It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DSL download speed sucks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I got off the phone with Verizon today, again without resolution to my problem.

I had a transfer speed of about 59K while I was talking to this guy on the phone. The hardware and everything checks out ok. I also had a speed check and it checked out ok. But every time I download I'm somewhere around 60K-120K, and maybe a burst of 160K in the beginning of the download. I have roughly a 800K line, and I never see anything close to this on download speeds. I know it's not the fastest line, but it should still be fast.

I've been on the phone with Verizon too many times, and nothing ever gets resolved. I was losing the connection before.

I don't want to call them anymore, nothing gets handled. I've gone through the power cycles, reboots, cable reseating, swapping, and I'm still having problems.

You guys got any ideas about what could be causing me to have such slow download speeds? This is on any site I go to.

This guy mentioned me cleaning out the cache and stuff, but I know I'm not that clogged up, I don't use Windows XP that much, which was what I was using at the time. I have the same problem on XP as on Ubuntu. The download speeds can't be normal.

I'm sitting there telling him the transfer speed, but it's like I'm not really acknowledged, because on his end everything looks ok.

I feel like going back to cable if I can't get this resolved. An introductory offer might be worth looking into.

Troy

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Windows Vista made a great difference on my laptop, my desktop has XP and it is slower and they have the same DSL..............?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

It sounds like something is wrong with the actual wiring either in your house or the telephone companies wiring. Did you ever have a fast download speed? I had SBC regular DSL 6 mbit line and I averaged about 700 KB/sec on it. I now have U-verse digital DSL and i average about 800-900 KB/sec on it. Using windows XP64 bit.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
You misunderstand what you are seeing, most likely.

Exactly what level DSL do you have? (answers will range from 756K all the way up to 10 megs.

When you see the starting download speed, it is "NOT" your "REAL" download speed.

The reason is this, you are actually downloading for a little bit before the monitoring of it begins. It see's you have downloaded X amount in X time and gives you the rate.
BUT, since it was downloading for a bit before it regestered that, it gives you a false number in speed.

From what you say, download speed's in the range of 60-160K is about right for a standard 1.5 meg dsl line (the 1.5 meg is connection speed, not download speed).

I hope this helps explain what is happening, btw, I have found that verison tech's tend to be less than knowledgeable.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
If this is normal, I am certainly am not satisfied with it.

As an upgrade, I'm leaning toward cable because 1.5Mbps/384Kbps DSL is $41 a month.

Troy

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Im sorry to hear about yet another dissatisfied verizon dsl customer. The year that i had them was the worst year of my life for internet use. The company i worked for, sold dsl and i, 6 miles away could not get it due to verizon controlling the circuits.

Having speeds like yours for the first month, (after repairing my own phone line in the crappy apartment i rented) i finally got a tier 2 tech to do a circuit test and found i indeed had a bad circuit. 2 days later no net and finally get a new circuit. Every month disconnections for hours, slow speeds, and 3 techs to my place for a year. After moving back to the bigger city i went back to comcast for rocket fast speed as i used to have when i lived in another town before verizonville.

It continues.

After calling them and disconnecting my service upon moving i thought i had rid myself of them forever. But alas i had not. The next month they charged me for service. Ok call them up. "Hey Buddy, you guys billed me and i dont own your service anymore. I even cancelled when i moved." Them"Oh sorry, we have no record of you cancelling. It shows you havent used your equipment since this date. (The date i called and cacelled) We will credit you back and cancel it again."

Great Im NOW done with them. Alas no.

Next month, Double Billed. Called Verizon. "Hello!!! ive cancelled 2 months in a row and now you double freakin bill me" Them "So sorry sir, we have no record of you cancelling, ill credit you back, but it will take 90 days and I can cancel your account."

Called my bank and they reversed them all and blocked one amount but not the other. Didnt know they dont block by name. So month 4 and bam billed again for the first month amount. Thats where i found out they dont block by Name just the amount thats disputed. I did 2 and one was higher so they blocked that amount. So i had to cancel that card and get a new one.

Long story short, run as fast as you can away from verizon dsl and good luck cancelling.

**Disclaimer** The contents of this post are MY EXPERIENCE and mine alone. I don't know how it is in other parts of the country but that is and was my one and only experience with them and will NEVER EVER use their service ever again.

My $.02

Silver

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Btw, i wanted to apologize for my above ranting against verizon. As you can tell i had alotta pent up agressions against them that needed to be released. I should have added some of these :bnghd::bnghd: and these

LOL Ok im done Venting....Thank you all for your support

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I did and didn't want to put down Verizon. They just never seemed to handle my problem before of losing my connection. Maybe it was on my end though? Right now I've been up for quite some time. I think it could be in my phone jack.

I'm just not happy with it. If I gotta pay more in the future for better speed, then that's what I will do. Saving money isn't something I want to strive to do. I believe you should strive to have a life where you have the things you want, not settle for less. Getting a good deal is just icing on the cake.

I've got computers at my house to work on sometimes, and the faster I can download files, the faster I can get done. This could equal more free time or more income.

Of course with a blazing internet, files could be downloaded and installed in no time.

Troy

[edit on 1-11-2008 by cybertroy]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
either it is a virus or you dont have ports forwarded correctly

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Not a virus, the speed is the same for Linux and Windows XP. Linux isn't a virus magnet like Windows.

Explain "ports forwarded correctly." I really haven't messed with ports much..

Troy

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by cybertroy
Not a virus, the speed is the same for Linux and Windows XP. Linux isn't a virus magnet like Windows.

Explain "ports forwarded correctly." I really haven't messed with ports much..

Troy

well i dont know much about wifi or nothing but on a regular dsl modem or router.

go to the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 in most occasions. then this will bring up the hardware configuration for your router.

then you can create your login name and password and manage your dsl connection.

ok so lets say you want to play world of conflict or something of that nature

well certain games run on certain ports.

like 15217 or something of that nature.

so you will look for service configuration under your dsl configuration

then it will so port triggering or port forwarding and then you just type in a range of ports to open.

i would not open a range. i would open a specific one and then do two entries. one for tcp and one for udp.

the reason why i asked is because if your doing some games for downloading that might be why but if it is a firefox issue or something then it might be a virus. i get the virtumonde virus alot and it slows the internet to a crawl.

if your have a wireless connection some hacker might be freebaseing off your internet connection.

new topics

top topics

join