "first stroke".

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Life is whatever you want to make of it. If you want to live your life worrying about the future, and what is destined to happen to mankind eventually... youll never learn how to truly live.

We wont be here forever. We know that already. The world changes and we wont always be able to change with it. But we are here today. And for that you should be thankful, and go out there and make the most of the time you DO have here on this earth.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
One thing to remember is that the personality one displays on the www.
Is more than likely just wishful thinking. It's so easy to seem tough and ruthless, strong and selfconfident when alone in your room with no one to call you on your BS.

I find the cyber world pretty much just fantasy.

I also find the REAL world filled with compassion, Love and beauty.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Excellent post OP. I couldn't agree more. The issue of respect is the key log indeed. I developed a methodology which I believe are essential steps to respect and finally peace. (actually I think there is another step beyond peace, that being Joy... for another time). Here is a summary of the process: The steps to peace. For those who don't want to bail, these are the steps in my view:
HOPE
FAITH
TRANSPARENCY
COMMUNICATION
RESPECT
PEACE.
While the steps can be addressed in any order, final and complete execution must occur in order for the concept proceeding each step is the primary, essential component of the next.
Notice, as you implied, the final two steps are respect, followed by peace (unity).

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by calihan123
Life is whatever you want to make of it. If you want to live your life worrying about the future, and what is destined to happen to mankind eventually... youll never learn how to truly live.

We wont be here forever. We know that already. The world changes and we wont always be able to change with it. But we are here today. And for that you should be thankful, and go out there and make the most of the time you DO have here on this earth.

I do try to live my life to the fullest whenever possible without hurting enyone. I have picked the ripest fruit from the tree. I have drank from
the best wines. I enjoy and love what this earth has to offer, but then I look over my shoulder and see nothing but hatred for that someone that within his/her rights whishes to be different. What good is the tolerance that the religions speak of? What good am I to humanity as a bystander?

I see my role as a student and a teacher. As a student to learn as much as I can from my fellow man/woman, from my children and from everyone and everything around me. As a teacher, to teach my children and anyone who wishes to part of my life respect, goodness, love and compassion. We cannot just look at our existance in the "here and now" but we must also ask how we can make this world a better place.

You're absolutely right, Calihan, in that our time is limited here on this earth and it is exactly because of that that I wish to see a word living in peace and harmony. Imagine a world where children don't suffer the loss of their mother or father to wars. Where you could be accepted regardless of your race, religion, political views, etc. Wouldn't that be a world to truly enjoy and savor?

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
One thing to remember is that the personality one displays on the www.
Is more than likely just wishful thinking. It's so easy to seem tough and ruthless, strong and selfconfident when alone in your room with no one to call you on your BS...

I do believe that the internet provides us with anonimity and because of this we tend to be more, lets say, "agressive" since we don't have to confront anybody in person.

Let me just turn that around and suggest that maybe, just maybe it allows us to be our true selves and we don't have to conform to the "moral" standards (or lack thereof) of society.

steps in my view:
HOPE
FAITH
TRANSPARENCY
COMMUNICATION
RESPECT
PEACE.

Verbal knit, That's it!! I fully understand your method and I use a similar process but I like the clarity of yours better. I begin by defining the problem not just stating the problem. So by using PEACE as the ultimate goal: What is peace? Define Peace? I break it down to its different components:

PEACE = respect, Love, understanding,

I would then take each one of those components and break it down further just as you stated in your thread.

In essence, I keep asking the question until there are no more answers and you're at the basic building blocks. Making the change to that basic block will impact all of the succeeding blocks. Sometimes, however, there are multiple answers to any one block and it gets very complicated. Ofcourse as always, it is easier said than done.

So, I will ask you, please define "HOPE" and "FAITH".

[edit on 3-11-2008 by brownflyer]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
i reject your call for unity as i rebuff any who with flowery phrase and soft syllable try to convince me to lay down my arms and join the grubsucking masses of the sheeple caste.

there are divisions because there are differences. different needs, different wants, different agendas. it is the will to actualize these agendas, at the expense of all other agendas, at the expense of our friends and neighbors, that gives life its zest and zing. will. the will to power. it is the will to power that urges each blade of grass up through the ground on a spring day. it is the will to power that urges lover into lover, that urges and orders birth and sex and death and everything in-between.

it is a sickness of the brain and therefore of the soul (they are one in the same) that sometimes causes people to say "no, i cannot take this anymore. why can't we all just get along?" "i love everyone!" is the last gasp of the enervated, defeated soul.

i urge everyone to keep to your differences. keep alive that resentment and anger and ambition that separates you from your neighbor and keeps you who you are. unity? pish posh. no one with an ounce of fight left in them deserves to allow themselves to fall down and go under with the sheeple and the hive mind. keep alive that part of you that is selfish, that struggles, that grasps and covets and desires. because that is your will. that is you. and anyone who wants you to find "unity" and serenely, calmly surrender those things that matter most is asking you to give up all.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I respect you Oswald,
and I applaud the passion with which you live your life as I also share that passion. The ability eat, to drink to live to love and make love, to grab that last ray of sunshine before you succumb to the day and then begin again fighting your way out of mediocrety in order to know that you're alive, and not just living but alive without the fear that someone will be there to discredit you, to single you out or make of you just another statistic.

No, the unity and respect I speak of is not that which will erase your individuality, your sense of self or worth nor will make you love everyone. The unity I speak of is one that will allow us to find a common ground and fight for what is right and wrong in unison, to unvail the forces which oppress us and keeps us from our rightful enjoyment of this planet and our true individuality. The unity that will form a single bond that will take not just an army but a cosmic force to break it down in order to defeat us.

And when the time comes, and we have to fight in order to safeguard our rights and protect our freedoms for us and our children's children, I will raise my arm with my weapon firmly attached. You will find me at the front line not full of fear but full of knowledge that I had done all I could to make this a better world, and will be proud and honored to be walking next to you.

top topics

join