It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Games firms pursuing innocent file sharers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Games firms pursuing innocent file sharers

www.which.co.uk

Innocent people are being accused of illegal file-sharing, which carries the penalty of high fines and court action, according to a Which? Computing investigation.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
government.zdnet.com
arstechnica.com
www.gamepolitics.com
www.techcrunch.com

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It looks like Davenport Lyons is at the top of the news again. This time, they are sending their threats to innocent bystanders on behalf of Atari.

A quote I find as hilarious as I do disgusting is

Atari’s lawyers argued that it’s a consumer's legal duty to secure their network

The quote goes on to confirm this is not true, but these money grabbing, scumbag lawyers would put that out there in order to scare those ignorant of technology and law into paying the fines, currently set at

£500 compensation and £25 costs

Disgusting practice and further cements my drive to boycott all things Atari.

The story continues to unfold, as there are nearly a dozen creditable only news sources all gathering a variety of information (and spin) on this situation.

www.which.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
There is alot of reports of this going on lately.
Many government agencies have requested to report this to them.
As it is considered fraud.
Many of the lawyers and people involved have gotten into serious trouble all over the world.
People should either not pay any attention to it or report it to the authorities.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
how are they going to deal with people thats unprotected wireless network is being used by neighbours, well thats going to be my excuse

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by satanUK
how are they going to deal with people thats unprotected wireless network is being used by neighbours, well thats going to be my excuse

Check the contract you have with your provider. Often there is a clause stating any illegal use of your wifi is your fault. That means if there's some pedo across the street in a van using your wifi to collect pedo trash it's your fault.

Use that MAC filter and lock your network down.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
mine is protected ok
, i often get paranoid when the speed is slow though

new topics

top topics

join