It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conspiracy Theory Rock (SNL Skit aired only once, then cut from all future reruns)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+34 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Has anyone ever seen this video? Apparently, it was only aired once sometime in 1998 and was a skit on Saturday Night Live, but NBC cut it out of all the future broadcasts, the reasoning was, "it wasn't funny" but that seems odd to me. I see a lot of stuff on SNL that isn't funny, but they don't cut it out of future broadcasts. More or less, I'm assuming the government stepped in, and didn't want the "word" getting out of how the media and tv networks are actually run.

Google Video Link

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
that is AWESOME. Not funny? Even if it wasn't true, which it invariably is, then it would still be slightly funny.(the please stand by part especially) The fact is that that was probably the truest thing ever put on television. I guarantee whoever wrote that was probably black bagged and shot, and then dumped somewhere. Either that or they were reprimanded and then brainwashed. I'm not surprised at all that they refuse to ever play that on television again. That right there could teach more to kids than all of high school and probably middle school combined. Hell, it would probably teach most adults here in the U.S. things they never knew too.

By far, that is the greatest skit ever shown on television in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing that. I've never seen it before (probably too young at the time.) It certainly had a somber tone to it, but one thing I've noticed is that anytime it's brought up that big brother and big corporations are screwing the little guy; audiences eat it up. Look at Bill Hicks and George Carlin. Certainly here too, people got a good laugh over it as well. With the whole "please stand by" thing. I mean people laugh when networks try to cover things up that way. They know there's corruption.

What I want to know is are they laughing because they see right through stunts like that and that the corporations actually think it works, or is it more of a nervous laugh to help shrug off the fact that we are being controlled and manipulated?
Maybe most people aren't as stupid as it would seem?

P.S. I hope that all makes sense. Sometimes I think to much and begin to ramble. Plus it's right before bedtime.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Wow, I can't believe they actually allowed it to run the first time.

I agree it wasn't really very funny. In fact, it was quite scary to see how all of the major defense contractors and energy companies control the MSM. I am sure there is some agreement by each of them that they will not air each others dirty laundry. I bet each one has an entire vault of scandals they keep hidden away to ensure none of them steps out of line.

I am also sure that as I type this, they are all scrambling to figure out a way for each of them to control a slice of the internet. I can only hope that the greatest information tool ever devised by man can wake up enough people before they shut it down.

Please keep in mind the next time you hear someone talking about the "evils" in the internet, that they, either wittingly or unwittingly, directly or indirectly, are the true perpetrators of evil.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I am not hearing ANY sound.....and my speakers are on and up....is this just me or does this link not include sound?

AWESOME even in silence BTW..........

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
not sure why the sound isn't working for you, but here's a youtube link if the google video link isn't working correctly for some.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Funny or not it does cause you to sit up straight and pay a bit of attention. At least it had that effect on me. LOL

I enjoyed this and think it a great find!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Ok, this is quite strange. After reading your post, I had to research whether or not this truly only played once and then was cut. Turns out you're right...at least every link I followed stated the same thing. The weird thing is that I hardly EVER watch SNL...maybe 6 times in my entire life and only when there was nothing else on....and I SAW THIS!! LOL Since it must've and could only have been back in '98...it was way before I ever thought about any kind of conspiracies and I thought it was quite stupid to be honest....as I think the majority of SNL is (why I don't watch it). It now holds an entirely different meaning for me though.

Michelle

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
For our younger members, this skit was based on the style and themes of "Schoolhouse Rock" which was a PBS production back in the 70's or so, aimed at educating children about everything from simple math to Governmental processes.
Excellent (albeit scary) skit, and an even better children's educational series...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

how come the words "scary" and "terrifying" and "afraid" appear so much on this site. damn, bunch o fraidy cats. ohhh, ahhhh i'm so afraid of ____________. insert unalienable right in blank. Protect me. someone. just not someone honest who carries a weapon, and stands up for themselves. liberty is scary. they shouldn't have that....blah blah blah......
just an observation.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
I am not hearing ANY sound.....and my speakers are on and up....is this just me or does this link not include sound?

Hey I have not read anymore of the thread yet, AS I AM EXPERIENCING THE SAME THING -- MY VOLUME ICON HAS DISAPPEARED AND BEEN DISABLED FROM MY TOOL BAR.

I'm not kidding.... I will go read the rest of the thread to see if this is happening to anyone else. If so, the vid may be carrying a virus that destroys some file thingy ... I have some links that explain what the cause might be if anyone needs it.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I didn't think it was all that funny. They could have done a much better job just doing a real skit as opposed to the school house rock style.

In fact they should do one today, them or mad tv, and do real skits starting with um I don't know blossom FC or whatever her name is lol....

There is a lot of room in consp. theory skits to really get wacky with them and I think it would be one of the better skits if done right.

But who knows it's just one mans opinion.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Hilarious! Well we know at least one out of work comedy writer cares about the people. I say we find him and get him to write some stuff for ATS.

What do you all say? Let's get him to write a weekly funny conspiracy skit and promote it on digg etc.

Anyone know how to find the writer? And it would be interesting to see what has happened to them since writing that.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
sounds like typical liberal anti-corporation jibberish.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Great find.

I guess everyone knows this, especially after watching this video, but just for completeness:

GE, General Electric, which is lambasted in this video, owns RCA, which NBC is a part of, acquired in 1986.

So it seems pretty strange that this satire would run only once, and then never be heard again. Maybe someone at the top, perhaps Jack Welsh (president of GE at the time) didn't want NBC criticizing its mother company. Which is especially ironic, given that is precisely what the video is about.

I thought it was very funny.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by TH3ON3
Hilarious! Well we know at least one out of work comedy writer cares about the people. I say we find him and get him/her to write some stuff for ATS.

What do you all say? Let's get him/her to write a weekly funny conspiracy skit and promote it on digg etc.

Anyone know how to find the writer? And it would be interesting to see what has happened to them since writing that.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by TH3ON3]

Did you watch it?

It says right in the end credits that it was written by "Robert Smigel"

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Wow... so funny and not-funny at the same time... i cah see why it was nixed! Good find, thank you!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiredPirate

Did you watch it?

It says right in the end credits that it was written by "Robert Smigel"

I usually stop the video before the end. At least now someone can track him to see what he is doing these days.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TH3ON3

lol yeah, track him right back to snl where he's still writing hilarious (mostly political) cartoons.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This is included on the DVD "Saturday Night Live - The Best of Saturday TV Funhouse" which features many of the TV Funhouse cartoons by Robert Smigel (who, by the way, is the guy who does Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog).

www.amazon.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join