It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationism's Legacy: Anti-intellectualism

page: 26
<< 23  24  25   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

but dont forget the pressure made noah a giant

so all he had to do was breath out at the same time as the depresurisation and all was fine he just shrank back down to man size .. no really its true hovind drew a picture to prove it and everything

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Since creationism has become anti-intellectual then I suppose it would mean that calling someone a irrational rationalist would also count as creationism, seems a bit of a stretch to imply that criticism of the limits of science or government mandated propaganda schooling would be the same thing as creationism, as a agnostic i find science as anti-intellectual as some of the most ardent creationists at times and as intolerant as a group of racists at a black power rally. In other words both ways of understanding appear only as models of reality and nothing more, where you lose me science freaks are when you place Ideas or models or theories higher than your own nervous systems, as if they are eternal truths. Gravity tends to work right now, but might not do so at some point in the future, in other words nothing tends to be absolute but relative, and most darwinists hate that fact as well as creationists. They both tend to ignore the contradictory evidence and shove their own stories down everyones' throats. Now I tend to agree that evolution appears more plausible to me, but that would be like saying nothing about 75% of the rest of reality that we don't currently have answers for, so much goes unexplained and also unexamined in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by bubbabuddha

Since creationism has become anti-intellectual then I suppose it would mean that calling someone a irrational rationalist would also count as creationism, seems a bit of a stretch to imply that criticism of the limits of science or government mandated propaganda schooling would be the same thing as creationism

You have an obscure and misleading perspective of things.

Creationism is not the same thing as criticism of science, if it were, anti-intellectualism wouldn't apply. But because the worst of creationists would have science binned for a hypothesis that has no evidence or merit - that is by it's definition, anti-intellectualism.

Creationists have a forum for creation education[indoctrination] at church, science and intellectualisms forum is in schools where ration thinking and facts deserve to reign supreme.

[edit on 11/5/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

BWAHAHAHAHAH! HAHAH!

I almost fell out of my chair, 'nuf said.

Hahaha

haha...

[edit on 11/5/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by bubbabuddha

In other words both ways of understanding appear only as models of reality and nothing more, where you lose me science freaks are when you place Ideas or models or theories higher than your own nervous systems, as if they are eternal truths.
how do you mean held higher then our nervous system? i fail to see the comparison or relvance of the nervous system here .... umm little more info please

Gravity tends to work right now, but might not do so at some point in the future, in other words nothing tends to be absolute but relative, and most darwinists hate that fact as well as creationists.
there hasnt been any such thing as a Darwinist for about 120 years so thier opinions are no longer very valid

so you dont like the semi-permanent nature of science and neither do creationists, well that doesnt make it less correct, change and advancement has given us everything we have today, advancment of science has shown overwhelmingly that evolution is a reality we cannot deny unless through sheer ignorance and force of will

id think if the Darwinists came back to life they would approve especially as Darwin himself believed in the privisionality of science. it changes its the best truth we have now

They both tend to ignore the contradictory evidence and shove their own stories down everyones' throats.
you do realise science is one big argument/debate. science doesnt allow you to ignore contradictory evidence becasue some other scientist is gona point and laugh and crate a theory that works including the contradictory evidence and then your screwed

please show me a scientist demanding we teach science in church

please show me a sceintist how has amased a large following and is teaching them religeon is all a lie by simply making stuff up to disprove it

Now I tend to agree that evolution appears more plausible to me, but that would be like saying nothing about 75% of the rest of reality that we don't currently have answers for, so much goes unexplained and also unexamined in my opinion.
then stick around it will get there eventually when it has time, or better yet join in and explore those possabilities your self, we may not hold all the answers but we are getting there slowly

[edit on 5/11/08 by noobfun]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Off topic, but I got a thread up on a christian myth if you wanna take part.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

^_^ could be fun

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Thought I'd plug my other thread at this point to try and get it going.

Pretend to be a Time Traveller Day!!

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
hahahaha your make some odd threads ya know

sorry gotta say it ^_^

think you can get it to catch on like talk like a pirate day?

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Man, I hope not. It wouldn't work if it were that well known.

If it gets popular of ATS would be good but...

Odd threads? Odd guy-cyborg lost in the past with broken programming.

[edit on 11/8/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
Odd guy

hey all i said was you make odd threadds i never once even came close to declaring i wasnt odd myself ^_^

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Indeed. Anyway get on the time traveller day thread, star flag and post plz. I wanna get it bumped up.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

starred flagged and random titor related comments and link posted

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Very impressive,and true.

Even the Vatican says intelligent design isn't a science.
Some officials have defended evolution against what they call 'useless' creationism.

Popes going back to the mid-20th century have "recognized the scientific value of the theory of biological evolution," Gennaro Auletta, who teaches philosophy of science at the Gregorian, told reporters. "Greater understanding and assimilation of such subject matter by clergy and faithful has been hoped for."

Monsignor Gianfranco Ravasi told reporters that: "One thing is sure. Evolution is not incompatible with faith."

"Creationism from a strictly theological view makes sense, but when it is used in scientific fields it becomes useless," Ravasi said.

Quoting the late Pope John Paul II, Ravasi said that "evolution can no longer be considered a hypothesis."

Pope Benedict XVI warned last week against fundamentalists' literal interpretations of the Bible.

www.foxnews.com...

It seems that while the Catholic faith is waking up to the importance of science,the Evangelist and their ilk are going the other way.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll
It seems that while the Catholic faith is waking up to the importance of science,the Evangelist and their ilk are going the other way.

Well there isn't much incentive for them to is there? Considering the lies and deceit they spin in the sight of evolution and science, I find it difficult to believe that people like Ken Ham and Hovind are in it for the religion side of things, -- no. But I tell you there is a money incentive, creationism is their career.

posted on Nov, 8 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll

i think the catholics see it as a been there done that brought the tee-shirt idea

it was fun the first time but its kinda dull now no real etertainment value

posted on Mar, 31 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Science saves lives. It gives us medicines and machines and might allow humans to outlive our home planet as a species. It solves problems.

Religion kills. It starts wars and fights all that science gives us.
Would you rather believe your soul is safe after death, or still be alive?

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25   >>

join