It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sudden change of mind.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
So today I went to vote, long story short I did something unfathomable by myself.

I was going to vote for Obama almost tentatively, but when I was choosing, I mindlessly voted for McCain instead.

It just happened like that, I lost all of my logic at that point.
All I had in my mind was "No, Obama can't be president."

Now I am regretting the choice and not sure what to do. My friend also had the same thing happen to him for the exact same reason, he changed his decision on the last minute.

If this happens too much could McCain actually win? Do all Obama supporters really support Obama? Or are some only pretending to escape scrutiny? I don't think I was either. I simply lost all logic.

Has this happened to any of you?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I guess that is the so-called Bradley effect in action.

I voted two days ago. I briefly considered McCain -- what if? I truly respect McCain.

But then I remembered that I could make a historic decision for utter change, the likes of which have not been seen during my entire life.

My heart beat faster.

And I voted for Obama. No regrets, yet.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Buck Division

I guess that is the so-called Bradley effect in action.

Bradley effect..? I say it was more a Freudian slip...

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Sounds like you voted logic over emotion! Sure there might be a little buyers remorse, but it usually doesn't last that long! I got a feeling you and your friend are not alone. I do believe that people are guided in the right direction when making important decisions. Guardian angels? Conscience? The voice of reason? Call it what you want, but something of the sort helps people make hard decisions!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
So today I went to vote, long story short I did something unfathomable by myself.

I was going to vote for Obama almost tentatively, but when I was choosing, I mindlessly voted for McCain instead.

It just happened like that, I lost all of my logic at that point.
All I had in my mind was "No, Obama can't be president."

Now I am regretting the choice and not sure what to do.

What you should do to clear your conscience is to get two people who you feel will not vote to vote for Obama. That way you cancel out your original vote and add a net new vote for Obama. That is what I would do were I in your shoes.

Originally posted by die_another_day
Has this happened to any of you?

Never in a million years. lol
But seriously, people do silly things sometimes. Don't beat yourself up too much about it, unless you live in a battle ground state.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
A lot of people still haven't made up their minds, in spite of the constant pressure of the media to give Obama this election.

The large economic downturn turned the tide in favor of Obama, but with the economy turning around and gas prices dropping, the ever fickle voting public could go either way.

The GOP should continue to push the possible reality that the unpopular democratic congress could expand their control, and that we would be better off with a repub pres and a demo congress. This is probably McCains best chance. This election is still up for grabs.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
possibly some mind altering microwave frequencies are being emitted in voting centers so that people get really anxious and make stupid mistakes. It's okay though, because it's all one big stupid mistake regardless of who you vote for.

EDIT:

Oh and by the way... have a drink on me. Let's all quit our jobs and get *snip* drunk and beg the puppets tp beg their masters to push the big red button and end this stupid experiment so we can all move onto better illusions.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by dunwichwitch]

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 11/1/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Well, if you are voting for Obama because you want to do something historical, then you are voting for all the wrong reasons. If you get in the voting both, and realize that you honestly think McCain is the better candidate, then vote for him.

No one should feel guilty about not voting for Obama. That seems to be the way the the whole thing is being pushed.

If you get in the booth and decide you want to vote for McCain, then vote for McCain. People who want you to think it is wrong to support McCain are truly evil. This isn't how the election is supposed to be held. We are supposed to vote for the candidate that we think will do the best job.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I have a theory that the reason Obama has so much support, is because white people want to vote for a Black candidate just to prove once and for all they are not racists. Like a badge of honor.

But your post is a good example of why my theory is true. You supported Obama, and convinced everyone that he was the guy you would be voting for, but when you got into voting booth, you changed your mind and picked the better candidate instead of just voting to earn your badge of honor.

Obama might be slaughtering McCain in the pre-election polls, but I think this election just might be closer than a lot of people think.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Shortly before the election I considered McCain. I used to want him to run because he seemed like such a stand up guy, but then he changed.

I personally believe this change is simply so he can get the base conservative vote. However, his addition of Palin is what caused me to not consider it in the end. As soon as Palin came to mind, I immediately banished any though of McCain.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Palin was chosen to solidify the conservative vote, and she has done just that. She is against Earmarks, and government spending, which is a big departure from the repubs of the GW admin, so while her religious beliefs are a bit wacko, fiscally she could be a good thing. As far as foriegn affairs, lets say, that if Palin was in charge, I think our enemies would tread very lightly. She is a real enigma.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

I just have to disagree. She has not proven herself fiscally. In fact, she has shown wasteful spending just like every other politician. Everyone brags about her executive experience, but fail to mention she's only been governor for 4(?) years (or is it 2?).

Worse than that, I don't believe any enemies will "tread lightly". The phrase is "walk softly and carry a big stick", not "threaten everyone and act like a madman". Personally, I think there are far too many with their fingers on the button already and I am not interested in putting another in power.

She seems like a loose cannon to me, that's all. She seems to have the same attitude towards critics, the media, the other party, and the same world opinion as the current administration.

I think she has also been exceedingly over the line with her attacks on Obama.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

You can vote? I guess I made a bad assumption as to your standing here in the U.S (citizenship or the like)

I used to like McCain in his earlier days as a congressman but his connections with Pinochet, Oliver North and Libby changed my mind. I am surprised that not everyone could see the stark differences between McCain and Obama from the start and be absolute when it came time to vote.

Glad to see you again Die_another_day

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

So then you do think she is just as qualified as all the other politicians. Her record as governor is too short, but she has indeed demonstrated that she can be fiscally conservative. That is what she has done.

As far as attacks go, that is currently her job as the Veep candidate. In addition, Obama's attempts to make anyone who attacks Obama guilty of some kind of crime is despicable. More importantly, Obama's supporters have gone after Palin with a vengence, as has Obama. This holier than thou attitude by the Obama camp disgusts me more than anything.

I repeat.

No one should have to feel guilty for not supporting Obama.

No matter how hard Obama tries to portray anyone who criticizes him look like the bad guy, this is their right. If Obama can't take criticism, then he is in the wrong occupation. I am tired of this technique.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I think this is going to happen to a lot of people when they actually go into the voting booth.

Call it a slip, a loss of logic, or a realization of logic....but I think this will happen a lot and make this race very close.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

1) There is a difference in attacks by Obama and attacks by Obama advocates.

2) Please show me something comparable from Palin continuously trying to equate Obama to terrorism from Obama. What attack has he done on her that is even close to that?

3) She got a few hundred million dollars to build the famed "bridge to no where" (which she supported). The funded was cut, and she abandoned the idea. However, she did not return the money. How is that fiscally conservative?

There is also this: McCain criticized Wasilla earmarks in 2001

What about her excessive wardrobe? What's conservative about that?

Palin Billed State for Nights Spent at Home

This is conservative?

ANCHORAGE, Sept. 8 -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin has billed taxpayers for 312 nights spent in her own home during her first 19 months in office, charging a "per diem" allowance intended to cover meals and incidental expenses while traveling on state business.

I don't think that's defensible. I happen to be an advocate of fiscal conservatism, and Washington is just not built for it right now. They all take advantage of the system.

4) When has Obama himself tried to call any attacks a "crime"? I think he was fair in calling people out on the Ayers garbage, but I don't believe Obama has done much whining about anything.

Now, Palin on the other hand, has done plenty of complaining about the drive-by media and their "gotcha" questions.

So, please, explain your position better by citing examples. It is hard to argue with you when I don't know what you are referring to.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Witness2008

Glad to see you too =D.

Yeh I can vote, immigrated and changed citizenship. Only way to get all the benefits here is by becoming a citizen, but you can never change your skin color and appearance. I will be living here for rest of my life and I'm still pretty young.

Also, I never liked McCain because of his similarities and connections with Bush. Obama was definitely my first choice because of principles, some logic, the media, and peer pressure. Maybe the latter 2 changed my mind.

And I don't know about Palin, what if McCain won and dies? That will become a disaster.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
So if Obama has his troops attack Palin, it is not the same as Obama attacking Palin? Sorry, I don't buy that logic.

I would say the pettiness of the wardrobe attacks is more slimey than the terrorist association attacks. Obama's terrorist associations are relevant, while Palin's wardrobe is not.

Congress gave her the money for the bridge, even though she told them she didn't need it. She took the money, and spent it on more important projects. Sounds like she did the right thing, while Obama who voted for the Bridge to nowhere TWICE, was acting the fool.

I have been specific, while you are all over the board.

Look at Palins record, she has reduced the money that Alaska receives from the federal government, while remaining popular. You want to pretend this isn't true.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Also there's people who don't like either McCain or Obama.
I voted(absentee ballot) for Ralph Nader, and never felt any remorse at all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join