It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would a McCain Win Be The Upset of The Century

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Many polls have been swinging Obama's way and giving him a large room for victory. Many are even starting to predict a landslide victory for Obama.

Dem strategists see landslide

source

Obama poised for landslide?

source

Odds of Obama Landslide Now Better than Odds of McCain Victory

source

However, McCain is not a person that one should count out. After all, he did win his party nomination against long odds , as Obama.

If McCain overcomes the polls and Obama's increasingly growing chance of a landslide victory, would you consider McCain's win to be the upset of the century?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Dewey vs. Truman wasnt more than 100 years ago so I guess this would be tied with that for upset of the century.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
McCain is a fighter, he has proven that time and time again. Whatever happens no one can take that away from him.
He is ten times the man Obama will ever be.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I believe that the persons that intend to vote for McCain and his party tend not to dress like hippies and gangsta punks and avoid polls. This makes the polls very unreliable and more than a few points in either direction and a wider margin of error, and it may as well get tossed.

Your talking about conservative who feel no need to do anything or say anything other than pull the handle. Polls are no good to monitor these types, only the vote will tell.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   
No. I would argue that many of the pollsters were using badly flawed methodology that greatly overestimated the Democratic advantage in this election cycle. I expect it to be no more than 3%; most of the pollsters are spotting Obama about 8 points and a few over 10. I don't see it happening.

This election will not be decided on hope, change, a need for proven leadership or any of that garbage. It will be decided on good, old fashioned turnout. If the Republicans can keep the affiliation margin close (it was 4% in 2000 and tied in 2004, for example), they could very easily pull off the upset, especially if Obama loses as many 'Reagan Democrats' as I think he will.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
the polls are flawed, this race is closer than it appears to be.

Obama is even spending money in California, why would he need to if it was not close?

-dnnx

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
If McCain wins it will be a shock only because the liberal media, which is most of the media on TV and in print, has spent so much time and money setting America's expectations that Obama will be our next president.

The headlines you will be seeing in this event, once Obama gives his concession speech will be:

"What happened?"
"How did this go wrong?"
"Americans buck change once again"
"Did racism kill the Obama presidency?"
"How did so many polls get it so wrong?"
"Hollywood elite furious over Obama loss"
"Jackson urges city-wide sit-in to protest election results"
"Sharpton collapses amid speech of apparent heart attack"
"Michelle Obama: Palin will be sorry"
"Reid admitted to hospital amid blood pressure concerns"
"Nancy Pelosi: Sheehan will be sorry"
"Stock markets surge on highest single-day gain"

[edit on 29-10-2008 by sos37]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Seems pretty interesting that almost everyone who posted seems to believe that the polls are wrong....

Where are the obama supporters who believe that the polls are correct and he will win by a landslide? Do Obama supporters believe it would be the upset of the Century if Obama loses?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The polls were pretty accurate in 04, but in the end somewhat wrong.

This election season has brought several new factors such as race and age. While not new entirely, they are new in terms of popularity.

I have a feeling the polls are absolutely wrong, not in favor of mccain or obama, but just plain wrong.

The polls are so outta whack that it really does make me re-consider a statement I made not long ago about pollsters getting paid off to favor one candidate or the other.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by deathhasnosound

Apparently his 95% Bush, yet he carries this maverick sign all over.

His given his soul to the neocons. But thats all fine and dandy, gotta stand strong behind your candidate. This race isnt over.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Probably. Everyone was big on the super bowl this year because they were so sure the team with the undefeated season would win. They lost which pretty much made their undefeated season useless, and was a huge upset. I think the same could very well happen with Obama. He has come so far, won so many victories, but only one really counts and there is still room for him to lose.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I will tell you right now that if the NWO is real McCain is going to win! Just because all the right wing people are saying that on Nov 5 they are going to cause civil unrest where ever they are and those that can are going to march on washington and stay in place till they get what they want.'
Can you think of a more perfect scene for them to push for an absolute take over of any freedoms we still have left?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If Obama loses, it’s going to be the BIGGEST marketing FLOP in history!

...In my opinion Obama supporters would be very upset, some if not most crying voter fraud.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I think this race is closer than any media outlet wants to admit. I question the polls this year, especially because, every single year (yes I am a registered voter) I am called by a pollster, even when it is just our state issues on the ballot.

This year, not one call.

Number hasn't changed, voter registration hasn't changed, so..while I enjoy not getting called in the middle of dinner... it's still strange.

Next Tuesday night is gonna be a nail biter, at least that is what I think

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by undinemyth

If Obama loses, it’s going to be the BIGGEST marketing FLOP in history!

I have never thought of it like that.

With all the money he has accumulated and used on this campaign, what you say makes perfect sense.

top topics

join