It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

23% of Texans believe Obama is a Muslim

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

It's not that it's cool to be anti-religious. It's that all the religious folks who decided that their beliefs should be upheld by the law of the land kind of ruined it for them.

Back when religion and politics were things that didn't mix, religion wasn't an issue. If it were not for the fact that W and KR brought religion into the mix of politics, the anti-religious movement wouldn't have any steam.

Now, granted there are many other reasons to be anti-religous today. Specifically the amount of self-hatred that many so called Christians practice today as well as the hatred of others that many so called Muslims practice today.

Personally, I was raised in a Christian church that had an audience of farmers. We were never exhorted to hate ourselves or anyone else, simply to pray for rain and help those in need. That being the case, I don't have an axe to grind with religion in general. However, I do have an axe to grind with any citizen of America who doesn't believe in Freedom.

The thing that gets me is that, at least in Christianity, our avatar asks us to love our neighbors as our self, not turn our neighbors into ourself. The whole point of this axiom was "Learn to love your neighbors despite what you see as their shortcommings, even as you love your ownself despite your shortcomings."

This was a huge point of most avatars during the Axial Age because if a society is to find a social identity in a time when people of different religious backgrounds and creeds live amongst eachother, then you have to learn to get along with them despite your differences. And running around saying God Hates Fags (or whatever else someone wants to throw hate at) is not a method towards getting along.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I think it can be very important to some voters because they know his religious beliefs will likely affect his stance on certain issues. I don't see the need to know as an issue of intolerance so much as an issue of people wanting to feel like they can gauge what he will support if elected president.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Why, isn't it?

The Muslim Call To Prayer isn't Christian and it calls upon a God that isn't Christian (the Trinity God). Therefore, to a Christian, it would be heresy.

Do you like the Russian tune or the words in the tune?
Answer that and you'll answer your own question about being a 'commie'.

Originally posted by seagull
...and if he is Muslim, who flippin' cares?

Those who he lied to should care. If he is a muslim, then just say so to begin with and don't lie. But then again, he's a stink'n politician and they all lie, right?

I stand my my opinion. His religion is 'pander;.
Whatever the crowd wants to hear at the time is his religion.

edited immediately to fix quote

[edit on 10/31/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Uh.... you're going to generalize an entire group of people based on a small number of people who had to do with 9/11? Come on now, that's same sort of bullcrap that creates MORE conflicts. We each have to do our little part to try and shed these generalization otherwise this fear mongering will never improve anything for anyone in this world.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by nj2day
What is sad isn't the fact that in texas that percentage actually believe that...

The saddest part is that it matters to people...

Religion should not affect someone's ability to get elected...

look...the only way anybody will get elected in this country is to believe in the mythical being "god" and it has to be a christian "god". anybody believing in anything else or not believing at all...they won't even win a primary.
this country is run on and controlled by fear, and it will be that way well past my lifetime.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by jimmyx]

[edit on 31-10-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

anybody believing in anything else or not believing at all...they won't even win a primary.

How many nations out there....that have a majority of people believing one religion....have had someone in the religious minority as their President or leader?

Are there any out there? Most countries are based on their religion. I'm not saying it's right...it's just what it seems to be.

There will never be world peace because religion and race will always be a divider...it's sad.

John Lennon's "imagine"...it's a good vision...but unfortunately i don't think it's ever going to happen.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
TOLERANCE IS THE LAST VIRTUE OF A DYING SOCIETY. Aristotle

"I have figured out something that makes all of this election make sense. I was going nuts trying to figure out why people were learning the truth about one candidate’s corrupt history and his evil designs on us, and then that Americans were still going to vote for him. I analyzed it to death . . . then I figured it out. For at least 20 years our schools and society have had just one virtue. It has been taught in every way possible. It has been brainwashed into our culture. That virtue is "tolerance." There is nothing right or wrong absolutely. There is only one thing that is unacceptable . . . that is "intolerance." It is the only real sin.

The intolerant person wants the Ten Commandments posted. He wants human life protected. He insists that the things some do are not acceptable. He must be squashed and silenced by hate speech legislation or whatever it takes. His character must be impugned. He must be rendered impotent. The fellowship of the "tolerant" kicks in. "If you are intolerant of this [this political candidate], then we will be FOR him. He is one of us. You are an evil intolerant person. How dare you mention his lies or problems! YOU must be extinguished and we will support him."

The more evil and deception is exposed, the more the masses love the deception. There seems to be no way to win these "tolerant" people to our side and to truth, as there is no truth in their eyes. They consider themselves virtuous because it is another act of tolerance. "

"… the majority of Americans have settled for this mantle of deception, “tolerance”. It has permeated society through the educational programming of the last forty years, and the lack of parents passing on the torch of Truth to their children with conviction and integrity. We have realized too late that IDEAS DO HAVE CONSEQUENCES, and our assumptions do determine our conclusions! However history is written over these next few days, it is important for those of us who are truly believers to respond in these “gloriously dark times” as is befitting one who follows Jesus Christ. Jesus came to serve and to die and to give His life as a ransom for those who would receive Him (Mark 10:45). We might not be able to “fight the system” but we can live for the glory of God where He has us, making a difference in our areas of influence. There will be a cost, perhaps unpleasant circumstances, but are we willing to get serious and arm ourselves for what might be our “calling” for such a time as this?"

Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labor of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls: Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will joy in the God of my salvation. The Lord God is my strength and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. Habakkuk 3:17-19a

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This shouldn't surprise us. Texans elected George W. Bush governor.

I bet you would find that more than 30% of Texans belive "24" is a reality show and that Ronald Reagan was a great president.

Have you ever been to Midland or Euless or practically anywhere outside of the Austin City Limits? The reason George Bush was elected governor is because he's the smartest guy there!

If you've ever seen the movie "Idiocracy" than you have some idea of what Texas is like. I'm all for Texas seceding from the Union. That one act would raise the average IQ of the US by about 30 points.

It wasn't always so. There was a time when Texans had a similar distribution of intelligence as the rest of the country. Starting about 1970, though, it's been in a steep decline. I'm not kidding. I think there may be lead in the water or something. It's why you see so many illegal immigrants in St Lous or Chicago: They cross the Rio Grande and say to each other, "Let's keep moving North until we find a few smart people.

I say these things with all due respect.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS
So Christianity is antithetical to tolerance?

You want to protect all life unless it's Muslim?
Or you want to protect all life until after it's born?

Thanks for supporting my view that we need people in power who don't subscribe to ancient superstitions.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by vuoto
It wasn't always so. There was a time when Texans had a similar distribution of intelligence as the rest of the country. Starting about 1970, though, it's been in a steep decline.

Maybe it has something to do with all the people from other states and countries that have come here since then.

Don't blame me, I didn't ever vote for Bush.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
550 is probably a fair sample size. In my country there are 60m people, and you need a sample size of 1000 to get a good reading. Texas has about 23m, so 550 seems more than adequate, as long as the sampled people are a good mix.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Maybe the 23% are the smart ones? Maybe they aren't buying it. If something is stressed too much, that makes people wonder what they are hiding. Even on ATS if you suggest that Obama is a Muslim you can get a "Political Trolling Warning". We can't question this guy, look at Joe the Plumber, the TV station in Florida, the Newspapers that did not endorse him. Question or oppose Obama and you will be punished.

[edit on 31-10-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

it's all part of "their" plan... divide and conquer, that's how they get us!

we all need to just realize how much we have in common with each other and stop segregating one another. too many negative vibes in the world right now.

ps--- count me in as one of the many texan ats members....yeeehaaw!1!

[edit on 31/10/08 by CureWish]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Maybe the 23% are the smart ones? Maybe they aren't buying it. If something is stressed too much, that makes people wonder what they are hiding. Even on ATS if you suggest that Obama is a Muslim you can get a "Political Trolling Warning". We can't question this guy, look at Joe the Plumber, the TV station in Florida, the Newspapers that did not endorse him. Question or oppose Obama and you will be punished.

yeah, i've been thinking about that. to be honest, i'm really not sure what to think of this guy. he DOES know islam, that's for sure, but as to whether i honestly believe he's a muslim or not...is a thing that makes me go hmm....
the problem with this is that the majority of 'good american sheeple' equate muslim with terrorist, and that's extremely sad. it's all part of the zionist agenda muslim smear campaign; brainwashing and stereotyping muslims/m.e. as the 'bad guys' is NOT something new...it's just become more prevalent in pop/sheep culture post 9-11...

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
They only got like .2 percent of Texans in that.
I think this document is at least eye opening
smithfiles.com...
He went by Barry Soetoro back when he was an Indonesian citizen (and lied about it to the Supreme Court of Illinois) and it clearly states his religion as 'Islam'.
This should clear some things up for people, haha.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MetatronCubensis

oh SNAP.....!!

thanks for the link

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
40% of democrats think Bush was behind 9/11. Whats your point?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Marcus Calpurnius

I would love to see that statistic sourced.

Also, it isn't just that they are so uneducated that they believe he is a Muslim, but also that they care that he is a Muslim.

There is nothing wrong with being Muslim.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Maybe the 23% are the smart ones? Maybe they aren't buying it. If something is stressed too much, that makes people wonder what they are hiding.
[edit on 31-10-2008 by RRconservative]

Yep, this is exactly why the GOP has been encourgaing this amnbiguity. keep in mind the ones who are stressing it are on the far right.

You did a great job of exposing this as a trick of the GOP.

S+F!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join