It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by venividivici
THe firewall, if it is robust, will tell you everything about the program. Keyloggers are nasty. They steal passwords. If you do online banking then check your accounts.
superantispyware is a great free program I use to clean up
google it, try it
edit to add
The above will show you what programs are running in the background.
[edit on 31-10-2008 by venividivici]
#######Ten Commandments for Your Computer Sanity by Snift!####### 1. Dont assume anything. Make some time to learn about securing your system.
2. Acquire and use a reliable antivirus program. Select an antivirus that has a consistent track record. Checkmark, AV-Test.org and TuV are among the most respected independent testers of antivirus software.
3. Acquire and use a reliable firewall solution. Again, independent reviewers are your best bet for reasonable choices. Some operating systems come with a firewall which only filters incoming traffic. Use a firewall that can control both incoming and outgoing Internet traffic.
4. Do not open e-mails coming from unknown or distrusted sources. Many viruses spread via e-mail messages so please ask for a confirmation from the sender if you are in any doubt.
5. Do not open the attachments of messages with a suspicious or unexpected subject. If you want to open them, first save them to your hard disk and scan them with an updated antivirus program.
6. Delete any chain e-mails or unwanted messages. Do not forward them or reply to their senders. This kind of messages is considered spam, because it is undesired and unsolicited and it overloads the Internet traffic.
7. Avoid installing services and applications which are not needed in day-by-day operations in a desktop role, such as file transfer and file sharing servers, remote desktop servers and the like. Such programs are potential hazards, and should not be installed if not absolutely necessary.
8. Update your system and applications as often as possible. Some operating systems and applications can be set to update automatically. Make full use of this facility. Failure to patch your system often enough may leave it vulnerable to threats for which fixes already exist.
9. Do not copy any file if you don't know or don't trust its source. Check the source (provenance) of files you download and make sure that an antivirus program has already verified the files at their source.
10. Make backups of important personal files (correspondence, documents, pictures and such) on a regular basis. Store these copies on removable media such as CD or DVD. Keep your archive in a different location than the one your computer is in. If something happens and you think you may be infected by Viri/trojan/spyware/keylogger ect, download Highjackthis! from URL icrontic.com... , make an account on the site, do a system scan and post the log in the Spyware & Virus Removal section and they will fix you right up. Here I have listed a few good and free utilitys to keep your system safe, I have used a few but the majority of the people give them a thumbs up. **Spyware Removal** Ad-Aware 2007 - icrontic.com... (Older versions where decent, not tried the new one) CCleaner icrontic.com... (Uber program, reg cleaner, harddrive cleaner ect all in one, name stands for CrapCleaner ) CWShredder 2.19 - icrontic.com... (Only used for when you get the horrably annoying CoolWebSearch or CoolWWW spyware that refuses to die any other way) AVG Anti-Spyware 188.8.131.52 - icrontic.com... (Never used but AVG = nuff said) Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 - icrontic.com... (Have to be carefull with this one in advanced mode, it will dig and remove any and everything related to an ad or spyware on your system, even built in ones in the older MSN Messenger and they refuse to work but DEFANATLY does its job very well, also comes with IE guard,TeaTimer in the same package. Basicly a software-chainsaw, I never leave 127.0.0 without it) Anti-Virus AVG Free - free.grisoft.com... (arguably the best antivirus ever) Kaspersky 30 day Trial - www.kaspersky.com... (never tried it) Avast! 60 day trial, free after registration - www.avast.com... (never tried) If you decide to get one of each of those, perferably AVG Free,Spybot and if your really naughty, Zonealarm Free firewall, www.zonealarm.com... its a bit annoying with the question asking at first but i promise it gets better, just look at what wants access to the net, if your unsure, google it.
Originally posted by gotrox
And don't use I.E.
Firefox 3x with noscript plugged in------no more driveby downloads and self installing scripts.
And remember---only 1 type of each for protection, if you don't want massive problems and a very slow computer.
Free ones are very good, but I prefer Zonealarm security suite for an all in one solution. Mccaffee and Nortons have caused me no end of problems in the past.