It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQ's of 70-100 think?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
IQ tests are flawed. They're not really that widely accepted.

True intelligence tests have to be standardized, like the ones you would take for college entrance.

Those claimed "genuises" that got 300+ on an IQ test most likely were coached, or faked totally for money.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Thanks OP.
This thread has inspired me to reread "Flowers for Algernon".

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I like puppeis and my house is red
.........and i like puppies

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Here is a Free IQ Test - if you're interested. It seemed fairly complex to my mind but it was stimulating to say the least. You have approx 12 minutes to complete the test otherwise the longer you take the lower the score you get.

At any rate - after it was all said and done - I scored a 110. And, boy, did I ever feel stupid.

Here's the link - www.testcafe.com...

xoxo

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ok, this is just my $0.02...

I have a nephew with an IQ of about 90. He has taught me a lot about the world, about myself, and about what it means to be "stupid".

Mainly people with "lower" IQ's don't think....they feel. They react on gut instinct, conscience, inner voice, emotion, divine intervention whatever you want to call it, something that those of us with higher IQ's spend our time trying to make logic out of, and mostly making fun of.

To them, it isn't always about the answer, but about the experience, the feelings, the sensations, the reaction of others. They have a tendency to be more in tune with other people's emotions, and generally more affected by them. They take pleasure in simple things, like beauty and the ebb and flow of nature. Instinctively they have a higher level of trust, and are easily abused by those who are "smart".

It's easy for them to be loving and giving and ask for nothing in return, because the simple fact of the matter is that they are rewarded by receiving what they give. Something those of us that have a lot more "smarts" and a lot less "common sense".

Like a lot of people that I have seen on this thread, I have a high IQ (+140), but unlike some people with a high IQ I've got a boatload of common sense because I chose to learn from those who were deemed "less intelligent" and learned to listen to my "gut" in addition to using the talent of logic.

Because of it, I can see connections and patterns that I never did before, and I don't spend as much time trying to "reason it out", and discovered that since then I am a much happier person...just like the "muppets", "morons" and "retards"....I've found that I am much more human.

I believe that what makes us human, what sets us apart from animals it that we have the ability to rely on both intellect and instinct and join them into a functional model. Those who spend too much time focusing on one are loosing out on some of the most wonderful experiences and will also miss out on that transformational moment when we finally understand.

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
How do people with iq's between 70 and 100 think? We adopted our daughter at age seven. She is now sixteen years old and we started having problems with her just before her last birthday. She was recently evaluated and had her iq scored. Her iq averaged at 84. She tested in the lowest area (bottom 2.2%) of intelligence when it comes to analytical thinking abilities (easily manipulated). Her integration of information is erratic. She is able to think through a behavior without having to act out and receive consequences. However her brain is affected by Limbic ADD. That type of ADD basically means a person is ruled by their emotions. A big weakness for that ADD is the pleasure center. She does not have the ability to perceive situations from a conventional or socially desirable perspective, which results in stress and conflict for her. She is unable to collect all the facts of a situation and repeat them back accurately.

She can be quite boring and gets bored easily. She is not a deep person and it is hard to have an intelligent conversation with her.

We have been stretched as parents. It is humbling for me the mom especially. I love my daughter very much and have had to rise to the task of finding a wise way to raise her. The best thing we can do for her is to teach her good character and how to be trustworthy, hard working, dependable and cheerful. She does realize she has weak areas and I do not want it to depress her. I have to reassure her that she has value and is worthy of respect. She needs to want to aim for the bullseye and not settle for crumbs. This is her weakest character issue. She is willing to settle for less because she does not see herself as worthy.

She has said many times that she just does not like to think. It has never made sense to me, but I believe her.

My two older sons are not adopted. They have above average iq's and are all around sensible. One of my sons and I were having a conversation about our situation and he said he does not have any dumb friends because he does not have patience for them. I know that sounds mean, but birds of a feather do flock together. It got me to thinking about how clicks form at school. My daughter hates preps and cheerleader/popular types. If we had grown up together, she would not have wanted to be my friend. So, I think it is a mutual thing that people who have the same intelligence abilities and or interests do flock together. I grew up with a more simple minded friend, but we had a passion for horses. We were best friends until our later teen years. We are both 48 now, but do not have a deep relationship. It is still on just a horse level.

I believe people with lower iq's are just more simple in nature and are more able to have fun. That comes with a price because I think to a degree that is what they live for. They must have distractions to take boredom away.

Higher iq people have the ability to escape boredom by the things they think about.

I don't necessarily believe smarter people are better to be around. It goes back to the character issue. What good is higher intelligence when it is not seasoned with grace, love, peace, patience, self control and joy?

[edit on 15-4-2010 by hardamber]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I don't know but my IQ is 169 and I don't feel smart....

I just feel like 2 people in one...... my mentally challenged half that dosen't have a clue about too many things to mention, and my airhead half that is socially a big dummy......

Put my two personality traits together the 69 one plus the 100 and you get 169....... not some smarty pants here!

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I think I can relate to your daughter - hardamber. It seems like I suffered from some form of ADD when I was a teenager. While I was in school my mind would always be elsewhere. It was very hard for me to focuse on anything - especially math. My god did I ever hate Math. Funny because today it is probably my strongest subject next to English. Anyway, I dropped out of Highschool at the start of 10th Grade and never looked back. I just spent my days playing video games and hanging out with my friends. It may sound like I was a loser but my lack of focus wasn't the only reason why I dropped out - I really didn't get a long with any of my Teachers.

But, even with my mind being " Elsewhere " that doesn't mean it was like in a vegatative state or anything. I was always pondering things in my head. Just things about life and personal expierences that I had been through. Old friends from the past, old girlfriends, fights that I had been in and witnessed my friends get into with other people. Not trying to protray my self as a hardass on the net or anything - just trying to give you an idea of the thoughts that would race through my head on a daily basis. I mean, it was like an everyday thing. I think this is because of how I grew up. I grew up in Bay City, Michigan. I lived on South Jackson Street and just down the block was " North Jackson " which is considered to be the " Hood " in Bay City. I grew up around blacks and mexicans and funny thing is I am white but I have always felt more attracted to them and more comfortable around them. I don't know why... I had to grow up very fast in this neighborhood and I have had a really huge ego even when I was just a toddler... I'm talking 4 or 5 I probably got into my first fight and that was normal for kids in my hood back then. I also started devoloping crushes on girls at a very early age and actually ended up losing my virginity when I was 8 years old to a 13 year old... lol... So I've never really been a kid... honestly... and it's not just me. All my friends back then were exactly like me.

Anyway, there is hope for your daughter. Lots of hope, in fact. With age comes wisdom. I am a totally different person today at age 25. I consider myself to be very smart but I am far from an " Intellectual " whatever that is. I'll admit - I taught myself absolutely everything about writing sentences ect. How and when to use proper punctuation; ect. - Periods; Commas; Colons; SemiColons; Dash's - You get the idea. I didn't learn ANY of this in the short time I was in school and nobody taught me it when I was out. I just picked up some " GED " books and read them and that is how I learned. Now, I'm far from an english major or whatever but I do have a pretty decent grasp on writing.

I think there is a clear difference between being " Smart " or simply being " Uneducated " - trust me there is a difference between the two. You could be soooo smart yet soooo uneducated. I know this one guy named Keith who is a perfect example of that. I met him in the hospital - he has a brilliant philosophy on life yet can't hardly spell.

Trust me... I've also met some very highly intelligent indivduals in the Mental Hosptials who just got themselves into a bad situation like I did. This one guy is just so smart you'd think he has an Immeasurable IQ. I'm not joking either. I am a very good judge of character and I've always been attracted to smart people. I may not be the smartest guy or most educated but when you run into someone who is -- you know it... Anyway, enough of this story - just trying to give you some hope that she has a very Bright future and the way you people described people with lower IQ's really reminds me of me during my teenage years. And today, not only am I a highly intelligent individual but I have a lot of common sense which has been with me since I was a kid and tons of street smarts as well.

=)))

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

this is an interesting post. i've noticed while reading the thread, some of the posters with higher IQs also exhibit ADHD like symptoms (although they don't appear to view the symptoms as symptoms but rather as personality traits inherent with being smart and therefore, intellectually bored in some cases). perhaps that aspect of ADHD has been misdiagnosed.

the inability to "concentrate" on a subject, may in some cases, be sheer frustration at the repetition of the subject that the individual has long ago, learned and analyzed, and perhaps, reached a different conclusion.

ever notice how if you don't immediately accept or agree with a position of someone else on a topic, that they may view your non-agreement as your lack of intelligence, and feel they must repeat it to you, as if the repetition of it would somehow convince you to take their stance? common sense would seem to dictate, that such an undertaking, is akin to repeatedly banging your head against a wall. i think this is an area where "smart folks" could benefit from a bit of fine-tuning.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

well i'd be more inclined to want whichever one had the best hand eye coordination (in addition to book knowledge).

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

yeah but that works out for you, statistically, ya know? you would, no doubt, realize you were in error and modify? i mean, obviously this hasn't always been true for science, as cherished theories die hard, but generally-speaking?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Aeons

yeah but that works out for you, statistically, ya know? you would, no doubt, realize you were in error and modify? i mean, obviously this hasn't always been true for science, as cherished theories die hard, but generally-speaking?

Perhaps I would - then again, the human ability to censor incoming data so that what you already believe seems more important is well documented. I am pretty damn certain that those of higher IQ are no more immune to this than any other person.

I would trust the dedicated slower IQ person with good data more than the pig-headed data-censoring high IQ person. Well thought out crap is still crap.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I once saw an area map of the Dallas Fort Worth metroplex, dividing each country by IQ. Collin county had the highest at 114 average, and tarrant county had the lowest at like 92 or something similar. I live in Collin county, and people already seem dumb enough around here. When I travel to tarrant county, I can literally feel the stupid everywhere. People drive slower, make numerous idiotic mistakes, play retarded hip hop, and smile through it all.

I think people with IQ 70-100 are mostly oblivious to what's going on, and why it's happening. They just like to feel good, and can't really think ahead too much.

I bumped into a guy about a month ago, that obviously wasn't too bright. He worked as a security officer for EDS, or some other corporation in Plano. I was on the phone in a convenient store (rare for me, I usually repsect people better than this) , needed to know directions, and this guy offered to help. He slowly gave me the correct directions, and I thanked him and moved on. I left the store and waited on my ride. He came outside and started randomly talking to me (very slowly) about his ordeal with his wife. He was concerned because he couldn't find some new mindless dvd for her, and she was demanding it. I just can't grasp this kind of thing. I'm worrying about the collapse of our financial system, the possible collapse of civilization this century, and massive biodiversity dieoff, and this guy is worried because he just can't find a dvd.
That's an 80-90 IQ for you right there.

reply to post by Illuminati_K1D

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that wasn't even close to a real IQ test. I scored 154, and that can't be correct.

I really didn't like that test because on a few Q's I either could come up with equal reasoning for each answer, or could see where the test maker wanted me to answer, but was also incorrect..

[edit on 16-4-2010 by unityemissions]

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I'm worrying about the collapse of our financial system, the possible collapse of civilization this century, and massive biodiversity dieoff, and this guy is worried because he just can't find a dvd. That's an 80-90 IQ for you right there.

Yeah... I run into people like that every so often. Kinda grates my nerves because here I am always pondering things such as the origins of the Universe or the truth behind 9/11 and the only thing on this persons mind is something really stupid; yet it seems so important to them.

Some people are just completely oblivious to the real world... I remember being at the Forensic Center and getting evaluated and I was telling them all about the " Illuminati " and they were looking @ me like I was the crazy one just because they had never heard of it before. I really wanted to slap them so many times.

As far as that IQ test goes - do you have any better ones? I like stimulating my mind every now and then so I would be willing to give one of yours a shot. That one was just some random one I found on the net.

But congrats on your score - obviously you are smarter than me!=)))

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   

This one is the closest to the real thing that I've seen online. Have fun!

IQ Test

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I can debate with the best of you. But my views almost always conflict with the majority of you.

I must be a dummy. Based on the above, my IQ must be 80 or lower.

Having conflicting views just means you have conflicting views with others, that's all.

And if you can actually disagree with the majority you're already one step ahead. At least you're not a sheep.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   

This one is the closest to the real thing that I've seen online. Have fun!

Thanks, man. It was very stimulating to say the least. Obviously, it deals with nothing but patterns but was very complicated for me. I never just " guessed " any of the answers. I tried taking my time and looked at each pattern individually trying to come up with the correct response. On my efforts - I hit a IQ score of 102. I don't feel stupid either and am actually shocked that I even managed to get that high. Very good test. I recommend it to anyone who wants a good brain teaser.

thx again!

=)))

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

You have come a long way from the hood in Bay City. I never knew Bay City was affected like that. I grew up not far from there. You seem to have overcome your early years. That is encouraging. My daughter does not have much common sense, which to me is the scariest thing.

It is good to hear that you are awake to what is going on in the world.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I can debate with the best of you. But my views almost always conflict with the majority of you.

I must be a dummy. Based on the above, my IQ must be 80 or lower.

Look at it this way, half the people that post here, and half the people you know have an IQ below 100. Scary, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   

You have come a long way from the hood in Bay City. I never knew Bay City was affected like that. I grew up not far from there. You seem to have overcome your early years. That is encouraging. My daughter does not have much common sense, which to me is the scariest thing. It is good to hear that you are awake to what is going on in the world.

Thanks for the nice comments. I have overcome a lot in my life and am proud of that. It has been a long journey for me; many highs as a kid but very many deep lows as a teenager and early 20's.

As far as I know Bay City has always been a fairly rough city. Sure, you have Center Ave. With all the pretty mansions and stuff but the funny thing is the " Hood " is just right around the corner and it's like a totally different world there.

I remember when I began sixth grade I attended " Handy " middle-school which is a very bad school. Whites are definitely the minority there and I was always scared every day I went to school. I skipped as many days as I could without my mom finding out about it. I remember some mexican girls got into a fight in the girls bathroom and one got stabbed and they were considering putting cameras up in the bathroom after that. People used to slang drugs in the hallways and there was fights just about every day - at school or at the bus stops, anyway.

To say the least - it has left a lasting impression on me. If anything going through that just made me a stronger person though. I wouldn't trade my childhood for the world.

Anyway, I am very aware of what is going on in the world. I keep an open mind to conspiracies and stuff - I'm far from a conspiracy nut but to me I believe there is a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to the Government and this so-called " War on Terrorism ".

Well, that's all I can think of for now. And best wishes to you and your family. Hopefully things turn out good for your daughter.

~ Matt ~

[edit on 16-4-2010 by Illuminati_K1D]

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join