It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama effigy found on U. of Kentucky campus

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

LEXINGTON, Ky. — A life-sized likeness of Barack Obama was found hanging from a tree with a noose around its neck Wednesday at the University of Kentucky, the second time in about a month such an effigy of the Democratic presidential nominee was reported on a college campus.

Go Wildcat's....
lol

In West Hollywood, Calif., authorities on Wednesday were looking into a Halloween display depicting a mannequin of GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin hanging from a noose. The display also displayed her running mate, John McCain, surrounded by fake flames.

big news around here.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Gee, I wonder if they'll laugh that off like they did the one of Sarah Palin? I mean it could just be a halloween decoration, right. It is halloween. Let's just see how worked up the BO supporters get over this.

reply to post by beforetime

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Two men have been arrested in connection with an effigy of Sen. Barack Obama that was hung outside a building at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, police said Thursday.

www.cnn.com...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Secret Service says it has visited a West Hollywood home where a mannequin of GOP vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin hangs from a noose.

Deputy Special Agent in Charge Wayne Williams says so far it seems to be a harmless -- though unusual display.

cbs2.com...

[edit on 31-10-2008 by Doom and Gloom]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
Two men have been arrested ...

So if the idiots out in California didn't get arrested for their hanging palin 'art' .. then why did these idiots get arrested?

What a screwed up country we have sometimes.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Think about it and you tell me. Obamamanics will come out of the wood works defending why they should have been arrested, but claim it was freedom of speech for those that did the Palin effigy.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Because this was "racially" motivated.

They take that much for seriously for some reason. Like threatening hangings of people aren't bad enough alone.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

Because this was "racially" motivated.

They take that much for seriously for some reason. Like threatening hangings of people aren't bad enough alone.

Only racial because he is black, at least that is how it will be spun. Ok to hang white effigy, kill the crackers. They are just expressing anger for something that did not happen to them over 400 years ago. Funny thing is my wife (which happens to be a beautiful African American woman) agrees that they should not have been arrested.

Carry one nothing to see here. Welcome to your next 4 years.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doom and Gloom
Think about it and you tell me.

I already knew the answer when I posted the 'question'.

So - the situation is this -

It's okay to hang Govenor Palin - a white female republican.
It's not okay to hang Sen. Obama - a black male democrat.

One is supposedly art. The other is supposedly a hate crime.

Again - this is SCREWED UP.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm not advocating or supporting the Sarah Palin effigy, but it was at a private home, where the Obama one was on school property. That may be one difference. I don't expect any of you to understand why the Obama effigy may be seen as much more of an assault.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I think people do understand it BH, and that's why they have such a problem with it.

The door never swings both ways for some people.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I know this will immediately piss someone off and most likely get me flamed but...AND I AM NOT SAYING THIS MAKES IT RIGHT...but is it possible the person that took the time to make "window art" also took the time to come up with a cogent argument with which to present any iquisitors and the folks that hung the obama effigy had little more than hateful redneck rants ready when people came asking? I am just saying that given the presentation of each, it seems like the folks in KY thought they could hang it and get away but got caught...in CA it seems they were more than ready for someone to come asking.

I am sure that is not that solution McCain supporters are going to like, but I am not an Obama supporter, just looking at the two very different stories as that, rather different.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm not advocating or supporting the Sarah Palin effigy, but it was at a private home, where the Obama one was on school property. That may be one difference. I don't expect any of you to understand why the Obama effigy may be seen as much more of an assault.

And there is that, doing it at a private home makes it a free speech issue where doing it at an institution makes it grounds for political attack.

Go hang a Palin at a nearby school and see if you get off as easily as the people in CA did.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Actually these guys said it was just a prank, and nothing serious. They also admitted that this was in direct response to the Palin effigy.

Why is it though that since they are from KY we are to expect them to be ignorant racists though?

[edit on 31-10-2008 by nyk537]

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Of course everyone from "the South" are ignorant, inbred. tobacco chewing, racist, neo nazi warmongers. Didn't get the memo?

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Google "Obama Effigy" and see how many DIFFERENT times it has happened. People all over this country are hanging the black man thinking it's funny.

nyk537, until you've been in their shoes, I'm going to hold the opinion that you don't understand. And now, to avoid a race-related argument, I'll bow out.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think all the hangings of the effigies were ignorant political statements and all should be arrested. Yes it's Halloween but hanging a Presidential and Vice Presidential nominee from a noose should not be accepted. Those two at Kentucky could of hung it anywhere but doing it at their University was the wrong decision and the University has a right to do what they think is best for their college and if they get expelled then so be it. Hanging them anywhere is wrong and should not be accepted. Just my 2 cents.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Your absolutely right.

Nobody is trying to defend these two here. It's only fair though that if you are going to punish some of them, you have to punish all of them.

When it comes to hanging effigies of people, race shouldn't matter. If its wrong, it's wrong,end of story.

Sadly that isn't how most people see it.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
This is another blatant case of racism,this is why there is racism today why is ok to hang a white woman in effigy which has been up for weeks,the liberal media thinking it was funny,a similar incident happens with a black man it's out and out racism?this is why I can never understand the liberals,and here I thought the USA was all about equal rights and free speech,the minute it doesn't fit there agenda,the same scenario can do a 360,and for weak excuse"it was done on a school campus"isn't a school part of the public? why racism will never end

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oldtimer2
This is another blatant case of racism,this is why there is racism today why is ok to hang a white woman in effigy which has been up for weeks,the liberal media thinking it was funny,a similar incident happens with a black man it's out and out racism?this is why I can never understand the liberals,and here I thought the USA was all about equal rights and free speech,the minute it doesn't fit there agenda,the same scenario can do a 360,and for weak excuse"it was done on a school campus"isn't a school part of the public? why racism will never end

I pay taxes that support the major colleges in my state, by virtue of that it is public property. Again they will defend these actions. Wait till he is President you will be controlled even more. Welcome the the United Police State of America.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Actually these guys said it was just a prank, and nothing serious. They also admitted that this was in direct response to the Palin effigy.

Why is it though that since they are from KY we are to expect them to be ignorant racists though?

[edit on 31-10-2008 by nyk537]

You pretty much summed it up for me. I never assumed it was because of where they were. Did I say it was because of where they were? Pay attention.

So someone plans a display and an excuse and when the Authorites come, they have both ready.

In response, some boys BREAK THE LAW BY DOING IT AT A SCHOOL WITH LITTLE TO NO FORTHOUGHT and as you said, have no excuse other than, 'it was in response.'

Yeah well, a proper response would have been to hang a black mannequin at their home wouldn't it? But instead, like idiots, they hun a noose on school property.

Sorry but that just spells ignorant redneck to me, rascist or not, it is not an intelligent, well thought out response. Thank you for confirming it for me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join