It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama deadens 'change' expectations

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is not news. At least not to anyone who's been following his campaign or listening to his speeches. He's been saying all along that it will take time to implement his changes.

Sorry that you're not the person to say, "I told you so", because I know you'd love to be that person. But you are not. And if you'd been listening to him, this wouldn't be a surprise to any of you.

No one I know expects the boat to turn around on a dime. But as long as we get the right person at the helm, that's the first step.

I talked about this in June... Here

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
It's sad to say, but this really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

I mean how many do you think honestly believed that Obama would come in and immediately fix things and "change" everything?

That real sad part is; probably a lot.

Wait a minute - I thought he was the Messiah. I thought the Messiah could do anything. I feel like Sally sitting in the pumpkin patch with Linus, waiting for the Great Pumpkin. What a rip off.
There is no Great Pumpkin and Obama isn't going to save the world.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Ron Paul Girl

Reminds me of something obama once said, that had already been said, "Words. Just words." That appears to now be his campaign message and his main talking point!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

You have to admit, there are a lot of unrealistic Obama supporters out there and even on this board who think that when Obama is elected, things are going to just magically get better almost immediately. Obama is saying that's not going to happen. The economy is still going to suck, troops are still going to be in Iraq (remember he went back on his word to withdraw troops from Iraq way back in the election) and things are going to be relatively unchanged for a long time to come.

Well, for instance, take the first case study in his 30 minute infomercial. That lady had a problem keeping snacks stocked up in her fridge for all her kids (and there were many of them). The poor children had to ration their snacks for an entire week. What is a soccer mom to do. Obama has apparently promised her that if he's elected, there will be an endless supply of healthy Snickers bars and Skittles candies on hand and her children will never want for snacks again. Brings a tear to my eye because it's just so darn inspirational.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ron Paul Girl
I thought he was the Messiah.

That's the problem. A LOT of Obama detractors thought he was the Messiah. We Obama supporters tired to tell you, but you wouldn't listen. You said he was a cult leader, a savior, a prophet... You called us Obamatrons, Obamaniacs, cult followers... We denied it, tried to shake the truth into you... but you just wouldn't listen...

I'm sorry your hopes are dashed. You should have been more realistic. Like us.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This has to do with the coming disaster that is going to hit the US. We are headed for some very bad times. He cannot promise them everything...he realizes what he has done. People are expecting him to change THEIR world. He can't do it. He knows he can't.

Obama's and the Democrats soul purpose in this election...the real issue....is to get the hell out of the middle east. That's it. That's all it is. They can scream about the economy all day long...this is the real issue and threat. We have to get out.

McCain will stay in and the consequences could be dire for the United States. I'm torn between the 2 right now. I don't know what to think anymore. I just know that it doesn't matter who wins....we are in very big trouble. VERY BIG TROUBLE. I can't stress this enough. Look at what is happening in the news...look between the headlines. Look at what Bush is having our military do....look at the ship from iran that taken over by pirates that some got sick on and died *Possible dirty bomb onboard....look at iran and it's pursuit of nuclear weapons and Israel's threat of attack on them.

I don't see any other consequence to what is happening. There are going to be major terror attacks here/elsewhere and war...possibly even nuclear war...will break out in the middle east....

It's here guys. The thing we've always talked about. The thing we always thought would come but hoped that it wouldn't. This could be the beginning of world war 3.

Edit: grammar

[edit on 31-10-2008 by David9176]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So let me see if I understand this correctly.

Obama doesn't have a majic wand to fix the nation, and he knows it and admits it will take time and effort. Hes realistic enough to see that it's a big job because of all the years the republicans have been running things mostly by decree.

So because he cant fix everything the day he hits office, we ought to vote for Mccain, and just keep on down the road we've been on for so long? That's like being in a car going over a cliff and saying why the hell try to open the door and jump, you'll just skin yourself up that way.

An effort to make changes for the benefit of the country is better than saying "in for a penny, in for a pound" and letting the rich have another round of ripping off this country. How many ladies here would tell a rapist, "Well, now that you've had your way, can we get married next Tuesday?"

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFreeBird

So let me see if I understand this correctly. Obama doesn't have a majic wand to fix the nation, and he knows it and admits it will take time and effort. Hes realistic enough to see that it's a big job because of all the years the republicans have been running things mostly by decree.

He realizes that people are getting a false sense of what he's going to do. He's been briefed on what the future of the United States is. He knows that it's going to be dire consequences. He needs to calm peoples expectations because he knows that terrorists are plotting to attack on our soil. McCain knows this too. This is why the election has been so nasty.

The accidental remarks we've seen in the press by Biden and other politicians are not accidents. These are warnings. Warnings to prepare yourselves. They are giving us a bit of a head start as they know that American lives may be lost in great amounts.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I'll agree with that. There are going to be tough times ahead. But there doesn't seem to be any sense in staying with the same people that caused those tough times to hit us, just because they say they understand the problems better. Hell yes they understand them better, they should because they orchestrated them in the first place.

Now maybe Obama will screw up. It's human nature and nobody's perfect. But with limited income, I would rather go to a mechenic who says "I'll try my best to get your car running again' than some jerk who says " there's nothing wrong with your car, if you walk long enough it'll fix itself."

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheFreeBird

Freebird, i'm not trying to sway your decision on whom you want to vote for. Please don't look at it that way. I'm just stating what our future holds. I'm not picking on either candidate. I was for McCain...but i just can't do it now. I will probably not vote. I can't make a vote for 2 people that i'm not sure of...with the lives of so many on the table. I can't in good conscience do it. I truly believe a terrorist attack is coming...possibly a dirty bomb. All of this talk about taxes won't matter when this happens. This is the only point i'm trying to make.

I used to get into the mudslinging...i won't do that anymore either. It's just dividing us. Right now...more than ever...this country needs to unite. It HAS too.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

I'm not fighting about it either. I made my mind up a while back. I've been known to hold an ace and draw four cards. Once your ante is in the pot, you may as well go for a better hand if all your holding now is a 3-2 busted flush.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Thanks for posting that video. I've been searching for it all day.

Many people who are expecting a chicken in every pot are going to be very disappointed!!

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Ron Paul Girl

Yes it does. But maybe you've never been a parent. Maybe you've never felt bad because little tommy can't have his friends over because you're ashamed that you can't sit out a plate of chips and hand out half a dozen cold drinks.

I can see why this might bring a first time tear to your eye. But sad to say, a big part of America doesnt get to live the Barbie Doll home life. they can't go on field trips because parents dont have an extra $20 to shell out. They can't wear nice clothes to school, and we all know how cruel those cool kids with rich parents can be. They cant discuss the newest games with other kids at school because mama's two jobs still wont allow anything higher tech than a set of dominoes.

I'm glad you can see the other side.

Oh, you were being sarcastic? Well Barbie, so was I.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheFreeBird
So let me see if I understand this correctly.

Obama doesn't have a majic wand to fix the nation, and he knows it and admits it will take time and effort. Hes realistic enough to see that it's a big job because of all the years the republicans have been running things mostly by decree.

So because he cant fix everything the day he hits office, we ought to vote for Mccain, and just keep on down the road we've been on for so long? That's like being in a car going over a cliff and saying why the hell try to open the door and jump, you'll just skin yourself up that way.

An effort to make changes for the benefit of the country is better than saying "in for a penny, in for a pound" and letting the rich have another round of ripping off this country. How many ladies here would tell a rapist, "Well, now that you've had your way, can we get married next Tuesday?"

You're not listening at all. There are Obama supporters out there who are voting for him because they think that the day he is innaugurated things are going to magically snap back into place and the U.S. will once again be a land overflowing with wealth and prosperity.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

My God, what was I thinking! That would be almost as stupid as all those people that think being a POWmeans you have all the answers.

Just because he draws some nuts doesn't mean we have to all be squrrils. There are the delusional everywhere, I bet there might even be a very few on this very site.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I think morale will go up no matter who wins. That will change things by itself. People will be breathing a sigh of relief that this administration is over and can do no more damage to the country.

However, no one should expect any president to come in and change things immediately. It's hard enough for to do it in four years, if at all. If the president does not have congressional support, he can't be expected to do much at all.

Without congressional support, there is only one way to really get things done, and we saw this with the Bush administration. Fear. Fear will get people behind you without having your motives questioned.

So, no, I don't expect Obama to do much immediately. I am glad he won't change much immediately. That's what separates him from the current group of flunkies in office.

However, if the democrats can get enough congressional control to block a filibuster... well it's fair game then.

I heard on the radio conservative hosts talking about how dangerous that would be. Maybe... I don't know that I like it when any party has full control, but someone needs to take the helm to fix the current mess we are in. The current groups of elected republicans have already proven they cannot handle that task, so it is time for the US to pass the torch back to the democrats while the republicans regroup and start over.

reply to post by sos37

Yeah, because you know what everyone who's voting is thinking. Yes, there are idiots out there. What's your point? Think I can't find an idiot who's voting McCain?

Pointless rhetoric... that's all I ever hear on this board lately.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Store Here – Times of London

Story Quoted Here

Obama lays plans to deaden expectations of change happening after the election. Obama’s people say that many of Obama’s disciples are unrealistic in their hope for change.

He didn’t mind playing on those expectations, and even working those expectations into a frenzy, in order to get elected.

Isn’t that what this politician is supposed to be about?
Hope, Change, Unity?

And now that he’s going to win - those expectations are flushed.

I’ll take this opportunity to say it … I told you so.

I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my MONEY; you can keep 'THE CHANGE'.

Oh wait - change and hope are no longer being offered.

edited immediately to fix sentence

[edit on 10/31/2008 by FlyersFan]

You gop idiots need to stop

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Many people who are expecting a chicken in every pot are going to be very disappointed!!

So here we are into the fifth month of the Obama administration.
We are far from a 'chicken in every pot', aren't we?
More like - 3 trillion in debt and no chickens to be found.

And yes .. I'm going to say it again - told ya'll so.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join