It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hackers, spammers targeting IM users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I'm not sure this belongs here, so mods please move if you need to!
I am leery of using IM services, because I had always heard it is not a very secure thing. I tlooks like someone is taking advantage of that to spread a virus-like download:

"Posted on Mon, Mar. 29, 2004

Hackers, spammers targeting IM users

By Sandeep Junnarkar

New York Times

Nick Groleau, a 40-year-old technical manager from Mountain View, received a message last month from a friend on his AOL Instant Messenger buddy list alerting him that Osama bin Laden had been captured. When he clicked on a link ostensibly directing him to a news article, it took him instead to a site offering a game to download.

Although Groleau declined to download the game, his friend admitted that she had done so. She was among the many IM users who unwittingly triggered a virus-like effect.

Clicking on the link not only installed a game, Osama Found, but also added a slick trick to propagate itself across the AOL Instant Messenger network, known as AIM. When gamers accepted the terms and conditions for installing the application, they inadvertently let the program send the same invitation to contacts on their buddy list.

Downloading the game also installed adware -- software that runs undetected, tracking users' Web habits and interests, presenting pop-up advertisements and resetting the home page."

www.kansas.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Only dumbasses get this.

And a hacker did not make this. I could make something like this fairly easy.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Just because it's easy to do doesn't mean it's not a hack.

There's lots of definitions af hacking or a hacker, but none of them say the hacker is smart or gifted. Hacking is usually gaining unauthorized access to systems. So the term "Hacker" does not mean anything other then they hack.

An internet search will quickly tell you what sites, to go to to get tools & scripts. What newsgroups to read etc. In a short time anyone over 10 can learn how to hack. Even the so called gifted hackers are just people who learn enough about the systems to understand the vunerabilities and exploit them. Using a built in macro or creating a simple script to do damage doesn't take much research or talent.

While there are definately some smart hackers (PGM) most of the smart & gifted folks create systems & software tha

t not only does what you want, but is less susceptible to hackers and they make a decent living doing it.

I think the reason for this myth that hackers are smart is when computers were a new thing hacking took quite a bit of knowledge and most were self taught without the help of books, websites & ready made hacking tools. Then there's the unrealistic Hollywood movies where hackers take over the world with a 2400 baud modem.

Proving that it takes one match to burn an entire forest, by becoming an arsonist does not make one a genious.

While you might call a burgler who uses a lock pick smarter than one who breaks a window they're both burglers & they both can do the same damage.

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by outsider]

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
IM has multiple holes in multiple different brands.

Clicking on a similar link in a message from someone you do not know,.. then your cookies can also be extracted from your machine and used for illicit purposes..

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider

Just because it's easy to do doesn't mean it's not a hack.

There's lots of definitions af hacking or a hacker, but none of them say the hacker is smart or gifted. Hacking is usually gaining unauthorized access to systems. So the term "Hacker" does not mean anything other then they hack.

[Edited on 30-3-2004 by outsider]

There are specialties within computer hacking. An algorithm hacker knows all about the best algorithm for any problem. A system hacker knows about designing and maintaining operating systems. And a ``password hacker'' knows how to find out someone else's password. That's what Newsweek should be calling them.

Someone who sets out to crack the security of a system for financial gain is not a hacker at all. It's not that a hacker can't be a thief, but a hacker can't be a professional thief. A hacker must be fundamentally an amateur, even though hackers can get paid for their expertise. A password hacker whose primary interest is in learning how the system works doesn't therefore necessarily refrain from stealing information or services, but someone whose primary interest is in stealing isn't a hacker. It's a matter of emphasis.

Just thought i'd reiterate.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Recently, I had a TON of emails from email names Ive never seen before, and my software couldnt clean the virus off, but let me see what they said. They all had wierd creepy messages. Dont know what that was about...

new topics

top topics

join