It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large number of children ill at school - what would you do?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
I've heard nothing out of sorts from the school since September, but all of a sudden when I went to pick my kids up today, I noticed all the kids coming out the doors with papers in their hands and looking quite miserable.

The paper was from the principal informing parents that a "large number" of staff and students were ill with the flu and that several upcoming events were being cancelled. Of them, the breakfast club for the next week or so, the kids' halloween parade and school party, and an assembly. Also they urged parents not to send any kind of food to school with their kids on the 31st for Halloween (class parties). Also that if your child displayed flu symptoms they were to be kept home until all symptoms were clear, plus an extra 2 days.

Of course my, and others', kids were devastated that they couldn't wear their costumes to school and I thought a few people being sick didn't warrant cancelling a special day the kids had worked hard and looked forward to for weeks. I pulled aside one of the teachers and asked her what was going on and she informed me that approx 40% of staff and students were out due to flu like symptoms. She said they actually had kids and teachers running down hallways holding in their vomit (sorry to be gross). I didn't get a chance to ask her how long/short of a time period this was during before she got called away.

40% is pretty concerning..but on the other hand, it is the season I guess....and no offense to anyone but we do live in the inner city where it seems hygiene takes a back seat and parents would rather send their vomiting kids to school than have to keep them home for the day.

I'm debating on pulling my kids out for a few days or a week until it clears up, but I'm not sure if I'm over-reacting? So far, knock on wood all three of my kids are perfectly healthy, but the flu comes on quick so who knows what tomorrow holds. What would you do?

Michelle

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
At least they aren't forcing vaccinations.

40% and with such severe symptoms makes me wonder if it isn't perhaps a food-born illness, perhaps from the cafeteria or the water fountains.

There are things you can give your children to help boost their immune symptoms... I've had success with products like Air-Born and Emergen-C.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I have 6 kids, and went about half way through nursing school..............and now, by chance, work in an elementary school.

I think with the nursing school backround, I've become really aware of "germs" and illness, etc. I'm sure I can generalize about some of the things I see at the school I work at.........

many kids come to school dirty, unfortunately. Many kids come to school sick. Some teachers are better than others at CLEANLINESS... around the classroom, as well as having the kids wash their hands, etc.

Each of my kids carries around a small bottle of hand sanitizer. I also agree with immune boosters, have the kids taking multivitamins, esp C. Echinacea is a good immune booster, and always helps me cut my colds, etc down to a day or two, rather than a week! You can buy Echinacea tea at most grocery stores (the pills are rather big, but great for the adults!)

I don't think you're over reacting to keeping them home...especially if everything is being canceled anyhow! I think I'd keep mine home.... do some special Halloween things at home!! See how things are at school Monday or Tuesday...

join