It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EMP A Kink In Our Armor, The Worst Weapon You Will Ever Survive.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I believe whle we are concentrating a nuclear terrorist attack in the homeland that we are ignoring another threat that could cripple the U.S. and return us to the stone age. The electro-magnetic pulse bomb.
Prepare to be scared.

Unlike nuclear bombs that can destroy a large city like New York or Chicago, an EMP weapon is so powerful that just one -- detonated over the central USA -- could knock out the entire country. That's right -- just one! www.viewzone.com...

I was a ham radio operator. I listened to my short wave radio for hours just about every day. I remember one summer in 1962 when I thought my receiver was broken; I even bought new tubes for it. On every band, on every frequency, there was a loud and annoying hiss that lasted for a couple of days. Communication was impossible.

No one spoke about it on the news, nothing was written -- it was "top secret" at the time -- but I later learned that it was the result of an atmospheric nuclear explosion. The 1.4 megaton detonation, called "Operation Starfish Prime" occurred 250 miles above Johnston Island in the Pacific. Not only did the explosion shut down short wave radio communications in America, but it also overloaded and blew out over 300 streetlights in Oahu, Hawaii -- some 740 miles away! www.viewzone.com...

Sit X

Imagine surviving an EMP only to find you cannot call your family to see if they are safe, cannot get cash from your ATM or bank (since they cannot access your records), cannot buy food at a supermarket (no scanners) or even drive your car (ignition destroyed). Everything relying on modern electrical technology will be useless.

When you finally walk to your home, city water will not be pumped, lights will not come on, sewage treatment will be off-line, heat and air conditioning will be gone and the production, harvesting and transport of food will have come to a grinding halt. What's even worst is that the lack of radio and television news will keep most people from understanding what has happened or how to respond. Confusion and eventually anarchy would reign. This is the reality of an EMP weapon. www.viewzone.com...

Areas of medium yield EMP destruction with a single burst over Kansas
at 100, 300 and 500 km.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
whoa, moved to general conspiracy? it isn't a conspiracy it is a real threat. oh well. whatever.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
You know, I totally agree it would be terrible. But to state that surviving this and being without eletrical devices is worse than, survivng a nuclear blast and being partially melted and dying from radiation poisoning, misses the mark just a tad.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Yeah I kinda thought that too when I read it.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
check out this thread i made awhile back

www.abovetopsecret.com...

it has a video there and lots of other information

the idea of it is extremely scary though

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is one of those things that look great on paper.

It a real threat. Somewhat overblown. There are simple precautions to take and many utilities have already done so by "hardening" their facilities for these type of attacks.

Basic Faraday cage will protect what electronics you want to save.

Some thought given to vehicles turned off will be okay as they are nothing more than a Faraday cage.

This description of event is not a terrorist event. It will be an act of war that can be made by nations having the capability to launch a rocket with a nuclear weapon that can explode over, basically, Kansas City. Not many countries currently have that capability.

A more realistic terrorist weapon would be a battery based EMP with large compacitors that discharge enough energy to effect several city blocks in size. This type of weapon in a decent part of a large city could cause havoc with a banking or stock trading area.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
A more realistic terrorist weapon would be a battery based EMP with large compacitors that discharge enough energy to effect several city blocks in size. This type of weapon in a decent part of a large city could cause havoc with a banking or stock trading area.

they discussed this in the article.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Well, look at the bright side, The Nukes in our hardened silos and subs will still be operational.

So if this happens we will still destroy the whole world even if we don't know who did it...

Oh wait...

That's not very Bright

Anyway, doubt it actually changes very much if one gets knocked off...

Btw, they have known this forever and all it would take is a hardening of the electric grid which would have cost 1/20th the cost of the War in Iraq, for which we achieved nothing in terms of additional security and might now face yet another war...

sad

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Well aren't you full of sunshine

brighten up my day.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Well here is a question for you guys/gals?

Since the human body uses electricity to function (heart, brain, nervous system. muscles, etc.) what would happen to us as human beings if we were included in an EMP attack? Will our hearts stop? Will our brain short-circuit? Will we be more or less nervous after the EMP bomb or gun hits us? Will we be able to shoot out electric bolts from our eyes?

From what I understand and have read elsewhere, EMP is also being administered by police car or helicopter to shut-down a car that is speeding away from cops. The goal is to avoid high-speed chases by blasting the stolen or getaway car with EMP so it turns off. Unfortunately if the cops miss their target, whatever got hit by EMP is electronically destroyed. They are trying to make the EMP field narrower and increase its accuracy so as to minimize collateral damage.

The EMP effects are not reversible as it destroys what ever electronic item was targeted. The damaged items will have to be replaced.

My concern is what happens to the driver of the getaway car? Does he/she survive the EMP? Or are they stunned like the Tazer does to its victims.

I'm curious.

-EyesII

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
It's true, an Electro Magnetic Pulse emission would cause a lot of trouble for everyone, and no car, truck, ATM, or computer in any store would work after that. A real threat indeed, and not to be laughed at.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
An EMP is an electromagnetic pulse weapon, with or without nuclear materials.

It unleashes a broadband, high-intensity, short-duration burst of electromagnetic energy.

The worst of the pulse lasts for only a second, but any unprotected electrical equipment — and anything connected to electrical cables, which act as giant lightning rods or antennas — will be affected by the pulse. Older, vacuum tube (valve) based equipment is much less vulnerable to EMP; Soviet Cold War–era military aircraft often had avionics based on vacuum tubes.(source)

Several movies use EMP's to knockout electricity on targets.

new topics

top topics

join