It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sarah Palin effigy hung in Hollywood.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm just calling it like I see it, and the fact is that if this was a mock Barack Obama, the people that did it would already be being sued or would already be in jail.

"WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) ― The Secret Service says it has visited a West Hollywood home where a mannequin of GOP vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin hangs from a noose.

Deputy Special Agent in Charge Wayne Williams says so far it seems to be a harmless -- though unusual display.

Williams told The Associated Press they are not treating it as a threat.

But local officials aren't quite as accepting of the display, which also features Palin's running mate John McCain surrounded by flames coming out of the bungalow's chimney.

West Hollywood Mayor Jeffrey Prang has urged resident Chad Morrisette to remove the mannequins, and Los Angeles County Supervisor Mike Antonovich is calling for an investigation into whether the effigy constitutes a hate crime."

Source cbs2.com...

Mod Note: Using External Quote Tags

[edit on 30-10-2008 by NGC2736]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pitrelli
I'm just calling it like I see it, and the fact is that if this was a mock Barack Obama, the people that did it would already be being sued or would already be in jail.

Racist Anti-Obama Display Hung From Tree in Fairfield
Effigy of Barack Obama hung from tree at George Fox University in Newberg, Ore.

Neither of those people are in jail or being sued that I know of.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Pitrelli

Hate crimes (also known as bias motivated crimes) occur when a perpetrator targets a victim because of his or her membership in a certain social group, usually defined by racial group, religion, sexual orientation, disability, ethnicity, nationality, age, gender, gender identity, or political affiliation.[1] Hate crime can take many forms. Incidents may involve physical assault, damage to property, bullying, harassment, verbal abuse or insults, or offensive graffiti or letters.

I agree that if this were Obama, it would be interpreted as a hate crime.

In his case, I doubt the intent was sexist or racist, but his actions do constitute graffiti and it could be argued that they incite violence. Notice "political affiliation" is listed under hate crimes as is religion.

Back to Obama, we have never had a prominent minority figure in public office to test the interpretation of hate crime laws. It will be interesting, should Obama take office, how hate crime rulings are differentiated from political protest.

I believe there will be no easy answers and a lot of grey area.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't like how this was determined to be covered under the free speech clause...

I think this is just sick. I hope both campaigns come out with a strong message about how wrong this is here in the next day or so.

I think hanging anyone in effigy should be considered a thread of violence, or a hate crime... I dislike strongly that they are considering this "free speech"...

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

I don't think it looks anything like her to be honest, I more like a manequin in a red coat, glasses an a wig. The

If a hippedy hoppedy far out artist displayed this in some fancy store window, it wouldn't cause too much fuss, if anything it would probably be a bit of a money spinner.

What's more offencive, a puppet vice president on corporate strings or a dummy vice president on a civilian rope ?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I saw an interview with the people who put it up.
They consider it 'art' and they consider themselves artists.

I consider them idiots.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
In order to be considered a hate crime, it would have to be proven that they did this because of Sarah's gender/race.

Covered under free speech? Yes.

You know, that's the thorns on the rose of free speech - sometimes we have to listen to and see things we don't agree with or like. Thankfully, free speech also covers my right to call the people who did this a bunch of dumba$$es and move on.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Actually, I thought religion and political affiliation counted too...

I still think acts like this should not be covered under free speech...

You don't have to agree
its nothing but 100% opinion from emotion, and I can't rationally argue my position on this..

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What these dummies (pardon the pun) neglect to realize is that everytime Sarah is attacked it makes her more of a victim and her troops just circle the wagons tighter and her numbers of admirers grow.
Women don't like other women being attacked like that, even women who oppose her.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A noose with no dummy attached was put on a tree and Immediately it is Racism. Now we put a white woman running for VP in a noose and it is art. I love the double standard God Bless this country.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Doom and Gloom]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Symer

The guy in the first link is an idiot. I can't believe that he actually said what he said. I feel sorry for people like this.

The second hints at racial undertones. This is all retarded anyway. I cannot wait for the elections to be over with, hopefully some of this nonsense will go away and I can read more about alien abductions.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

If I had Obama hanging from a noose in my front yard; Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be marching in my front yard tomorrow. Not only that but my local down town area would be on fire. I don't think ANYONE would consider that display to be art.

These people are nut jobs! IMHO

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by undinemyth

If I had Obama hanging from a noose in my front yard; Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would be marching in my front yard tomorrow. Not only that but my local down town area would be on fire. I don't think ANYONE would consider that display to be art.

These people are nut jobs! IMHO

Maybe what white people need is some activist like Jese Jackson and Sharpton.
But they would probably be labeled 'racist nazis, skinheads" nevermind.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I posted this yesterday but the thread was deleted?

Not sure what i did wrong in the posting.

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I said flat out that if this was an Obama dummy they would have already been arrested. I said that in the first post. Well, here ya go:

www.cnn.com...

new topics

top topics

join