It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you think that in the west we could one day be charged with sedition, by our leaders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I just saw a video on the news about sedition in malaysia, and was wondering could that happen here. Yesterday a board that i was on for 7 years banned me just for telling the truth of what happened in my life. I am not sure whether the forum mods where scared of police or government attention, or they are just scared of the details i was going into.

Sedition

Because sedition is typically considered a subversive act, the overt acts that may be prosecutable under sedition laws vary from one legal code to another. Where those legal codes have a traceable history, there is also a record of the change of definition for what constituted sedition at certain points in history. This overview has served to develop a sociological definition of sedition as well, within study of persecution.

I thought living in the west we would have some freedoms, to at least voice what truefully happened in my life, but i was obviously wrong there. It seems it does not matter, if something trueful is happening to you, you just cannot say it to anyone else.

I was going into details, because i do not want people to fall into the situation that i got myself into, in my life.

So do you think, that western governments bother with terms like sedition, and do you think ever in the future, it may actually become a crime to do it.

Or do you think they will sensor the web first, and just make sure we can never talk about government techniques, and powers to destroy lifes?

Thoughts....

[edit on 10/29/2008 by andy1033]

[edit on 10/29/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I think you're making a long leap to go from "I got banned from a message board" to a discussion of sedition, and any mention of "the right to free speech" in connection with an internet board is a waste of breath. Internet boards are private property, controlled by administrators / moderators. You (or I, or anyone else) have only the rights granted by them. There is no 'due process' and no Constitution here.

As far as actual sedition, you need to understand what it isn't, as much as what it is. It's not sedition to express an opinion along the lines of "I don't think President Bush should have ever been elected!" or "President Bush should be impeached", or "Barack Obama would be the worst thing that ever happened to the Oval Office!". Those are political speech, but they aren't sedition, since they don't advocate or advance the overthrow of the actual government. When you start discussing shooting the President, or blowing up the Capitol during a Congressional session, you're getting into sedition...the overthrow or destruction of the actual government, rather than a change in party or personnel.

join