It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Work Ethic Dead?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeeJay
I have, in the past, worked meaningless jobs, and put a considerable amount of effort into these jobs. I went above and beyond daily. What did it get me? Nothing. If someone's life isn't in your hands, or something of that nature, then I see nothing wrong with doing what you gotta do to get by.

I have also done these jobs and yet i still worked my hardest, so my question is why you gave up.

However it seems even more common with the current generation, they are barely willing to work at McDonalds, instead wanting to sit on benefits all day .

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
When i started work i hated my first job, but i still did it to the best of my ability, this lead to promotion, i worked above and beyond what was needed. I took absolute pride in doing whatever job i had to the best standard so i could feel pride in what i did.

I understand you feeling this way, but I am not going to sell my happiness at a job I hate unless desperation takes over and I give in. I am a high school senior right now and I am completely fine having a small amount of money yet being relatively happy. I couldn't care less about not having a job. I might get one later since I like to eat, or I will figure something else out.

So i have to ask, has the work ethic died? Has the modern workforce given up on the idea of doing their best? I think most people try to coast in their jobs and then complain when they don't get anywhere. I'm very tired of these people. They do the absolute minimum, they relax and mess around. I know many people may think they're doing the best they can, but quite honestly this often isn't the truth.

I believe you are correct. Tons of people today both in "the real world" and at school are lazy complainers. It is just their selfishness talking though. They want pity and attention and help even if they don't need it and they also want comfort and leisure even if they don't need it. This is just another way to maximize their own greedy satisfaction.

I think this also is sent out at the jobless. I know some people are unlucky and get made redundant in this unfortunate time. However some choose to be jobless because they cannot be bothered to work. It seems we have an age of entitlement, people who think they can do nothing and get everything.

I don't really know that much about jobless people, but I am sure that some of them aren't as selfish or lazy as you think. I would love a second opinion on this though.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeeJay
I went above and beyond daily. What did it get me? Nothing. If someone's life isn't in your hands, or something of that nature, then I see nothing wrong with doing what you gotta do to get by.

Just curious, what do you do to get by?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I used to think that it was important to have a good work ethic because I felt a lot of pride for busting my butt to get the job done.

But working so many hours so hard made burned me out.

Then I realized that hard work is important but there's more to life than that.

Too many guys worked 80-100 hours a week and then keel over dead.

Too many idiots work 80 hours a week and then end up paying the extra they make in taxes. There's a George Jones song with the line in it that says 'You'll never get rich working overtime' and it's true.

The people that get ahead are the buttkissers and the connected.

Lets face it, most people are going to make enough to have a house and a car and a tv and the only real difference at the end of the day between someone that makes 30 K a year and 80 K a year is how nice their stuff is.

At the end of the day it's all just stuff. All that hard work can go away in the blink of an eye.

I think that happiness and balance are what matters more than work ethic.

Working smart is more important than working hard.

We're put on this rock for more reasons than to just work ourselves to death, even an atheist has to agree with that.

With Obama coming in to spread the wealth around, there's even less motivation to want to work harder. What's the point when he's just going to take it anyway? I'm not working for that guy, he's working for me.

I wish I had worked less harder when I was younger.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whiskeyswiller

Erm you don't get what i'm saying. A work ethic doesn't mean you kill yourself and work more hours than you are contracted you to do. It just means you make the most of your hours, you want to work and not sit on benefits.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I beleive that everyone who is working will ask this question at least once in their lives. Why is it that I work 16 hours a day and he works 16 hours a day, but I have nothing and he has everything? So think about that and you will find an easy answer. It has nothing to do with being lazy. And then you wonder why some don't wanna work anymore?

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Benarius]

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Benarius]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I have also done these jobs and yet i still worked my hardest, so my question is why you gave up.

However it seems even more common with the current generation, they are barely willing to work at McDonalds, instead wanting to sit on benefits all day .

A few reasons actually. 1- I noticed that when I wasn't at work, I was thinking about work. I treated my job as if it were my own business, and I was always trying to think of ways to make things better. This really began to annoy me. 2-I started realizing that I was doing much of the work, while others were raking up the benefits of my work. 3- When my son was born, I realized that there was nothing more important. I started thinking of the job less, and life outside of work more. 4-I was in a terrible car accident which changed my view of many things. I re prioritized. ~might I add that my employer at the time never bothered to check up on me. This was a job where I did go above and beyond.

Please note that I don't think that people should be okay with NOT doing their jobs. If you can't do the task assigned, without complaining, then get a new job. I also do NOT agree with people collecting benefits due to laziness. I just understand why people don't go out of their way, or go that extra mile. To most, it's just not worth it.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Well to me, a work ethic means that you work hard and you work long. You do the job to the best of your abilities and you work as many hours as you can. I think that's what it means to have a good work effort.

Doing a good job for 8 hours is nothing special because millions of people do that every day.

I don't think unemployment benefits are that much so your specific argument is pointless.

I was remarking on the broader issue of quality of life and work ethic motivation which you clearly didn't like. I still don't see me caring though.

And you weren't really specific in your post so my apologies for ruining your night

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiskeyswiller
Well to me, a work ethic means that you work hard and you work long. You do the job to the best of your abilities and you work as many hours as you can. I think that's what it means to have a good work effort.

Then we agree.

Doing a good job for 8 hours is nothing special because millions of people do that every day.

Again i agree, but many people don't even want this and that is my point.

I don't think unemployment benefits are that much so your specific argument is pointless.

In the UK the unemployment benefits are a large amount of money, so it does matter.

I was remarking on the broader issue of quality of life and work ethic motivation which you clearly didn't like. I still don't see me caring though.

And you weren't really specific in your post so my apologies for ruining your night

You havn't spoilt my night, but nice to see you're trying to attack me and not my arguement at the end of your post. Well done but you won't get away with that attempt. Quality of life can mean many things, however i am talking about the basic needs of people. Most kids growing up now just think they can do whatever they want an deserve money. Even if that's sitting on their large, overfed arses. That is my issue.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I don't know what some people are thinking when they ask questions like this. This is just what was discussed in another thread a "poor-bashing" thread. If you don't know simple things like this, take a walk outside and have a look. But leave your silver spoon at home, because there is a big line of people waiting for food being handed out just around the corner near you. Minus Flag and minus star.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Benarius

Erm i'm not rich, so what are you on about? I'm talking about those people whom dont want to work, never will work. Those people who maybe have a job and yet take no pride in what they do, do it as fast as possible with the minimum of effort.

For example i spent 3 hours repariing a server. I spent hours cleaning up the rats nest of cables because it made it a hell of a job sorting through them each time. Whereas many engineers would have left them alone and never bothered. I stood back admiring my handywork as the cables were all tired back, looking lovely.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

I don't care what you are, so what are you on about?
Just stop the "poor-bashing".

Peace

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Poor bashing? Are you kidding me? Did you even read the post? I am the absolute opposite of a poor basher so why don't you go and read up my thread history. I'm sorry but if you have a decent point bring it up, instead of attacking the messenger.

Oh and again you're falsly attacking the messenger as i'm not a poor basher.

EDIT

Should We Cap The Wealthy?

Hell check that thread to see if i'm a poor basher. You're obviously highly biased.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

Originally posted by cancerian42
Just curious, what do you do to get by?

Not sure if you're asking what my job is, or what I do at my job to 'get by', so I'll answer both.

Currently, I am an auditor / merchandiser. I am self employed, so I create my schedule every week. I do my job, which varies daily. I am not a slacker, but I don't do more than what I am paid for.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I'm talking about those people whom dont want to work, never will work. Those people who maybe have a job and yet take no pride in what they do, do it as fast as possible with the minimum of effort.

BY THIS YOU SURELY MEAN BOB THE MILLIONAIR? (THOUGH IT FITS THE MENTALITY TOO...LOL)

For example i spent 3 hours repariing a server. I spent hours cleaning up the rats nest of cables because it made it a hell of a job sorting through them each time. Whereas many engineers would have left them alone and never bothered. I stood back admiring my handywork as the cables were all tired back, looking lovely.

JOB WELL DONE, PROUD OF YOU

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
The general work ethic died the moment—sometime in the past century—when it became no longer possible to work for oneself and survive.

And it's easy to see why.

I'm proud to say that my work ethic is dead.

Workers are rubes who don't understand they are being unfairly exploited at the expense of their emotional, spiritual, and physical health.

Grow a garden (or hunt/scavenge for food), build a shelter, and just live life. Since this is impossible this day and age—all the land and by extension resources are already owned—then of COURSE you'll have a terrible work ethic, for nothing we do actually benefits ourselves, but others.

Wake me up from this nightmare when it's no illegal to build a shelter and hunt and grow my food, and I'll show you the best damn work ethic you ever have seen.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by k-string

Excellent post. You said everything that was running through my mind so fast I couldn't catch it.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TeeJay

really I was asking just what I asked, What do you do to get by? As in how do you survive. I was just wondering if you had a job at all. I'm glad that you get by.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by cancerian42

If you and k-string are both woman, I'll find us a peaceful spot. My work-ethics just doubled, I think....

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   

ha ha. Did you even read my other posts-I am 17.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join