It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep Paralysis or not? Different definitions have me confused.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I've read plenty of the threads on sleep paralysis and I guess I'm just
trying to find my own answers. I have been experiencing lately what I
would classify as paralysis shortly after falling asleep and then waking suddenly.
My experiences differ slightly from most accounts, however. I never hear the
vibrating sound that most describe. I have yet to encounter or visualize any
type of being/s, not yet at least. This has happened to me before when I was
younger but only for a short period of time as in a couple seconds. Now a days they seem to be happening more frequently couple with night terrors lasting multiple times a night and more of a 10-20 second range. When they happen my eyes are usually still closed, it is right after I have slipped into sleep and I feel as though I immediately wake up. I can think but cannot move nor open my eyes, although rarely my eyes are open. As I've said no encounters or sounds. I am afraid to let myself slip into this state but intrigued. It seems that with great willpower I am able to push myself out of this state. Not by wiggling the toes but just sheer mind power. Is this the same thing as what other people
are experiencing sans beings/demons/ghosts/sounds ?

My body seems to be reacting during my night terrors as well in the sense that something is around me or in my room. I experience strange shivers and vibrations in my body while being in a sleep state, not neccisarily paralysis, however. I just need some advice, obviously no answers. I'll be
seeking help in other ways to try and make sense of this affliction.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PatriotGames2

I just posted this in another thread, but it's just as relevant here:

Originally posted by Teratoma
Sometimes your body's systems shut down (or wake up) in a different sequence than usual, and your consciousness is active enough to experience the breakdown of the mind's filters.

If that sounds mundane, let me add that I believe that 'sleep paralysis' is a real phenomena, but that not everything experienced during it is 'hallucinatory'. It's the above-mentioned breaking down of filters that enables the mind to function in ways that it normally can't. Remote viewing and astral travel can be achieved accidentally this way, I believe.

Along with remote viewing and traveling out-of-body, I believe that the filters that keep us from seeing extradimensonal entities everywhere all the time during our waking state are also part of this process.

All lot of people try to dismiss these experiences as merely dreams. Personally, I believe that it's more likely that we experience a little of both. The pineal gland produces '___', assumedly for the purpose of 'flushing' the subconscious in dreams. It seems to have side effects that are much debated, but I think sleep paralysis, lucid dreaming and out-of-body experiences are all part of the same phenomena. As well as perceiving and possibly interacting with extradimensional entities, on some level. And while this happens, you're also in a dream-like state, so some percentage of what you may experience is "reality", and the other is "hallucinatory".

You mention being hesitant to achieve this state, so I would theorize that even though you're experiencing sleep paralysis, your subconscious is keeping you rooted in the 3rd dimension out of fear.

[edit on 10/30/2008 by Teratoma]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I've always had a fear of alien abduction since I was little (21 now) and although I'm not convinced things of that matter are evil or malicious in intent(they could be however) it does scare me. I dont know how to go forward
with this.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Well, Thanksgiving turkeys probably would think that humans are evil, if they had the mental capacity. Human children might think the same thing about doctors. We think we understand "good" and "evil", but IMHO, painting things in only two colors represents a lack of capacity as well. Even if the 'aliens' want our planet for themselves, and want to eat us, I have a hard time believing they consider themselves "evil".

Not to wander off-topic. What do you mean by "move forward"? My suggestion to you is that you try to remove all fear from the equation. I realize I'm talking to someone who suffers from night terrors, but if you can convince yourself that no harm will come to you (which might take reminding yourself that during some weirdness) then you'll be off to a better start.

Another couple of things that have helped me:

1. Going to bed after hard work, exercize - a long walk, bike ride or even just stretching.

2. Try to work on or complete something before bed... Any kind of project, artwork, or even a productive exchange on your favorite conspiracy-themed message board. Something about a sense of accomplishment makes me sleep better and have pleasant dreams.

...I'm also trying to learn how to meditate. My interest in this has to do with lucid dreaming. I've had a modicum of success. Keyword: modicum. I have a hard time concentrating. There is a feeling of 'letting go' of all of the chatter in my head that is hard to accomplish, but that is my goal.

Hope this is helpful!

new topics

top topics

join