It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationist Conspiracy: Are Creationists trying to turn the U.S. into a Christian Theocracy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Is the United States on it's way to becoming a Christian Theocracy? Or have we already 'jumped the shark'?

44% of Americans believe that God created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years or so according to a Gallup Poll done in May of 2008. Source.

78.5% of Americans claim to be Christian. Source.

It can be seen in the fact that abortion rights are still a political hot topic over 30 years after Roe v. Wade.

It can be seen in the flurry of anti-gay marriage initiatives on state ballots.

It can be seen with the 'abstinence only' push concerning sex education.

It can be seen in the push for the inclusion of the creation myth in science classes in our public school system, despite the seperation of church and state.

It can be seen in our selection of candidates for office. Candidate's faith played a major role in the Presidential primaries just this year.

It can be seen in our elected public officials themselves. State Rep. Sally Kern was quoted as saying, "I honestly think it's (homosexuality) the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam". Rep. Kern's husband is a Baptist Minister. Former President George H. W. Bush was quoted as saying, "I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God".

This was a nation founded on secular principles and freedom of choice, but those principles and choices are being taken back at a record pace in my opinion. So is there a conspiracy to replace these secular principles and ethics with christian principles and morality, and is it already too late? Has America already 'jumped the shark'?

*For those not familiar with the term 'jumped the shark', please review this.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Progress is secular! Simple really.

I think there is something behind this, for a president to make that atheist claim. That was GB Senior wasn't it.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Yes it was. He said it during the 1988 campaign. I'm really kind of surprised no one else has posted on this. I guess there are more sheep than I thought!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

Going off the information you have listed i would say,maybe.

I think there are 2 possible outcomes to the recent events in the US.The state you have described or a total fascist state.

Neither are appealing.

If it was to become a Christian Theocracy,who would be in charge and which Christian religion would be the state religion??

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
The USA jumped the shark a long, long time ago.

It strikes me as ironic that the only people who don't know that the USA is a theocracy are the Christians themselves.

the pro-Christian rhetoric coming out of our politicians is astounding. They seem to have lost their common sense and can't separate our religion and morality.

But to be fair to that 78%, claiming to be Christian does not necesarily mean they are Bible-thumpers at all.

I've met plenty of "Christians" who are sensible enough to support birth control, oppose the war-for-oil, and would certainly consider athiests to be citizens.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I would absolutely agree that not all Christians are trying to convert the secular system of government to something else, but with 44% of the nation being creationists, it's still a scary possibility!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Looks like you don't live here... I would estimate maybe 33-45% are the "Bible Bashing" type... which is still a huge chunk!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Oh, I live here! Luckily, I live in an urban area, so it isn't as prevelant here, but I come from a small town and have seen it first hand. In the town I come from there were signs on the roads that lead into it saying "If you are colored or Jewish, don't bother to stop here!" up until the late 1960's. It's now a little more diverse, but the 'locals' hate it. My daughter lives there, so I get regular updates on the local happenings and it's not pretty at all! I'm so glad I got the hell out of that one horse town!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Sorry, I had a brain fart and confused you with someone else, and was thinking you were in the UK.

And personally I don't think that there is any reason why evolution and creationism couldn't coexist. That is also a view I hear a few Christians express, so the 44% may be a little bit lower.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Check the link I provided with that statistic. The question was exactly as I posted, and 44% responded as Young Earth Creationists! 36% responded in the ID camp, and 14% in the 'God had no part' camp.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ah, well that truly is sad then.

I remember during the time that I was a Christian, the only way they had to "Debunk" all the evidence showing that the earth was much older than 6000 years old was that carbon dating could sometimes malfunction. That was supposed to prove that mountains of scientific and archaological data was false.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

The really interesting thing is that it also seems to be linked with the education level of the believer. Those with a high school diploma or less are far more likely to believe the creation myth than those with a college education.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
JR:

That makes sense, Creationsim is unlikely to be presented in college at all, unless it is a private religious school.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I like the avatar lol.

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
Is the United States on it's way to becoming a Christian Theocracy?

78.5% of Americans claim to be Christian.

Actually, we're moving closer to atheism/agnosticism.
A few years ago, 90% of Americans claimed to be Christians.
What I'm noticing is the youth (which includes me
) are becoming more and more atheist/agnostic while the baby boomers remain die-hard Christians.
So what's going to happen is the baby boomer fad is going out of style and the percentage of Christians will dramatically decrease over the next 10 - 20 years.
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that by the year 2025, that 78.5% will drop to somewhere in the lower 60's - maybe even lower.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I think for some on some level it oscillates. I think amounts of people who are religious varies. The new generation who are becoming more atheist/agnostic have been exposed to religion and have made their mind up in that context, but when religion is low, people seem more susceptible to conversion.

I believe this exposure + generation-gap is the same principle behind why societies rise and fall. There is a saying "Man learns from history that man does not learn from history."

...Come to think of it, I'm gonna add that to my signature.

I think if a society was to be resistant to collapse, part of it's very essence would be about learning history, that learning history would be part of life. This would be like a vaccination in a baby to protect him from making foolish choices that contributes to the collapse.

Just a thought.

[edit on 11/1/2008 by Good Wolf]

top topics

join