It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationism's Legacy: Anti-intellectualism

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

Believing the Bible without Jesus would be a hopeless existence.
I mean, you have all the penalties and laws stacked against you with no Advocate.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I would have to agree that alot of creationists wish to deface the scientific community and have gone along way in doing so. However you neglect to mention the dogmatic views of science. To overturn any long standing beliefe is incredibly hard wether it be religious or scientific both sides are equally guilty in their disdain for ano another.

It seems to me however that everytime science believes it has explained away god it creates a new paradigm for squeezing god back into the picture. The further we delve into the curiosities of particle physics the more it looks like the scientits and theologans may yet find common ground.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

i dont see how?

jesus doesnt have to be devine to deliver a great message of compassion for humanity

ghandi wasnt divine

Martin luther king wasnt either

Buddha wasnt devine (well not until he ascended)

all considered great messengers of compassion and understanding for humanity

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
Believing the Bible without Jesus would be a hopeless existence.
I mean, you have all the penalties and laws stacked against you with no Advocate.

So I guess believing in Jesus and not The Bible would be like having an Advocate and none of the penalties and laws against you

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Great, SMOOTH words don't transform your soul or get you favor with God.

Sin brings the penalty of separation from God and death.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by constantwonder
It seems to me however that everytime science believes it has explained away god it creates a new paradigm for squeezing god back into the picture. The further we delve into the curiosities of particle physics the more it looks like the scientits and theologans may yet find common ground.

Science doesn't try to explain away God, never has, never will. God is a supernatural entity but science can on examine natural phenomena. Science says nothing of God. Perhaps you haven't heard of Theistic Evolution.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

science has never explained away god

its impossible to do, and its not really somthing science cares about

as for difficulty yes it can be difficult to over turn long held scientific beliefs but it happens, you gather the evidence then let evidence speak for its self thats how the theories your overturning got to be long held in the first place. the better your evidence the faster and easier it becomes

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

reply to post by noobfun

Great, SMOOTH words don't transform your soul or get you favor with God.

Sin brings the penalty of separation from God and death.

Ahhh so the homosexuals are going to hell or rotting eternally according to you. I have been waiting for you to clarify that. Anyways, not to get off topic

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I've read a lot of your post and for the most part I decided not to respond to your arrogance but now I have to say:

Oh, wahhh. Somebody call Clearskies a Waamulance.

Some people like to have a personal relationship with God with no go between, no trinity cos it's just pointless. Many christians think that way. Get over it.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I nominate ClearSkies posts as direct evidence of the OP. Instead of actually arguing for/or against their point, they label ALL non-Christians hopeless and when someone points out other great "humanists" they are subjected to thinly vailed references that they will find an imaginary damnation.

Also agree on how hard it is to change accepted scientific reasoning . . . Fortunately, sound evidence and irrefutable data break down stubborness . . . not so, with religious dogma.

[edit on 10/29/08 by solomons path]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

So I guess believing in Jesus and not The Bible would be like having an Advocate and none of the penalties and laws against you

No, if you have the law in your conscience, which every man and woman does.
But, MANY Christians died without ever reading the Bible. As in Midieval times, when it was chained to the Roman catholic pulpit and ILLEGAL for laymen.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

jesus said beleive in god only he is holy

your priest tells you belief in god is the way to salvation

wheres the differance?

it doesnt matter if jesus is the divine man/god a prophet sent by god or just a very good teacher it all boils down to the same

you would have been in real trouble in 33ad-300(and somthing ish)ad when the whole (man/god)/god/man debate was going on

originally for 1/2 of christianity jesus was nothing more then a spirit entity and not a corporial bieng that could have been nailed to a cross

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by solomons path
I nominate ClearSkies posts as direct evidence of the OP.

I second the movement.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Sexuality without restraints will get you lots of problems NO MATTER WHAT your choice.

A Christian has to give up stuff to have Jesus close to them.
Not so with many of the evolutionists, whose affairs and rollicking were legendary.
Apologetics Press

SEXUAL DEVIANCE AND PERVERSION
Not only does atheistic evolution devalue human life, it also taints many of the most important areas of human interaction. Sexuality is one area of human behavior that has been completely disrupted by the erroneous concepts of evolution and atheism. In a work he titled Ends and Means, atheist Aldous Huxley wrote:

I had motives for not wanting the world to have meaning; consequently, assumed it had none, and was able without any difficulty to find reasons for this assumption.... For myself, as no doubt for most of my contemporaries, the philosophy of meaninglessness was essentially an instrument of liberation. The liberation we desired was simultaneously liberation from a certain political and economic system and liberation from a certain system of morality. We objected to the morality because it interfered with our sexual freedom (1937, pp. 270, 273, emp. added).

[edit on 29-10-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

so do fetuses go to hell? they never got the chance to read the bible or hear about jesus

how about babies or young children to young to know and understand?

how about people that could never hear about jesus becasue of where they live or other beleif systems not allowing them to hear?

or do they all get a get out of jail free card?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

I'll take this opportunity to point out that most evolutionists are christians and most christians are evolutionists.

link   

Originally posted by redled
It's all bent. The Catholic Church is gay. If if not gay, a bunch of paedophiles. The two groups overlap incidentally.

Umm, no they are not. You can find pedophiles in every denomination. You can also find homosexuals in every denomination. Also, the two groups do not overlap, the psychological makeup of a pedophile is not the same as a homosexual, and most pedophiles molest children of the opposite sex. Clearly you have no understanding of either group, or Catholics for that matter.

The Catholic church does not want us to think for ourselves, the Catholic Church wants control over what we can debate and maybe more critically, how. Of course the 'creationist' lobby do not respect the creation of the big bang, they do not want us understanding it, rather follow them when they get their big willies into little girls and boys.

Wrong again. The Catholic Church actually supports evolution and encourages free thought, unlike most of 'fringe' Christianity. Again, clearly you have no understanding of the Catholic Church.

link   

Not so with many of the evolutionists, whose affairs and rollicking were legendary.

*starts making a "hi im an evolutionist my names Richard" badge for the next time i leave the house

fingers crossed everyone

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf

Science doesn't try to explain away God, never has, never will. God is a supernatural entity but science can on examine natural phenomena. Science says nothing of God. Perhaps you haven't heard of Theistic Evolution.

Science doesnt try to explain away god, are you serious..... do you follow physics or biology or mathematics? These people believe that their doesnt need to be a god that everything just sprang up by sheer mathematical chance....

Militant atheism is on the rise. Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, and Christopher Hitchens have dominated bestseller lists with books denigrating religious belief as dangerous foolishness. And these authors are merely the leading edge of a far larger movement–one that now includes much of the scientific community.

bhascience.blogspot.com...

Either Jesus had a father or he didn't. The question is a scientific one, and scientific evidence, if any were available, would be used to settle it. The same is true of any miracle — and the deliberate and intentional creation of the universe would have to have been the mother and father of all miracles. Either it happened or it didn't. It is a fact, one way or the other, and in our state of uncertainty we can put a probability on it — an estimate that may change as more information comes in. Humanity's best estimate of the probability of divine creation dropped steeply in 1859 when The Origin of Species was published, and it has declined steadily during the subsequent decades, as evolution consolidated itself from plausible theory in the nineteenth century to established fact today.

www.edge.org...

After evaluating all the scientific evidence—the studies done by reputable institutions on the power of prayer; the writings of philosophers who have puzzled over the problem of God and of good and evil; the efforts of biblical scholars to prove the accuracy of holy scriptures; and the work of biologists, geologists, and astronomers looking for clues to a creator on Earth and in the cosmos—Stenger concludes that beyond a reasonable doubt the universe and life appear exactly as we might expect if there were no God. He convincingly shows that not only is there no evidence for the existence of God, but scientific observations actually point to his nonexistence.

www.eurekalert.org...

I could do this all day long. Science is just as biased as religion. And yet we may find they actually have more in common that meets the "naked" eye.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
I'll take this opportunity to point out that most evolutionists are christians and most christians are evolutionists.

everyone knows they arnt a True Christian™

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join