It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shipments are NOT happening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Shipments are NOT happening

www.forbes.com

The BDI is a good leading indicator for economic growth and production. After all, it doesn't deal with container ships carrying finished goods. It deals with the precursors to production: bulk carriers carrying building materials, cement, grain, coal, and iron. Unlike stock and bond markets, the BDI "is totally devoid of speculative content," says Howard Simons, an economist and columnist at TheStreet.com. People don't book freighters unless they have cargo to move.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.financialpost.com
www.lloydslist.com
www.bloomberg.com
businessmirror.com.ph

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Something MSM will not mention, is the fact that dry bulk shipments are not happening! What does that mean to you? It means that the bulk and raw materials are not getting shipped - then the finished product or food is not getting made. Within a few weeks that will become obvious on the grocery shelves. Be aware - go out and prepare for a few months possibly of no food - except locally grown. This is real and you will never hear the MSM mention it, as it would cause panic. The only way people who are not aware of shipments not happening, is when they walk in the store one day and see empty shelves. I have already been seeing empty shelves in the food area at Walmart. They are trying to cover it up, by placing one brand of something all the way across the shelves, so they don't look empty. Look around you, go to the store. I am including a graph link of the Baltic Dry Index of shipments from May 08 to Oct. 08. I have included links to many articles about the shipping industry - from this month! This is real, so prepare!
go to this graph - no words are necessary with it:

i66.photobucket.com...

www.forbes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

The ignorance and fear mongering on this board is getting worse everyday.

This does NOT mean WalMart will be out of foodstuff.

Please make a bet with me...

I will fall down at your feet and beg forgiveness and leave ATS forvever if I am wrong and you do the same if you are (just leaving is ok with me).. is that OK?

Here's the bet:

1. WalMart will not "run out of food"
By running out I mean they will have very little to nothing on the shelves to sell

2. There will be NO meaningful food shortage in 2008/2009
Meaningful meaning more than a downturn in production but actual food shortages that threatin lives.

OK, is it a deal? Please say yes.

All disagreements aren't going to be solved in the Thunderdome quite yet.

Note: for the record, the two Walmarts in my area (nor the supermarkets) are not in short supply of anything, better get that knee checked it probably hurts.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by gormly]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Baltic Dry Shipping Collapses

globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...

Volvo Truck Orders Decline 99.63 percent; Auto Industry Faces Crash in US

globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It's going to be painful for some but in the long run it should make for a better civilization if we can keep from falling into another war. If you believe in prayer and hope start praying and hoping. Contributing to your community would be a good start for the new society.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Yeah this is a ridiculous jump from the decline in the BDI to total cessation of shipping... no more fear mongering please.

The BDI has dropped in line with the global trade expectations. Also dont forget that the BDI is an index for the COST of shipping. The main cost of shipping (other than ship amortization) is fuel oil. Considering oil fell from 150 to 60 USD over the last quarter, don't you think that the BDI will decline at the same pace??

If anything the decline in BDI is good news. It means commerce will be cheaper now as there will be less cost involved with import-export. It does not mean in any way, shape or form that food is going to disappear from supermarket shelves.

Done and dusted. Any question?

[edit on 31-10-2008 by 44soulslayer]

[edit on 31-10-2008 by 44soulslayer]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
i worked at a grocery store for years..(not walmart) when we ran out of a certain product we would fill the empty holes with what we had to make the aisle look good(usually the product right next the the empty hole) its called facing and every store does it.

it all depends on when you go vs. when the shipment of new stuff comes in. if you head to walmart on a saturday night odds are they are going to be low on alot of stuff until the night crew comes in and refills it.. next time you see empty shelves, come back the next morning and see what it looks like.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think what you will see is less imports comming in,lot of countrys afraid of the dollar ,I'm thinking most transactions will take place within the US,no suprise

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Though I have been accused of being a "doom and gloomer", I think the collapse of the BDI is simply a function of declining oil prices and expectations of a global slowdown. I have followed the shipping companies for a while (EGLE and DSX in particular),and I love the dividend that shippers pay. Anyone who expected the rest of the world to be OK minus the US consumer is going to be rudely surprised.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this. It is and has been one of the behind the scenes things I have been watching along with credit spreads and mining deterioration due to low commodity prices. They are good indicators of what is coming down the pike.

new topics

top topics

join