It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World of Warcraft Time Warp: a.k.a Where did my life go?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hello.

I have been a regular of WoW for the last couple years. I am sure many of you play as well.

I have always been amazed how quickly 4, 6, sometimes even 8 hours can disappear when you log on and play this game?

I have played lots of video games and have never seen or experienced anything quite like it... I have known people who have lost jobs to it, lost relationships to it, and in one case, a person who is on-line so often I am not quite sure how they even support themselves.

If you objectively observe what you are doing when you play the game it seems like nothing special, and yet it seems so all consuming at times.

I wonder.. do you think there is something subliminal in the MMO games? What do you think the potential applications of these games are?

Ret

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I wish i could play WOW online!!

But I had to sell my pc when i moved to the land of oz, so all i got now is a laptop, but you can bet as soon as i get a new pc i'll be playing WOW!!

But yeah mate, i know what u mean about time dissapearing when your playing a great game!

one of the best games i've played so far was Vampire Bloodlines, man, that game drew me into it like i was right there in that world, i was immersed in it, and i'd spend 5 - 6 hours a day playing that game!!

i didn't care much about the time i spent playing that game, cause i loved every second of it!!

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by retzius

Oh, and as to your question about the subliminal possibilities of MMORPG games...it's possible...

But i dont think it's subliminal messages that cause players to spend so much time playing the game, i think it's the simple fact that the game is way more interesting than real life ( or their lives for that matter )

You always want to reach that next lvl!!

it's addictive.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I dunno.. I hope your right.

I "forced" myself not to play today and to just watch "TV" this evening...

I cant tell you how slowly time seems to go when I dont play.. the evenings seem to go on soooo long lolz

I know what its like to fight cravings to something when you are trying to kick the habit.. and I swear, I feel like I'm fighting and addiction when I dont play..

Talk about a method of social control.. I think the implications are astounding.

Ret

link   
reply to post by retzius

Well it seems there has been a synchronicity with this thread and what happened today. This has been happening a lot to me lately. I got into a rather long conversation with a friend about this very thing. How strange. We were saying that World of Warcraft may use subliminal messages. We noticed how when your on it's almost like it does something to your brain that you can't get off. The strange thing is though if you take off of it for 3 days you have no desire to ever want to play again. It's like you step back and realize how it's all time consuming.

link   
Ahhhh Yes

I was a guild leader in Everquest for a time... it ended with my monitor thrown through a window by my wife at the time.

And

As I sit here having spent the bulk of my last 36 hrs when not sleeping chatting about Caves, arguing about Aliens

I am reminded to...

get up off my kiester

Go to the gym

and come home tonight and get some work done before my cable line goes off...

thank you very much!

Peace

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The strange thing is though if you take off of it for 3 days you have no desire to ever want to play again. It's like you step back and realize how it's all time consuming.

> Omg you are soo right about this... If you somehow "cant" play for a few days it seems like the last thing you want to do, almost like your body is rejecting it.. But once you log back on again its all over..

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

That must have been rough. I stopped playing games after realizing their addictive qualities and a feeling of not accomplishing anything fulfilling.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by retzius

It is. It's like going through withdrawal and cleansing it from your body. Then not wanting to put the drug back in your system. It's the strangest thing.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think it is sad to hear of people becoming so engrossed in a MMO that their real life falls apart. But it is a sickness and shows a lack of good judgement to allow yourself to suffer like that. When will the first case go to court where someone lost it all. Or has it already happened.

This is what I'm talking about when I say that companies are hiding behind freedom of speech to allow a game to affect so many people in a negative physical/social way.

But doesn't ATS advertise for WOW??? It is sadly mostly all about money, and I understand that in a way. But it's like I said to a friend, I know a guy who went from a minimum wage job to becoming a millionaire by becoming a bookie.

But his life fell apart and he got in trouble for it bigtime. I would have had much more respect for him if he had just kept his hourly job, but he had to take advantage of peoples weakness and make his living off of destroyed lives.

Now his life is destroyed. Karma

[edit on 29-10-2008 by TH3ON3]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I played WOW for maybe a year... mostly confining myself to the pvp battlegrounds as much as possible. I didn't enjoy the pve part much at all. But the battlegrounds rocked as far as I was concerned and I lost many hours to it. Whether there was anything subliminal to the game?... I sorta doubt it. Just very addictive and time consuming.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I'm not saying the game has like hidden words or codes making you play. But it's set up that you always want to keep going for that next piece of gear. It locks you into this bind where you do one quest and it's like....I'll nail out another....and it continues and continues. So many of my friends are addicted to the game. It's really troubling once you quit to see the hold it has on people.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

The age old question. Many great philosophers have been pondering this one to no avail.

The only thing that is certain is that WoW is one of the biggest home-wreckers

Unless your girlfriend plays WoW too. In which case why is she not your wife?

I don't play too much anymore but I was a Beta tester and have played off and on since. I am just in it for PvP, that's my thing.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
retzius,

I played one of the first MMORPGs called Asheron's Call. It didn't take long come to the conclusion that the whole point of the game was to get the player to play endlessly so those monthly service fees keep coming in. Is it fun? Sure but reality can be fun too and that may actually mean something. Besides, a few people on these forums seem to think that life/reality is an illusion or *ahem* a game! If they are right you are playing a game within a game! Kind of like Super Turbo Turkey Puncher!

Later!

Obsidience

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Lol it usually is their wives. Theres always that one married couple in the guild.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is an interesting intellectual exercise..

When I was going through dental school (graduated in 08) I was seeing 6 patients a day, handling 30+ units and I still could NOT quit this game.

I would study and see patients all day, play all night, stay awake all week with caffeine, vivarin, Monster and Red Bull, attend nightly raids..

I knew it was killing me but I lived for it..

I wonder.. if you spend more life and effort in the game, then what life is real and what life is fake?

I feel like when I play my mind is moving so fast and so stimulated that when I stop playing I need multiple forms of mental input just to keep interested in thing. for example, Ill watch TV, play on the internet, and download music all at the same time.

But when I WoW.. All I need to do is WoW

Ret

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I played EverQuest as well. For about 4-ish years actually and time does disappear. Although I never lost jobs, relationships, or anything but time really. Yet I made the decision after EQ lost interest for me to never play another MMO again. I figure there are more important things to do like sit here on ATS.

AS far as the subliminal mind-control aspect of it. I think if it were possible through television or something of that nature it definitely would be possible through an MMO.

[edit on 10/29/08 by Malynn]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by obsidience

I played AC as well. But did you play Ultima Online?
That one was pretty much the father of the genre.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Perhaps it is the fact that you play with that character from the beginning, building it up, spending so many hours playing "as" that character that your brain kinda assumes the personality of your character while your playing ?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alucard Hellsing
spending so many hours playing "as" that character that your brain kinda assumes the personality of your character while your playing ?

For the light of Elune what dost thou speakest of?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join