It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice-Man DNA a Mystery

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
off topic a little i know but I read the book about this guy, it was very interesting to see what they were able to deduce about him from what was found on and around his body, down to the belief that he was on the run from someone or some group. even the circumstances around his discovery, the weather conditions, ice melt and the condition of his body showed that he'd never been uncovered in the 5000 years he'd been there and that a few days after he was discovered by a person on a climb, the weather closed in and he would have been covered up again. amazing that someone just happened to be passing at that crucial point.

hmmm maybe a conspiracy in there after all

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by populardisbelief

First of all, yes, that is off topic. Secondly, I think you're confusing Abraham with Moses.

So if his subgroup doesn't exist anymore it could be possible they were wiped out during a war or widespread epidemic of some sort. However, considering the Aussie scientists claim to have found a direct descendant is interesting...

I wonder though, what do they mean by "very, very close" relation? Are they saying all of Ötzi's or his tribes descendants live in just one area, or even just one village of fairly closely related people? Seems possible, since I remember hearing about an Italian family or community who are all pretty closely related.

I did some quick research and indeed found info on that village. This article covers the subject pretty well along with some links: Genes, health and inbreeding in an Italian village. It may be only loosely related to this but might bring up some interesting thoughts.

It could be possible that Ötzi's descendants live similarly isolated.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Helioflorae]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JbT

.... Its not ATS news worthy. I dont think. At least not to the general ATS populous looking for conspiracy, mystery and suspence.

Now, is it science news worthy? sure is. But I go to science journals to read science new. I come to ATS for the fringe topics.

I respectfully disagree with you on this.

My reasoning, if you will indulge me, is that in watching this thread evolve as it did, you demonstrated excellent observations; but failed to find the nugget underneath.

Science; as you and I see it through the mainstream media, is a business. Organizations garner millions of dollars in 'research' funding, it is a very profitable business. Managing grants to the tune of billions in the case of some larger "Funds", "Trusts", and "Foundations". But in lean times (particularly like those we are in now), most governmental funding of research diminishes significantly.

Enter - documentaries, commercial sponsors, and media coverage..., all generating income.

Thus stories like these which are hardly, upon deeper analysis, entirely earth-shattering are re-engineered, and marketed to appeal to the public's sense of 'glamor', which has the added benefit of making it easier to justify more research grant applications.

This is a promotion of the research some university is doing, bled into the media mainstream for a purpose. Otherwise it would only appear on page 552 of this years 4th volume of Neoclassical Paleontology Society Quarterly.

Personally, by the way, I find the subject fascinating and really appreciate the op's sharing of the find.

Just goes to show you, if you look for a conspiratorial triviality hard enough, you'll probably find one.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Hmmmmm

some lineages wiped out in Europe

can anyone say Ghengis Khan

JbT

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
I respectfully disagree with you on this.

My reasoning, if you will indulge me, is that in watching this thread evolve as it did, you demonstrated excellent observations; but failed to find the nugget underneath.

You are totaly right, thankyou for pointing this fact out to me.

There is always two sides to a coin, I must remeber to keep telling myself this

[edit on 31-10-2008 by JbT]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

You're right, but ATS is used to discuss mysterious finds in mainstream science as well, isn't it? I think a well known, multimillenial man who's genetic ancestry or contemporary descendants can't be traced qualifies as ATS worthy stuff

But that's just my opinion.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Good to see that this has generated some interest.

I'm normally in to the, alien + monkey (aquatic monkey theory too) = you, and just love it when something pops up that should really re-write the history books. Now I'm not saying that this warrents a re-write but a few paragraphs need changing here and there.

Glad I managed to stir up some people out there.

Remirah

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe
I think you're all missing the point. There are genetic markers passed down in the mitochondrial DNA that identify your race (or at least the races of your ancestors). They can trace back almost everyone to the origins of the different races we have today, but they're saying they don't know where this guy came from because there's no trace of his ENTIRE RACE today.

Weird...

Any way they can clone his DNA and create a new race of humans or atleast one to see what they were like.?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
dit dit dit - dit dit dit
This just in:
Iceman mystery solved

Genetic research, published in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology, also confirms that his roots probably lie in Central Europe.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yeah, that would be indeed cool if they found Oetzi's descendants. But apparently they haven't so... oh well.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join