It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQ's of 70-100 think?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Look into the "Theory of Multiple Intelligences".

Reasoning and logic are no all there is out there.

BTW, "Mensa" means "moron" in Spanish.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

To those that say IQ is a myth. If IQ really “didn’t matter” then the people that continually chant it is “worthless” would be quick to drag out a ton of studies showing that Little Johnny tested time and time again as someone with an IQ of 85, yet Little Johnny became a leading neurosurgeon later in life.

They would have a lots of research proving that IQ does not effect ones ability to enter any chose profession, and that many with an IQ deemed “below average” went on to become leading surgeons, engineers, physicists, and mathematicians, or the CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies. That is EXACTLY what they would be showing as PROOF that IQ means nothing.

If that is the case where is that proof?

when i worked in mental health, we had a lady that was classified as "retarded". Her IQ scored in the 50 range.

Yet, she was able to speak fluently in German, English, Spanish, Russian, Latin, French, and some Amerind language (i can't recall). She only "appeared" retarded when she made one of myriad faux pas throughout her day (like eating something that fell to the ground, or being taken advantage of by someone smooth talking her).

IQ is silly. A waste of time to measure, as it only gives those who score high something to feel superior about, and those who score low something to be ashamed of.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Look into the "Theory of Multiple Intelligences".

Reasoning and logic are no all there is out there.

BTW, "Mensa" means "moron" in Spanish.

And 'table' in Latin.

I apparently have a very high I.Q, however it's more of a burden than anything else. Once people realise you're above average in that regard you're suddenly expected to out-perform the rest of the population and go on to great things. Furthermore, any error on your part is seized upon by your detractors and you're constantly told that you're 'belittling' people.

I.Q tests themselves are broken anyway, as has been previously discussed, no doubt. They were developed for identification of learning difficulties, not measuring the degree of smartness. They also have a strong western bias producing generalisation difficulties to anyone who has been brought up outside of the western world.

Anyway, what is it like for me in terms of thinking? I never stop thinking, and usually have a good 3-4 thoughts churning over in my head at any one time. I also tend to analyze things too closely, and therefore am prone to stress, and social anxiety due to others not being within a set of rules that i can examine and follow.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
They also have a strong western bias producing generalisation difficulties to anyone who has been brought up outside of the western world.

That is absolute rubbish!

In fact Asians and East Indians typically outscore whites on those "westernized tests" and they are NOT PART OF THE WEST! If the tests are biased they must be favoring Asians even though they were developed by Caucasians in western society! In fact tests developed in NON-western socieites show the same standard deviations as the ones developed IN the west!

Quit parroting PC non-sense and learn the facts. If your IQ is so high put it to good use and do some research.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rentor
I believe there are two kinds of smart people
1.People who memorize from books and get awesome grades and whatever
2. People with outstanding reasoning and common sense.

But I have notice, you cannot consume both of them. You can only have one. But, isn't that a good thing? Because then they co-exist with each other. The person with number 2 thinking helps the number one type of person and lead to new discovers and so on. If that even make sense to anyone

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Rentor]

. . . I don't know -
- couldn't you eat one today and the other tomorrow?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nineteen
The brain is just a transformer - the higher IQs have a better organic base than the lower ones. People whose brains are damaged by traumatic injuries can remember what it was like to be as they were, but are no longer able to function as before. For example if speech is affected or they have become hemiplegic. That's my thoughts on the brain side.

As far as IQ tests they are indicative of particular measured abilities, but fail in a holistic sense. For example, musical and artistic abilities.

Ninteen and all others I suggest very strongly before you, like many here have made a fool of themselves, in their apparent genius lol, you look at this recent Post I added to this thread:

Can Head Injuries Cause Mental Illness?

Where you will see with some medical conditions, and injuries of the brain, with only around 10% of the normal Brain present people have gone on and completed Degrees. in addition some people with only 1 hemishphere of their brain present have been very successfull, lawyers and led lives where they were considered intelligent!

It kind of leans to the idea that the spiritual, non mechanistic nature of Consciousness and mind outside of our bodies is where most of our Mind actually is.

Now:

Originally posted by Sonya610
To those that say IQ is a myth. If IQ really “didn’t matter” then the people that continually chant it is “worthless” would be quick to drag out a ton of studies showing that Little Johnny tested time and time again as someone with an IQ of 85, yet Little Johnny became a leading neurosurgeon later in life.

They would have a lots of research proving that IQ does not effect ones ability to enter any chose profession, and that many with an IQ deemed “below average” went on to become leading surgeons, engineers, physicists, and mathematicians, or the CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies. That is EXACTLY what they would be showing as PROOF that IQ means nothing.

If that is the case where is that proof?

Well well Ok then.

It is a widely held urban myth that Einstein "Flunked" maths in School. This is not correct he was way above the norm in all Mathematical abilities from an early stage.... however the following is true, that as he was rebellious one Head teacher said to him:

You will never amount to much!

And further that:

Einstein was slow in learning how to speak. His parents even consulted a doctor

Time Magazine 20 Things You Should Know about Einstein

So that's one I would say.

And further This Man:

This web site is dedicated to Richard P. Feynman (1918-1988),
scientist, teacher, raconteur, and musician. He assisted in the development of the atomic bomb, expanded the understanding of quantum electrodynamics, translated Mayan hieroglyphics, and cut to the heart of the Challenger disaster. But beyond all of that, Richard Feynman was a unique and multi-faceted individual.

Feynman's homepage

Mmm Nobel laurreate, pioneer in Quantum Physics developer of the Atomic Bomb according to his Biography which I have by Gleick on p21 states

Merely Respectable IQ of 123 when tested...

Or how about this man of great fame and ability, you have to be good to be admired by Meglamaniacs:

the IQ of Andre Massena, one of the most talented commanders of Napoleon’s army, was 103,

Napoleon said that Massena was the greatest person of his military Empire.

Science & Technology Magazine on IQ

And further to be honest some of the claims in some of the posts here nearly made myself wet myself with laughter. I think people are getting a bit confused between a 5 minute Tickle test and a true IQ test.

Anyhow for the IQ stated as being 200, really?

well this may be down to the differant scales, but im sure a genius of that capacity on either scale would be very aware of this, and point out out which one they were "stating" like FAAL does on her documents lol, which one it was.

Whichever scale you use at 200 you are serious Genius Material, and would without a doubt have been picked up in school as a "progidy", infact it seems due to the only statistical 6 million genius's alive today in the world at those sort of levels, nearly everyone of them in the english speaking world has posted on this Thread, and are members of ATS! wow.

GO ATS!

Now back to Sonya's belief that these genius's all run Fortune 500 companies etc and are blazing in their field, that IQ is really important in success, and Meow to you, you seem to be a bit precious in your intellectual snobery and beliefs however I am sure you will find this very interesting, and also for those who have stated IQ's of 130-200 etc, and "who dont know anyone with an IQ below 120" really is that so?

Do you live in Geniusville?

This might be able to take your obviously massive intellects to even more boundless expansions:

In his Book "Genius" by the great Scientist, and the worlds leading Authority on Intelligense Testing! Dr. Hans Eysenck
(and I suggest everyone read this book its wonderful, especially the relationship between Traumatic Childhood emotional events and Artistic and literary brilliance in later life, anyhow back on topic) in that book on page 48 he states that:

a boy who read fluently at three, who became a university dropout, spent two years on the dole, and is now a low-paid office manager.

Another fellow who had an IQ of 170 at 9 is a van driver. One musical prodigy with an IQ of 169, at 29 is running a band. She lacked ambition.

Another female prodigy is now a full-time mother and is very content with her life. Not one of Dr. Leta Hollingworth's children above 180 "is known to have developed to a 'genius' level or anything approaching it".

In my own personal experience, one friend, with a childhood IQ of 169, became a Ph. D. psychologist, earning a J. D. at night. Another friend, who scored 1600 on the Graduate Record Exam in the 50's when this maight have been the highest score in the country, got his Ph. D. at Harvard and then spent a successful, though quiet, career in a university physics department. (One of his departmental chairmen once told him that he wasn't ruthless enough.) Another individual, who rivalled William Sidis in early precocity, taught physiology as an M. D. in the Harvard Medical School.

As said above I feel that some posters, have well made a bit of Fools for themselves rather than proving any genius abilities?

As shown anyhow genius does not correlate with IQ.

And as these children were picked up as genius children and prodigies, being in the top end of the 1 percentile of population, and teens with the IQ's as shown above, well I would really leave tickle alone, edit my posts and walk away Intellectually slapped by an Elf.

Will the real Genius Please stand up?

Elf bows and smiles at Js Becky

Thinks Sonia should really read more herself to be honest? (in realtion to your last post!)

PS

Originally posted by daisyduck
Mummy Where are the bumble bees this year? I'll be perfectly honest. This is one of those topics that I absolutely HAVE to love. I flagged it, yes, as it is important. As for myself, I just can't get too involved. Just like many people resist or ignore bees because they can't handle it, I'm ignoring this. At least I'm honest about it and I haven't started debunking

Um notice a correlation with my signature below? what are you doing? at least give the originator of the words some credit, I love the quote but its in relation to ... see below?

logs off for Omnipresence once again!

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I've got one son with an IQ of 60 and another with an IQ of 160.
Guess who achieves the most at work, thinks the most deeply, takes proper care of himself and his clothes and cooks for us each night?

The first one.

He can't read or write, so he has invented his own picture sript to write things out with and can read them back.

At 3 years old, before he learned any conventional language he called the moon Gowayum. He explained 3 years later when he could communicate verbally in English what this and his other made-up words had meant. The moon was Gowayum because it kept going away each month.

When being assessed at 4 to see what extra help he needed he had to wait for an hour while the results were analysed. As he was bored and loved drawing I asked for felt-tip pens and paper, which he quickly put to good use. When the psyche came back out he adoringly presented her with the comic book he'd made for her. She was furious, throwing it in the bin and accusing me of drawing that to make the "moron" (she insisted the word was clinically correct,) seem smart.

At primary school, when the hate-filled Principal went overboard in being cruel to him, my son explained to him kindly that he understood why he was so angry. Son said he knew what it was like to have to spend an afternoon on the principal's office as a punishment, so it must be awful to have been so naughty one had to spend all one's time in there.

Now he's a sensitive, caring, hardworking 6' 2" adult with a temper problem, and with difficulties in understanding what's going on. But he tries. He'll sit for hours discussing people and their motivations, trying to understand the economy, politics and religion.

A lot of people in this world work hard and enrich society, but are considered dirt by others who don't realise their own apparent success may be no more deserved than another person's lack of apparent success is.

Btw, the second kid is wonderful too, and his high IQ hasn't made his life any easier than his big brother's has been.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I am not sure if I can compare the I.Q. of a person with being gifted. But no matter what level, in my eyes the I.Q means nothing. There are gifted people and there are people that are differnetly gifted. I maybe made these test about 20 times over the last 20 years. Range 80-160. I see it as just having either a good brain day or a bad brain day. Probably should eat breakfast every day.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Been a while since I last took a test, I was then and hope I'm still above 110, how I wished my common sense and street savvy were on the same level.

Took me at least 35 yrs of life before I found common sense, so for me common sense is a more important and valuable attribute.

Wolfie

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

At 3 years old, before he learned any conventional language he called the moon Gowayum. He explained 3 years later when he could communicate verbally in English what this and his other made-up words had meant. The moon was Gowayum because it kept going away each month.
reply to post by Kailassa

This melts my heart.

I cannot understand why so many give up on those who are gifted in a way that we do not fully understand.

Your post made me happy. Tell your son/daughter that I observe the phases of Gowayum every night. We are in the third day of the new Gowayum tonight.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
My IQ score indicated that I am 'bordeline retarded' but I have been getting along just fine (so far).

How do I think? I try not to!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

InfaRedMan, I think Lucid was obviously joking, trying to lighten the mood of this thread, and he was quite funny.

Anyway I think Sonya made a good point, is there evidence that supports IQ test don't matter? I personally don't think they mean much however that is a good question to ask. How many doctors score low on IQ test? How many kids in poor school systems score high?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
PS Tell him I have spent many days pissing people off as well without understanding why they got so pissed.

After a while I gave up on people until I met an ageing hippie in California near Joshua Tree who taught me that domesticated humans see the world in the light that the teachers of this world taught them.

He then said that some are given a different light and that the path of humility, love and kindness allows the gift to shine.

We do not place a lamp under a bucket, we place the lamp on top of the bucket in order for others to have light.

Of course i could be full of crap. lol

Tell him not to feel frustrated as he is gifted, ask him if he would care to cultivate humility as that is a pathway with which a gift such as his can travel.

lol

Peace
WR

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I can debate with the best of you. But my views almost always conflict with the majority of you.

I must be a dummy. Based on the above, my IQ must be 80 or lower.

Why does it follow that you must be a dummy if you are in conflict with the majority of those here? I simply see it as thinking for yourself since mutual (or majority) agreement on a matter does not imply truth.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rentor
I believe there are two kinds of smart people
1.People who memorize from books and get awesome grades and whatever
2. People with outstanding reasoning and common sense.

But I have notice, you cannot consume both of them. You can only have one. But, isn't that a good thing? Because then they co-exist with each other. The person with number 2 thinking helps the number one type of person and lead to new discovers and so on. If that even make sense to anyone

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Rentor]

So...Einstein read books and got good grades so he had no common sense?

I can't agree with you here. You don't have any reasoning behind saying this. I understand this is sort of your opinion but you're stating the second portion of your statement as fact.

intelligence - capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity (From the Dictionary)

Your intelligence quotient is just an approximation of how well you understand and reason.

What you're speaking of is what people refer to as "book smart" or "street smart"...

I think you can easily be both.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The 4 intelligence-related things I want in life are....

Eidetic Memory or Photographic Memory:

See:
en.wikipedia.org...

True emotional intelligence with the ability to instantaneously
"Read" people and "Get" what they are thinking or talking about
on an emotional/relationship level.

See:
en.wikipedia.org...

The specific abilities of a savant without the frailties:

See:
en.wikipedia.org...

a 160+ IQ so I can truly have the ability to take over the world
and gloat about it without any repercussions whatsoever.

See:
en.wikipedia.org...

otherwise if I can't have all that....someone
with the boobs of Pamela, the curves of a young Britney,
the lungs and voice of Celine, the face of Catherine Zeta Jones,
the lips of A. Jolie and the mind and demeanor of Barbara Walters
and I'll be a happy camper! -- Really? Is that really too much to ask for?!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
i have an iq of around 120 and my gf has an iq of around 80.

i do stupid things like go on full weekend drink and drug benders whilst my gf is a lot more sensible.

But i find it almost impossible to have a conversation with her about world affairs etc.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
My point is, there are many like me in society. You see us every day, in the markets, on the streets, in your apartment buildings. You walk by us with nary a glance.

We do what we need to do to get by day by day. We look to you smart people to run things. But things aren't so good, are they?

Ask us what we think. You'd be surprised at the common sense answers we'd give you....

I find it astonishing to see (here in the uk at least) how many so called smart people are up to their eyeballs in debt.

Youv'e got to be one dumb smart person to buy things you don't need with money you don't have, to impress people you don't neccassarily like.

The smartest person I know seems to be my mum, zero education but zero debt. She's 70 now and has never had any form of credit all her entire life and as far as I'm aware has never borrowed money ever.

My mums attitude to the credit crunch ? " I don't have credit or want any " no worries.

So i think trying to measure intelligence is a pretty pointless excercise, especially as some supposedly very smart people demonstrate a catastrophic lack of common sense.

A baboon spends it day picking 100 bananas and eating them. A human seems to spend its day picking 200 bananas and eating 2, then giving the rest to someone else for the privelage of picking them, whilst believing they still have 200.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
i worry too much to get into debt. any time ive owed anymore than £1000 ive freaked out and paid it back as quick as i could.

i dont know how people live with it, it would do my head in

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join