It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time For Some Positives To Moving To America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
You know, thread after thread is bashing the american way. I'm not fond of american foreign policy, however i wanted to point out some things that would make me move to america.

1) The wilderness.

America has such a varied habitat it's amazing. From desert to tundra, from pine forest to rainforest, america has it all. To drive from one habitat to another is something i long to experience. I would love to stay with people in each habitat and learn about the wild in their area.

2) The constitution

The american constitution was constructed from laws in England. However the document itself was a brillant combination of them all and is something the american people should be damn proud of. I would happily use this as a basis for any country.

Those are my reasons, can you think of more?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Yeah, the wilderness wants me to live there for a while also. From what i hear it's truly beautiful, and the area of it is unrivalled from what we have here in the United Kingdom.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
Yeah, the wilderness wants me to live there for a while also. From what i hear it's truly beautiful, and the area of it is unrivalled from what we have here in the United Kingdom.

Speaking as someone who has spent time rough in the UK, yes the UK has bugger all wilderness. We havea few, small forests in comparison to the US and hardly any different habitats.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
3. If your rich and have the right connections, you can get away with murder or stealing millions even billions.

4. You can find drugs anywhere.

5. 500+ TV channels to numb your brain.

6. The highest number of people incarcerated (in prison) on earth.

7. Freedom of speech zones, to unload your thoughts.

and so many more fun excellent things

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

*sighs* The thread really was mean tot point out the positives and you just went for the negatives. I think my point on negative stereotypes is proven in your post.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
1/ (Repeat) The Constitution, a document that is Unique in it's construction and intent.
2) THe Declaration of Indepence, one of the finest documents ever written.
3. THe Appalachian Trail
4. The Mississippi Delta, which gave birth to some of the greatest music in the world! (Think Robert Johnson, Howlin' Wolf, B.B. King, Muddy Waters)
5. The deserts of New Mexico, and Arizona.
6. A Republic, which for all it's faults, gives all legal citizens a voice in government. (And for those who want to complain about the government not being responsive to the people, get off your butts and get involved. THen you can complain.)

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Well this will come as no surprise considering I live in Winnipeg, the weather in the US is absolutely wonderful compared to the prairies of Canada. I was down in texas 2 years ago for my sister's wedding in the middle of summer and my god it's like shangri la (sp?) down there! A summer without mosquitoes? Where do I sign?
Not to mention the beautiful scenery in the south west with the canyons and such. If you have the opportunity to take a road trip thoughout the US, I suggest you do it.

There is also a sense of pride when you are in the US that people have, that no matter the individual differences, everyone is proud to live in one of the greatest nations that has ever graced the earth. There is a sense of non stop energy in any city that you visit.

In the many times I have visited the states, I have never been disappointed.

Oh ya would like to add one more thing. Your highways are a million times better than what we have here in Canada. I mean literally, as soon as you cross the border, the quality difference is like night and day.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

Thank you Luke, with all this election stuff and to much ATS i needed that. You reminded me why i volunteered to defend it. I was going to reccomend the OP ask on Nov. 5th and there may be more partisipation.

Truly, Thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad
reply to post by Cool Hand Luke

Thank you Luke, with all this election stuff and to much ATS i needed that. You reminded me why i volunteered to defend it. I was going to reccomend the OP ask on Nov. 5th and there may be more partisipation.

Truly, Thanks

Well you can ask me to ask then but i just am getting slightly tired of the american bashing. Hell i've bashed american foreign polciy many times (and i wil continue to do so) but it's about time some positives were pointed out i think. I say that an an englishman as well!

I don't like patriotism, i'm just trying to find some very good parts of the USA.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

1. ATS, alot of folks think they need to hide there feelings, but you can express them anywhere. (in generall) depends more on demographics then the gov.
2. Most people do not look at the good we do around the world.
3. Look at how much US donates to charities around the world.
I appreciate your honesty on our policies and thats another great one, We have a right to disagree and it's OK.

Thanks for the thread and keeping it on point, Good work

Oh and each year we do a camping trip up a logging road in the mountains, (guys trip) and camp on a rock ledge where every morning we wake up and have coffee looking down on the clouds and a river. No one within miles, its incredible. I will see if i can find a pic.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
You may want to add the California deserts to your list.

One really nice thing about the deserts and forests of the US, especially out here in the west is, head out into the wilderness on a weekday and you seldom run into other people.

Part of it is knowing where to go and part is knowing the lay of the land and staying away from easily accessed areas.

The air here in N/W Arizona is very clear.
Many times we've sat on the front porch of a friends house up on the hill and watched lightning storms in excess of 100 miles away.

A 2-3 week well-planned vacation in the S/W US can be highly interesting.
Even tourist spots like the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Hoover Dam are worth the effort.

We meet a lot of Europeans touring N/W Arizona and they're riding (motor) bikes, driving rental cars and herding motor homes.

Early spring is an excellent time to vacation in the great deserts of the US.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

1. ATS, alot of folks think they need to hide there feelings, but you can express them anywhere. (in generall) depends more on demographics then the gov.

You will forgive me saying that ATs is an international effort.

2. Most people do not look at the good we do around the world.

Debatable, but at least you cntribute to food aid. That i respect.

Thanks for the thread and keeping it on point, Good work

I'm trying

Oh and each year we do a camping trip up a logging road in the mountains, (guys trip) and camp on a rock ledge where every morning we wake up and have coffee looking down on the clouds and a river. No one within miles, its incredible. I will see if i can find a pic.

Sounds great! I'd love to do that, i really would love to visit america but i admit i don't visit due to a mix of illness and not wanting to give my fingerprints up at the airport. I kind of like my freedom.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
The USA is a great place, don't get me wrong, but consider this:

Who comes to America for a better way of life?
Who has made it its new home, a place for new beginnings, well, the outcasts, the thugs, the criminals, the lowlifes of many countries, I'm sure that if you are doing Ok in your everyday life, then you wouldn't be moving to America!

Even the pilgrims were outcasts...
Take for instance the case of mexican immigrants, most of them come from the outer villages in the middle of nowhere, have no education, have no moral backgrounds, come from extreme poverty, and couldn't even care less about anything but the money they come to earn...
And it was the same for the chinese, the irish, the africans, the south americans.

They came here without nothing, to start something new, well that something new results in what warrenb wisely pointed out...

Now, most of those people are fine decent hard working people, but most of them were just running away...
We cannot generalize, but we cannot ignore those facts, a country is as great as its people...

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I now want to move to the USA for a short while, explore the wilderness and take in the society. Shame about the immigration policy

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
3. If your rich and have the right connections, you can get away with murder or stealing millions even billions.

You can get away with stealing billions, but not murder. They came down pretty hard on OJ.

4. You can find drugs anywhere.

Unfortunately, no. We do still have drug laws in the US. It is relatively difficult to find good drugs because drug dealers are paranoid that new customers could be cops.

5. 500+ TV channels to numb your brain.

This is true, but the TV channels cost money.

6. The highest number of people incarcerated (in prison) on earth.

Does China beat the US in this regard? Perhaps not.

7. Freedom of speech zones, to unload your thoughts.

and so many more fun excellent things

You can more or less say what you want on any non-private property anywhere in the US, you just might look like a jackass if you decide to hold a protest in the wrong place. (Depending on who you are and what you have to say, you might look like a jackass if you protest in any place.)

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
2) The constitution

The american constitution was constructed from laws in England. However the document itself was a brillant combination of them all and is something the american people should be damn proud of. I would happily use this as a basis for any country.

That is not factually correct. The American constitution was a product of early Republicanism that was prevalent in Europe. especially France and within America. Its also inspired by early Greek philosophers and other French social commentators. Most of it is quite unique and new and thus was described as the "grand experiment" .

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

Most yes, all no. Some of it was based on the english judiscial system. However i stil regard the constitution as a wonderful document as it encapsulated so many laws into one document.

What anoys me is how it has so recently been corrupted. However this is still a positive to america as it's such a great document.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneEyedProphet

What country are you from? Have you been to America?

To the OP, this is what i'm talking about on ATS. Becoming so negative.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
I now want to move to the USA for a short while, explore the wilderness and take in the society. Shame about the immigration policy

Legal immigration into the USA is one of the hardest things to do these days for someone trying to get in without some family already here.

100 years ago any bum off the boat was given citizenship, today, only with thousands of dollars and a couple of lawyers can you hope to gain citizenship.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Given that your in England, i'm pretty sure we gave a lot of lives to protect you, France, Poland, Italy................ How quickly we forget.
Also we are a staunch allie of yours and vice versa which gives you a huge level of protection.

All military members please speak up if you disagree, but when i was in we believed you did'nt mess with USA or England or else you'll have hell to pay. Of topic of policy though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join