It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calif. Newlywed Killed by Police in Case of Mistaken Identity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Could have been a doubletap or just a gut reaction. Who knows?

I always doubletapped my pistol.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Ah. I see, I have never heard of the phrase double tap, and I had to look it up. I didn't know cops used that technique.
Starred.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by schism85]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Oregon Native Abused By Salem Cops says:

The cop is going to lie and say he gave lawful orders that were disobeyed. Then he is going to say that this guy reached in his pocket. It happens all the time. Usually the person killed is the suspect, so the cop gets off. Maybe one of his cop-buddies will say that he witnessed the whole thing and back up the cop's story. Thin Blue Line? Try THICK blue line. Maybe the cop will say he thought he had his taser? This was used by an Oregon cop and he got off saying he never meant to shoot...

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
You know if a citizen did it they would be in jail right now charged with lord knows what.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   
all I can say, is if you're going to shoot someone, you'd better at least have grounds to arrest them before doing so.

This innocent man was shot and killed because the officer mistook him for one of the burglary suspects. Then the burglary suspects were released? Holy crap.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

As to cuffing the individual after he has been shot. That is SOP taught to every cop in every academy. Just because he hapens to be hurt does not mean to ignore him. It has happened in the past that a suspect that had been shot and was unconsious woke up, picked up the dropped weapon that the cop had ignored and shot the cop. It may sound harse but the reason is sound.

Zindo

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Woops sorry that was for Frogs. Oh and the phrase' playing dead' comes to mind. If you've ever hunted dangerous game you know what that means. It works for humans also!!!

Zindo

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

No problem Zindo. Harsh - and I admit I can see the logic behind it. I realize there is a line to walk there between officer saftey and person injured. Doesn't mean I always agree with the cuff first being applied in ever instance.

As for shooting twice. Hard to say. It could have been reaction, maybe training, maybe based on the officer's pistol caliber. I'm dating myself - but patrol officers were just getting 9mm's when I worked at the jail. I remember them telling me they were being advised to doubletap when using that caliber.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

I am an NRA instructor. In every class for law enforcement as well as self defense the 'double tap' is the norm. Some even teach a 'triple tap'! I'm old school and belive one well placed round, well aimed, should be sufficient!

Zindo

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Yeah . .. we were taught to cuff them . . . our department policy would not allow it, though.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

Thanks Zindo, but I think you missed my point. My point is that the officer shot who he thought was one of the burglary suspects. then the real burglary suspects were merely interviewed then released. Not even arrested. So, an innocent man was shot and killed because an officer thought he was one of the suspects, that apparently couldn't even be arrested.

"I thought he was one of the burglars, so I shot him".

"I know these four are the burglars I was looking for, so I interviewed them and let them go".

How must the family feel, knowing this man was killed because the cops thought he was part of the suspect group, and the real suspects were not even arrested?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

No, I understand. I was just commenting on a few specifics others had brought up! These officers where definately wrong in their actions and their reasoning! No argument there!
Zindo

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by schism85

my heart goes out to the bride and mommy to be. i went to school with her and i have to say seeing her on t.v crying broke my heart. and what pisses me off the most is the cop takes a life of someone that was protecting his family and he gets paid leave, thats a vacation if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
u can make all the justafication u want a innocent man who had nothing to do with the situation is dead he aint coming back to his family or wife the officer is wrong on all accounts no way around it none. he should get life without parole. i think though he will get off they always do its a matter of time till civilians shot back but wait we'll go to jail i hope ur brother in blue rots for the rest of his life

reply to post by xxpigxx

[edit on 30-10-2008 by twistingtree]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't know about you, but every cop that I have ever known including my father was trained to identify themselves before they shoot. This cop clearly failed to properly ID himself or else the law abiding citizen would have put down his deadly broom.

Failure to call for backup, failure to ID, bad shoot, fatal shoot, handcuffed innocent man bleeding out on the front lawn...this must be the most incompetent cop ever.

And he should fry. Or better yet, cuff him and shoot him so that he can bleed out.

An eye for an eye. Yes there may be some blindness, but pretty soon, everyone learns that there are consequences for actions. It's like the idea of an armed society is a polite society. Yes some people may die at first, but the rest of everyone learns quick when the bodies hit the floor.

Fry this cop so that the rest don't get away with the same thing.

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
If you ask me, when suspects run to other peoples properties, especially gardens/homes... you dont follow them with a gun, ready to blast! People live there! Innocent humans.. old and young.

You should call backup, or let them go. You cant run after them in the dark when you're in a maze of fences and bushes. If the cop has a kill or be killed mentality he definitly should stay away from those places.

He should acctually expect to meet those who live there, not just because they might come to see what the noise is, but because they live there (!!), and might be outside!

Ah well, thats to expect in a gun-mad-crazy country... somebody's gonna use them.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

>'Easy to say when you're not there.'

Sorry guy, that's straight off of the top disinfo, not to mention the party line.

IF your training was REALLY any good, you would NOT have that out of control feeling. You would be extremely focused and CLEAR headed.

I'm glad with your inadequate training, you didn't shoot your comrade in arms.

I like your scenario.

Once again with ADEQUATE training no one is going to walk out of the shadows at you.

It would take about three days training (actualy nights
) to get you over this fear of the dark.

It is what it is... And these guys did exactly what they are trained to do. And that is to shoot first and ask questions later.

They're underpaid, a good percentage your basic thug personality, etc. etc. Naturally, my apologies to the good cops out there!

Instead of (a bunch of oh so predictable
) posturing, why don't you spill to us your departments defacto standards... It (always) comes down from their chief.

In my locale we've got a lot of police departments. We've got the Washington State troopers, simply the best, we've got the King County sheriffs, mostly great guys doing a tough job, then two REALLY bad organizations Seattle police, it's messed up that they have SO MANY bad apples and then the worst of the bunch Black Diamond police department... they are nothing more than highwayman of old. Mostly a bunch of overamped terriers that couldn't make it in a real organization.

So what kind of department were you in?

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
This reminds me of things that happened in oregon when I lived there.

One instance for example, a mother called the police because her 14 year old son was threating to kill himself. He had a common knife.

So what do the police do? Arrive, and shoot the boy, killing him instantly.

The mother was trying to SAVE her sons life, not get him killed.

There were many instances like that in portland, oregon. The police are very corrupt there. It's a known fact when you live there.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Double post!

[edit on 2-11-2008 by golemina]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join