It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do people with IQ's of 70-100 think?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by gullychief

OK, how about current events? Your choice.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Do not ever wish to be "smart". Being truly intelligent is a curse, not a blessing.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by sir_chancealot

If I had been given a choice in the matter!!

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I did a book report about currents once. Did you know that an undertow doesn't really pull you under?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by jsobecky

I did a book report about currents once. Did you know that an undertow doesn't really pull you under?

It does the same thing you are trying to do to this thread.

Buh-bye...

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by gullychief
One of my school teachers said to me once, something along these lines:

"You may score high on the IQ test, but on the common sense test, you fail miserably."

My IQ is in the high 140's as well AND I have had teachers tell me the same thing. My family jokes when I royally screw something up. They roll their eyes at me and say, "Engineers! You are not as smart as you think you are, are you?" Actually, I'm not the one who gave me the IQ test so young and decided to place me in the academically gifted classes. None of that way my doing. I was just a kid moseying along the best I could. I never asked for it.

I would love to have a regular IQ and be able to think without over-thinking. Life is too difficult when you are always thinking and your brain won't stop. If ignorance is bliss, I'd rather be ignorant any day of the week.

In reality, IQ means nothing, just like my computer/electronics engineering degree means nothing...especially since I live in an area where there are NO jobs for that field. I took what the school said I was most suited for because I aced the math portion of the placement test. I did great on the English part too, but I got a perfect score on the math and they railroaded me into engineering. Don't get me wrong. I love theory and all that is used in engineering and I truly enjoy it, but I would rather have been an English major and become a writer. I enjoy English far more.

IQ is just that; IQ. It doesn't do anything by itself. It's what you do with what you have that matters most. You can be the smartest cat in the room, but if you never really use it, it means nothing. I've seen people with "low" IQs who were the most crafty people I have ever met. I admire them for using every bit of what they have upstairs. That is what counts; not how much you have, but what you do with what you DO have.

[edit on 10/30/2008 by Rusty P. Shackleford]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
I ask myself the same thing at times. I know that they do. That is all that I, as an adult with an IQ of 123 can say. Except that for the grace of god go I.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Chics know what is going on. So do you. Unfortunately chicks can't use brains and drive a car. IQ spread, we all know what is going on or we have been blinded. I come from the 60+ IQ category and am pleased to inform you on a categorical Intelligence Quota level, that everything is going smooth. Mummy Where are the bumble bees this year? I'll be perfectly honest. This is one of those topics that I absolutely HAVE to love. I flagged it, yes, as it is important. As for myself, I just can't get too involved. Just like many people resist or ignore bees because they can't handle it, I'm ignoring this. At least I'm honest about it and I haven't started debunking

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I debunked that bee for bumbling! I guess that lowers my IQ by 12 points.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   
my IQ ????? never cared to test it.

The US Navy wanted me to go to OCS to become officer but i would have had to sign up for 6 years.
No Thanks

I have worked as a journeyman or above in 6 trades
In two trades to superintendent level.
I first started collage in 1974 and am still taking collage classes.
This semester its wind turbine technology.

I still take collage classes even though with my disability's I will never be able to work a regular job again.

When i was in the navy i made more money doing maintenance or repairing the cars of others on the ship i was on then my navy pay.
I never got in trouble on the ship because i fixed all the officers cars and They did not want me mad at them.
They would have had to learn how to change there own oil.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by daisyduck

Chix are dumb?

BlondeStar..Always on because you're always blonde...

[edit on 30-10-2008 by jsobecky]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I have a ex brother in law who has an IQ of 190,one thing I've always noticed he lacks in common sense,and can't hold one position very long,changed careers like I change my socks,most with lower IQ's are good at repititiuos work,make good heavy equipment operators

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

I have a ex brother in law who has an IQ of 190,one thing I've always noticed he lacks in common sense,and can't hold one position very long,changed careers like I change my socks

Yeah see...further proof of the IQ I stated earlier.

Whenever I feel it's time to change my socks, I change my job instead.

[edit on 30-10-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gullychief

i agree with you, i have an I.Q. of 137, and i worked in the computer field, but on the hardware side. i have never been able to hold a job for longer then 8 years, for 2 reasons...1, i get bored with the work, or 2, my supervisors/company institutes some policy that is illogical and/or unreasonable for the most efficient use of my time. frustration sets in, negativity grows, and soon i either quit or i'm fired.

Mod Note: Excessive Quoting – Please Review This Link

[edit on 31/10/08 by Jbird]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
To those that say IQ is a myth. If IQ really “didn’t matter” then the people that continually chant it is “worthless” would be quick to drag out a ton of studies showing that Little Johnny tested time and time again as someone with an IQ of 85, yet Little Johnny became a leading neurosurgeon later in life.

They would have a lots of research proving that IQ does not effect ones ability to enter any chose profession, and that many with an IQ deemed “below average” went on to become leading surgeons, engineers, physicists, and mathematicians, or the CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies. That is EXACTLY what they would be showing as PROOF that IQ means nothing.

If that is the case where is that proof?

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Having an IQ of around 200 I also see my views conflict with the majority here

So I think it's all relative to the respective bracket.

ROFL.. Uhuh.. yep.... I believe you but thousands wouldn't!

If you had an IQ of 200 you would be a certified genius and you certainly wouldn't be whittling away your time on this website. Dream on!

I'll call you on this one mate!

IRM

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

You shouldn't have fed me that post.

My IQ just raised ten points thanks to you. 210.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
The brain is just a transformer - the higher IQs have a better organic base than the lower ones. People whose brains are damaged by traumatic injuries can remember what it was like to be as they were, but are no longer able to function as before. For example if speech is affected or they have become hemiplegic. That's my thoughts on the brain side.

As far as IQ tests they are indicative of particular measured abilities, but fail in a holistic sense. For example, musical and artistic abilities.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The thing about IQ is that people from different age groups can not be compared. It is apples to oranges because of how IQ is calculated. IQ's apply only within your age because the data from all tests from that age are taken and your score is weighed relative to that data set. It means that the number you receive as your IQ score is how well you did against individuals of your same age.

Secondly chimpanzees have poor logical long term memory, though they d still have memories based on emotional events. Chimps have super human short term memory exceeding even the brightest human.

The experiment was performed on a touch screen. Nine numbers flashed on the screen for a split second and then each number was covered by white pixels. The task the chimp had to do was to touch each number in sequence. Time after time, the chimp touched all nine in the correct order. When the same was given to a human adult most of the time only three to four numbers in order were achieved.

We have evolved differently than chimps and it is a wrong assumption to believe that we have evolved to be any better in terms of the absolute.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I and my old lady both score about 130 yet we scored very high in different areas, she scored a few points higher than me.

My old lady is good with math.......I have a feel for other areas.

I underwent extensive tests with a couple of shrinks over a period of two months. This was a PTSD study. IQ was measured as well as other traits which made me aware that I was not fully aware of the whole picture. lol

IQ is a small part of the elephant. I am missing certain social skills that many have but I make up for it in being empathetic while my old lady is a master of social skills with very little empathy.

My girls are all very social with the blonde one being the blondest. lol She works in law. lol

I do whatever I find interest in while my old lady wants to advance her carreer.

I tried the career thing but once I saw over the horizon I broke the chains that bound me. lol

Peace
WR
edit
My typing skills suck

[edit on 30-10-2008 by whiteraven]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join