It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hindu Religion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses to my thread. I have picked up some very useful insights that I did not have before on the Hindu religion.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Thanks for your post to my thread. It was the most enlightening one on my thread. To be honest, I've been kind of searching for something myself that would allow me to find my individual way to my conception of what God is and what he stands for.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hi

I am not a member of ATS but I just came across this thread after performing random searches in google.

I'm a Hindu so I might be able to tell you a little bit about the religion.
The ancient word for Hinduism is 'Sanatana Dharma' which literally means eternal religion in Sanskrit or as some people like to think 'no religion'.
Hinduism has evolved as a collection of philosophies over thousands of years. It wasn't a religion that was founded by one person. Different people or sages in the past have contributed to the varying philosophies and this is what makes up the 'religion' today. My dad used to say that Hinduism is like a buffet spread, you choose the things that you like and you think sounds right and leave the other parts that don't appeal to you.

There are also many levels in Hinduism. At some levels, those who don't really understand the higher philosophies and esoteric doctrines and are more practical in nature are more comfortable with adhering to rituals and believing in a large number of Gods and Goddesses and that each deity is worshipped for different things.

Others are more philosophically oriented and believe that all these Gods and Goddesses are different forms of essentially one God. This one God has no gender and is called Brahman. Brahman is not even regarded as being in human form. Brahman is regarded as an ocean of consciousness, the Creator of the universe.

For day to day living, people have simplified some of these philosophies and adopted the rituals and practices and in this way Hinduism has been incorporated into the traditions and culture and can be seen more as a way of life.

Anyway, I hope I didn't confuse matters more

I'm in no way an expert in Hinduism but I do have a genuine interest in certain philosophies and maybe a feel for the religion as I was born a Hindu.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

No, you didn't confuse things more. You actually helped clear a couple of things for me. I have a bit better of an understanding of the Hindu Religion now.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
glad to be of assistance Wally, but credit should be given to all participating in this thread thus far. As each person gives you their insight you'll be able to see that while we may all practice very differently, we all hold the basic fundamentals close. Sanatan Dharma as another poster mention the basic fundamental that all Hindus relate to. Learn and Understand the meaning of Sanatan Dharma and you learn all you need to know about Hinduism (imo of course)

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

You are absolutely right. Thanks to everyone else who replied to my origional post in this thread. I have learned much from all!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join