It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Teen Gets 18 Months for Grandma's Gangsta Rap Video

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Florida Teen Gets 18 Months for Grandma's Gangsta Rap Video

www.foxnews.com

WEST PALM BEACH, Florida — A Florida teenager has been sentenced to 18 months in juvenile detention for coaxing his senile grandmother into holding a gun and threatening to shoot "all the pigs" in a homemade "gangsta rap" video.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
What a stupid crime to commit. Poor old senile lady, probably didn't even know what she was doing. Tsssk Tssk.

Do you think the system is being too harsh? I don't, especially after reading his other charge, although Iam not sure if he got 18 months just for this, or if the other charge was combined.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ETA: He was charged in April for this crime, and others. I didn't know that when created this thread. He was sentenced today. Just to clearify.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Couple of thoughts...

1. Why is an 18 year old being sent to juvy? He's an adult now.

2. The sentence, if it is only for the granny thing, is ridiculously over the top. I'd hardly call that elder abuse. Disrespectfull? Absolutely, but that isn't a crime last I checked.

3. Why in the blue hell were the cops able to confiscate a video tape found during a "routine" traffic stop? Vehicles shouldn't be searched and possessions shouldn't be siezed during "routine" stops... the instant the legal requirement of probable cause is met, the stop ceases being considered "routine" and becomes something else entirely. I'm amazed the ACLU didn't get involved in this and claim the kid's 4th amendment rights were violated. Which, unless there's a lot more to this story, they clearly were.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

That is one hell of a question, I can't believe I missed that one. Why is an 18 yr old going to juvy for 18 months? I think his time as a juvenile has expired in the eyes of the law.

I also agree that if the charges where not combined, he shouldn't get 18 months for that. Manipulating his grandma is wrong, but I think there are bigger things to worry about, and lock people up for. Shooting into a building however, I believe the sentence seems just fine.

As far as the video tape, who knows why they confiscated it. The last time I checked, they can't just take whatever they want. But, maybe Iam wrong. Maybe it was a routine traffic stop, that turned into something else?

Great points. Starred.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
How is this a crime? There are plenty of "Soulja boy grandma" videos on Youtube and it's never been an issue... and they're hilarious.

Unless he was holding a gun to his grandma's head forcing her to do it, I don't see what is wrong with this.

Alfinez was arrested in April after authorities seized the tape during a routine traffic stop.

If anything sounds like a crime to me, it's THAT. How are authorities allowed to seize and watch a videotape in your car without just cause during a "routine traffic stop"????

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
How is this a crime? There are plenty of "Soulja boy grandma" videos on Youtube and it's never been an issue... and they're hilarious.

Unless he was holding a gun to his grandma's head forcing her to do it, I don't see what is wrong with this.

Alfinez was arrested in April after authorities seized the tape during a routine traffic stop.

If anything sounds like a crime to me, it's THAT. How are authorities allowed to seize and watch a videotape in your car without just cause during a "routine traffic stop"????

I don't see it as a crime, a bit tasteless, but not a crime. Apparently you can get arrested for elderly abuse. I never heard of that one. But I think in the video, it shows him shooting out of a car into a building, I believe that is why any kind of charges stuck.

As far as the routine traffic stop, taking a video tape out of someones car for speeding is just wrong. Maybe they seized his car for some reason, and took the video tape out of it. Even so, I think its a bit strange for them to go through the vehicle and take a tape, and watch it. What would make them so suspicious of a tape to begin with? It could have been a video about anything.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will be before we see "The Twin Rev's" show up with lawyers to appeal this. Confiscating a video sounds a bit over the top. I would believe that they would need more than probable cause during a traffic stop. The only thing I can think of is that these cops thought maybe these folks had video taped some crime they may have commited and the cops thought they had found the mother load! Still, unless they where stopped for a specific charge, I fail to see the ability to even look at the tape, let alone confiscate it! I'm wondering if we are not being given the whole story. I guess more will come out if someone in the 'victims are us' group shows up and thinks they can get some mileage out of it!

Zindo

[edit on 10/29/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Possible ways to get the video tape:

1.) It was in plain view. The officer asked to see it. The guy gave it to the cop. (It is not considered a search if it is in plain view)

2.) The cop thought something suspicious was going on. Asked to search the vehicle, found the tape.

3.) The man was arrested for something else entirely. The video was found while searching the car. The lesser charges were dropped, and therefore not reported.

4.) The man told the cop to check out the funny video.

There could be more scenarios, but my head hurts right now. Just realize that every cop and everything cops do is not nefarious.

[edit on 29/10/2008 by xxpigxx]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Im not gonna lie, when I read this story yesterday on another news site I about laughed myself to the ground.

Sorry, yes I have a sick sense of humor, but come on. That is pretty darn funny.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Im not gonna lie, when I read this story yesterday on another news site I about laughed myself to the ground.

Sorry, yes I have a sick sense of humor, but come on. That is pretty darn funny.

I'm not mad at you. I laughed too, I thought the pic of grams in the ski mask and gun were funny. I didn't see the vid. I thought I was the only sick one.

Nevertheless, I thought the case was interesting.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

Set trippin'

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Back at ya homie.

LMAO!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I apologize but I guess this happened awhile ago, in April. He was just recently sentenced.

I guess this news isn't really Breaking.

Anyways, he was originally charged with a few crimes.

From Fox News In April

Michael Alfinez was arrested Monday and charged with abusing an elderly person, discharging a firearm in public and improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon. Alfinez also appears on the video firing a gun from a moving vehicle, officials said.

That also explains why he was tried as a juvenile. But I would still think that if he was over 17, then he would still go to prison.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
This is the reason he is serving time.

Alfinez also pleaded guilty to charges of firing out of a moving vehicle and into a building.

There must be more to this story. Perhaps they found the gun during the stop. He did take a deal so there may have been more serious charges.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Incitatus]

top topics

join