It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who has lost their job here on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I thought it would be interesting to ask the members here on ATS how many have lost their jobs recently due to our ailing economy. Also, who they will vote for next week and how it relates to them.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I know you're probably looking for doom and gloom here, but I don't have it.

My jobs fine, in fact I just got a raise last week.

I'll be voting for McCain on Tuesday because I believe he is the best choice. I disagree with Obama on virtually every issue and think his economic plan would be disastrous for this country.

And no, I'm not rich.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Not yet - but once Obama gets in and cuts all that defense and future combat systems spending ... we will definately be out of work.

Obama's words - www.youtube.com...

Then again - we may not even have a country left when he gets done disarming us. So being jobless may be the least of our problems.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

NO not looking for gloom and doom! My job is also fine. Just thought it would be a good topic. You know, in the wake of things going on in the country.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Problem is, how many people will lose their jobs and CLAIM it was the economic situation that was responsible; when in reality it was a corporate board decision to protect profit growth via 'downsizing' or maybe they were just incompetent or something?

We are in a country which just passed a law to give tax breaks to companies that move their jobs to India. What more do you need to see to prove to yourself that it's not about US, it's about THEM!

They feel entitled to riches, and unquestioning freedom to conduct their businesses as they want to; with no obligation to anyone other than those legally bound to profit from the enterprise.

I live in an 'at will employment' state; that means they can simply 'decide' they no longer need my services. In what way would the economy translate into a 'necessary' excuse.... it will be the red herring that thousands of people will face when told they are fired. In the end, the business stays afloat, the employees become a burden on society, and the 'profit' is saved so they can 'trickle' it down to the poor folks!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I lost my job a few years back with the greed, unethical behavior and shake up of the energy sector. 200 of us lost out in order to save 5 years of paying workers money used to pay off and buy out the contract of the top two men in the company.

Job outsourced, now there is an idea that has really saved money. It just helps the top guys pocket more.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Not yet - but once Obama gets in and cuts all that defense and future combat systems spending ... we will definately be out of work.

Then again - we may not even have a country left when he gets done disarming us. So being jobless may be the least of our problems.

I agree completely. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Star for you~

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The company my wife works at just lost 250 employees at her building alone, they cut the entire branch in Twin City. I am not sure what this is about especially since they just bought another company.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
PammyK,

Look above me. I told you that you were waiting on Doom and Gloom!

Couldn't resist, I'll get back on topic now.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
My company just announced a massive cut.
We don't know who yet. This is to be determined over the next week or two.
So ask me again, in the next 7 to 14 days.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I'm in Alberta Canada in the middle of Oil Country and if anything things are picking up and booming here. I'm in the city of Grande Prairie where they are in the processing of building a new commerical/industrial area near our airport that they figure will bring 3000 jobs to our city. Good times in Alberta!! Where there is oil there is money!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

My company did too, and I am still without contract.

but I worked my way to a better position so I will survive.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
My husband's hours have been cut back (last week) and there have been many layoffs at his company. It was definitely due to the economy - they said so.

We voted for Obama. I'm not sure what you mean by how it relates to us. We're fine. But I know there are a lot of people who are not.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I haven't lost my job yet, but to be honest everyday when I walk up to the door I say a silent prayer that when I swipe my card the door will actually open. I always sigh with relief when it does.

I work at a bank in the Credit Card dept. and I know it is coming, it's not if but when.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
As I mentioned in another thread about Iceland, my father in law has, who is one of many workers from poland that had to return home into unemployment. But he stayed and is still looking and has a chance for a similar job for half the wage. Better than unemployment.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel
I lost my job a few years back with the greed, unethical behavior and shake up of the energy sector. 200 of us lost out in order to save 5 years of paying workers money used to pay off and buy out the contract of the top two men in the company.

Job outsourced, now there is an idea that has really saved money. It just helps the top guys pocket more.

Not trying to get this thread off topic, but you're talking to the master of anger over outsourcing. I found ever reason and then some to rally against it. But it took me four years to learn that it's not only the fault of CEOs looking to enlarge their profit margin, American consumers are just as much to blame because they didn't and still don't care to stick to the "Made in the USA" brand loyalty. Corporations like Wal-Mart thrive because people will always buy what is cheapest.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
My job has not been lost yet. I am an independant contractor that gets paid in pounds... As the dollar magically inflates, and the pound drops, my paychecks get smaller by the week, and expenses go up.

Not doom and gloom, but making it difficult.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by PammyK

This thread is confusing. At first I thought you were asking how many ATS employees have been lost their jobs.

How many perchance?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Our company cut 5000 this week but I'm still working. It was mostly the people that no one will miss the low performers the constantly sick and the people only working for .50$ an hour after SS anyway. So now I've been cleared for 60 hrs a week that should be about 2k bring home happy holidays for the next few weeks anyway.

mikell

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Sadly im in negative equity by about £20k with my mortgage....if i was to lose my job it would be the biggest disaster so far in my life. For others that work in 'sales' just keep your head down and work harder.....the ones that dont sell will be the first on the chopping block.

I pay 40% tax to the government.

I pay silly interest charges on my loans and mortgage to the banks.

They lose their money and the government uses my tax money to bail the banks out.

It just a big big joke. The rich get richer and the rest of us suffer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join