It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Very strange (Perhaps prehistoric) beetle.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I know this isn't mythological or some groundbreaking conspiracy, but I'd couldn't find any information about this elsewhere.

I just found this groovy looking beetle hanging outside my window this afternoon here in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where I'm currently stationed for work. The first time I saw this thing was a month ago, inside my apartment's public pool, and now it's outside my 6-stories-up apartment window and I have no idea how it got there.

Here's what I learned from observing and playing around with it it.

- Most of the time it's completely motionless, and only moves every 10-15 minutes.
- It's antennas move when he walks.
- It's body, when motionless, WILL NOT MOVE no matter what you do to him. I tried poking it with a stick, burning it with a match for a brief second, and dripping water. It simply doesn't movie unless it wants to.
- The feet are yellow, and have some sticky substance that allow it to goad to walls or whatever surface.
- You can see some visible eyes, but they don't blink at all.
- It's nose kinda resembles an elephant
- It can breath in water, as it was floating motionless in the pool when I found it.
- No visible mouth, I think it feeds from that big nose.

Pictures in next post ---

Thanks a bunch, mates!

Edit*: Click the images for larget view.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by gunslingerjoe]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
That's a weevil of some sort. I'm not familiar enough with insects of SA to tell you what kind. Perhaps there is an entomologist around?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
bowl weevile they are everywhere in my state.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
That is a Augustus weevil
Googled it in images

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I have seen this guy before. It may be a member of the Rhinoceros Beetle family.

The person who said weevil was right. It seems to be a Palm Weevil.

[edit on 10-29-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I've also seen them and I'm on the other side of the atlantic. Em Portugal

They don't seem to be very common, I only see them rarely, on summer in the interior of Portugal.

I never was curious to look them upclose, I can see now that the antennas come out of the "nose"

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
They fly. Members of this beetle family live everywhere. There are 1000s of species. They have a habit of commtting mass suicide. I dunno why but I've seen this in Melbourne in Summer. All of a sudden they appear everywhere on a summers night and die.
If you catch a very fast exposure of one mid flight coming towards the camera it makes an excellent space ship. Heaps of photos on the web.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Yes its a weevil we have these in Canada too, though a differnet type. Ummmm... I dunno about you guys but I have never seen any insect, anywhere blink??? if the OP has seen an insect blink before, please elaborate??

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Lucky you got that type of Weevil, Im sure some sort of weevils can grow to being bigger than your hand.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Im getting tired of all the 'I havent seen this bug before - It *has* to be prehistoric/alien/all-new-species!' threads.. :S

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Least it isn't another vamp thread...

A weevil of some type for sure.

Want to find out more or the exact species of it? I suggest going to www.arachnoboards.com , good people there. very helpful

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Yeah i hate all the vampire and werewolf threads more than anything,it's actually nice to see something different up.

What a cute bug though

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I have a picture of one just like that, only smaller.
If I find it I'll post it, then you can see the lesser of two weevils.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

I chuckled....

And what a lovely weevil it is too! (a second line!)

new topics

top topics

join