It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a place for Abductees moderated by Abductees

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Observer_X

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

No the skeptics don't need to "growup" as you so eloquently put it...there's room enough and to spare on ATS for all opinions, so long as they are phrased politely, and conduct themselves within the T and C's. It's really very simple, politeness and a willingness to listen to alternative viewpoints.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Why dont we make a place on ATs to force ...i mean "educate" skeptics (yeah they need to grow up, they're all rednecks after all ) ?

Or why not banning the non believers, after all they need to be educated no ?

or wait, better idea, lets make a REEDUCATION thread on ATS for every posters who dont understand abductees !

aaah good old time of the reeducation camps in mother russia, i think we need more dictatorship on that thread, no ?

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I understand both sides of this issue. For those who experience the trauma of abduction (regardless of the underlying reasons), the last thing they want is to have to defend themselves against people who, from their perspective, are just out to hurt them and make them feel small. Many seem like they are searching for something akin to a support group-- something that typically isn't available in most areas.

At the same time, ATS seems to want to promote the type of environment which fosters the exchange of ideas; no matter how diverse responses may be to a given topic. Those who are deeply passionate about their own viewpoints are most likely to create problems for those holding the opposing view. Without meaning to, those who are skeptical can cause serious psychological damage to someone in a vulnerable state.

I came to this thread out of curiosity. I realize that what I know about this topic is far outweighed by unanswered questions and loose ends. I do not know whether or not my own experiences are normal, explainable, or the result of perfectly natural phenomena. Yet, I also recognize that I cannot reasonably expect the security of a support group setting in a forum that fosters rigorous debate. More often than not, I read without writing. I already know my own mind; I came here to try and get to know all of yours. I believe that all of you-- from both sides-- have valuable contributions to make to this subject and that I will benefit from your words, so long as you write with respect, a logical treatment of the facts before us, and maintain a measure of empathy and understanding for the opposing side.

I hope that whatever the outcome, whatever your views, we can find a way to approach these discussions in a manner that is tolerable to everyone. Everyone has unmet needs here. Some of us pay more dearly for our losses than others. I look forward to learning from abductees and skeptics alike.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

It is this kind of reaction no thread here needs. Not a one.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

A willingness to listen to other viewpoints is where the sticking point is on abductee threads. Thats my point. For lifetime abductees we have no wish to listen to someone tell us aliens aren't real or that we are psycho or sctizo. The alternative viewpoint is that we are all wrong and have no proof. That is why an abductee thread does not need opposing viewpoints. That is what I have been trying to get across. Why does no-one understand the guts it takes to post an abductee experience???? Why does no one understand that we have no interest in proving anything to anyone??? Why does no-one understand we have no need to hear someone tell us that aliens don't exist when we have been through such trauma at their hands?? Why is this all so hard for non abductees to understand????

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spacecowgirl

But is it really too much to ask you if you've considered another possibility, gently and with respect?

I don't mean is it okay to say you're crazy, but remember that many of us who have not been abductees read and participate in abduction threads to learn. If I ask someone "have you heard of sleep paralysis and do you think that could account for your experience?" I really mean just that. If you say "yes, I've heard that theory and considered it, and no that's not what happened to me," then the question has been asked and answered, and I'm a little bit closer to understanding.

If you are not here to learn and to teach, but for personal support, I would suggest privately corresponding with people who have been on the boards for a long time and have had similar experiences. But these are public boards for the dissemination of alternative knowledge, not support groups.

[edit on 11/3/08 by americandingbat]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Perhaps a note at the top of the A & U forum directing all experiencers/contactees/abductees to the Grey Area is needed. And perhaps any skeptic that repeats the same argument more than once should be considered a troll. I mean, come on, I've seen one troll in the Grey Area that says the same thing with a couple of words changed post on almost every page of a thread. One post made their point, why the repeats? We can read, ya know. No more skeptical trolls imo. Polite skeptics are fine if they actually discuss the topic. Just my 2 cents

STM

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacecowgirl
NO..we dont!

Skeptics and rednecks should not have free reign to destroy threads. It is not their God given right to kick a thread untill it's not breathing. There is far too much of this here and it needs to be stopped.

Ever heard of the IGNORE feature.
You do not have to reply every post or to all posters.
Not all posts will accept or agree with you, your beliefs, or your experiences. Get over it. Move On. You can Ignore these posts, accept them and agree or argue them. You cannot make them dissapear. That is what I have experienced anyway.
There is also an ALERT feature, if posters go of topic or are rude etc.

Keep your chin up. Don't feed the trolls.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I think that abductees come to ATS, on the whole, to talk to other abductees. Nothing wrong with that. Yes, there should be a facility on ATS for abductee / experiencer / contactee only threads along with an open Forum. Then an abductee can decide whether he / she is ready to brave the onslaught of the skeptics. I'm no wall-flower myself but as a grown man, black-belt martial artist and Driving Instructor, I found talking about my abduction experiences daunting, to say the least. How would a young lady, who has recently gone through the trauma of an ET induced abortion, feel with being regarded as mentally ill? I dread to think. Skeptics, you must take responsibility for you cruel and demeaning comments!! You are hurting real people out there with your lack of compassion.

As I said originally, there needs to be open and closed threads available on ATS to sort this problem out. Then the majority will be satisfied and the damage kept to a minimum.

And just as a footnote - I think there is real value to a skeptical approach provided it remains respectful, supportive and humane. Think about it and I'm sure any reasonable person would agree.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Good idea! Maybe all experiencers/contactees/abductees should be given a rats membership to share their experiences, then after awhile bring some of the experiences to the Grey Area. Hmmmm.......

[edit on 11/3/2008 by seentoomuch]

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I just read this post and wanted to answer it from an alternative viewpoints.

reply to post by seagull

A willingness to listen to other viewpoints is where the sticking point is on abductee threads.
Yes it is. It is one that sticks both ways as many people i have encountered here on ATS who claim these experiences are not interested in the many other explanations for Alien Abduction Experiences. It is quite obvious from your post that you are uninterested in any other viewpoint. I wonder why you are on a PUBLIC forum then. As ATS is not an Abductees only forum. I for one have no desire to see it become one, in any form. I am generally interested in this topic and like discussing this with others.

Thats my point. For lifetime abductees we have no wish to listen to someone tell us aliens aren't real or that we are psycho or sctizo.
I agree whole heartedly with you here. No one wants to be labled mentally ill because of a belief inspired by a profound personal experiences.

The alternative viewpoint is that we are all wrong and have no proof.
From my interest in this phenomena, there is very little but personal testimony when it comes to Alien Abduction Experiences. If you yourself have any other evidence to offer on threads, I am sure the skeptics would dissappear very quickly, and you would have no need for an Abductees only forum.

That is why an abductee thread does not need opposing viewpoints. That is what I have been trying to get across.
I disagree. I believe that many, many people come to ATS in search of explanations for experiences that they cannot explain. The opportunity to read and see many different opinions, experiences, and beliefs in relation to these unexplained experiences, that some people attribute to ET's, should not be denied or censored.

Why does no-one understand the guts it takes to post an abductee experience??
You are annonymous to people here. There are no medal ceremonies here. People here have seen many, many, many, many, many posts, threads, claims before.
I personally applaud your choice to share you experiences, but others will not. If you are here to post for congratulations, validation, reward or confirmation then you will be sorely dissapointed. And it is obvious you are. ATS is not a mutual admiration society. That is what i have experienced. You just have to accept that. You believe what you believe. You cannot force others to conform to you beliefs by asking for a special forum.

Why does no one understand that we have no interest in proving anything to anyone???
From my experience, many people do want to prove their story. Many want to prove their experinces was real. Many also believe that they have recieved something important to share which requires them to discuss and convince others that what they experienced was real. I think your generalisationof all abductees is massive and maybe a result of your own personal feelings.

Why does no-one understand we have no need to hear someone tell us that aliens don't exist when we have been through such trauma at their hands??
Why is this all so hard for non abductees to understand????
I have no doubt that you and others have had an experience. You attribute ET's as the cause of this exprience.
I have never been abducted.
I have never seen an alien.
I have never been abord a UFO, controlled by aliens.
Obviously there is no overwhelming proof of ET existence, it is not generally accept that ET's exist, although many believe it is possible, or otherwise we would not be discussing your thread topic..
Abductees do not have any other evidence other than their personal testimony.
Only the word of an abductee.
Research into the phenomena is mainly done by amatuers whose methods are questionable. Many studies are flawed, with the numbers of possible abductees being greatly exaggerated.
There are many other explanations. That are often ignored or dismissed as not being possible by those who claim to have these experiences.
This is why some people do not understand.
This is why some people do not believe you.
This is why, sadly, some will attack you.
This is why you need to get over it.
This is why ATS does not need pleading for special forums.

Keep your chin up.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I agree with the original topic poster. There should be a specially designated forum for the discussion of the phenomenon of alien abduction. It would be there that true skepticism could be applied, as opposed to the unwarranted flaming that is currently exhibited in any attempt at a thread to supply this information. It should have its own rule set, determining how posters can reply. I too am getting tired of this crusade against "ignorance", which is now too liberally being used as a term to invalidate anything anyone posts that is not entirely subject to empirical analysis. This is a conspiracy theory forum after all.

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Just an observation. This seems like it would generate a clique within a clique and marginalize people who's abduction scenarios don't agree with others.. That could just be the cynicism in me, but seems to be the natural inclination for people-to pack together and attack whats not 'us'.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by lordtyp0

Quite the opposite happens on abduction forums. We all understand where each other is coming from even if we have had different experiences. We try to be supportive of each other.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

Abduction threads are NOT FOR PEOPLE who don't believe in aliens. It would be like a cooking class for people who don't believe in ovens.
Or woodworking class for people who don't believe in trees. Waste of time...stay away!

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:31 AM
link   

reply to post by atlasastro

Abduction threads are NOT FOR PEOPLE who don't believe in aliens.

Anyone with a valid opinion on the topic subject of the thread that is within the T&C's is eligible to post on ATS.

There are no "exclusive" or closed threads.

If you don't like what someone says, present well mannered evidence and opinion to counter their views, simple as that.

If they still don't agree with you then either agree to disagree, choose to ignore or actually use the ignore function for that poster.

Being abusive and confrontational will only get you one thing, and thats a one way ticket out of the door.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
There was absolutely no need to remove my post. This is the trouble. Noone is dealing with the foul abusers who come to denigrate and abuse abductees testimony and hide their cowardly taunts under a flimsy skeptic umbrella of which i have comeplained 3 times and have a thread about and have sent complaints to mods about...but here...here I find MY POST is removed???????????? Yeah...way to go mod. Since you have spare time could you answer all my complaints and my thread in the complaints section and the valid points i have raised here?

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   
And if you had read all my threads and post you would find EVERY abductees believes in the points I have raised.

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Skeptics are like a broken record demanding evidence. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE! None whatsoever for alien abdcutees. And even though we say this over and over, skeptics still say...where is the evidence. That is why they are not welcome when an abductee is sharing traumatic abduction stories. It is irrelevant to an abductee whetheer there is evidence or not. But Skeptics never get it, That is why they are not welcomed. They refuse to understand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join