It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Don't Understand This System

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Perhaps I'm being nieve but I really wonder if there is something bigger going on here. Why is gold our universal currency? Are we really that animalistic that shiny objects make us kill people over it? Why do we need money? I feel like these things are useless possessions. How have we been programmed to fight and kill over these things?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Dude, I love Gold!! I have spent so much time and effort digging for it. I have not found much. Less than half an ounce total for my whole life. If I hit the lottery, I would probably spend all my money looking for gold. It is like being in love with a woman that you know you can never have.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticalSteve

Gold is not our universal currency. There is no universal currency.

Things rise in value when the demand for them exceeds the supply. Which means there aren't enough of them to go round. The less there is to go round the more people want it. Some people want it so badly they grab and beat and kill for it.

How is it you don't understand this? It's elementary. Imagine you and a stranger lost in the desert with a jerrycan of water between you. You mean you wouldn't fight over the last drop? You'd let the other guy have it and die of thirst yourself?

If you're asking why people fight over gold, it's because they believe gold has value, and there isn't very much gold about the place. But gold has special value only as long as people believe it does.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

We're talking about gold, not water. You don't need it to survive.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
It isn't a difficult thing to think about. Gold is valuable, it always has been. The Egyptian kings built their deathbed in it. There isn't much of it, and what there is, is difficult to find/harvest. Gold holds a special value in our hearts. It is important and useful in electronic implications. It's value is substantial in comparison to paper/coin currency that our societies deem as valuable. Gold can only be created by forces we cannot hold, it's made in the process of a supernova believe it or not, along with other heavy elements.

Have you ever felt a gold nugget, or coin? There is nothing else like it. That is why gold is sought and cherished.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
our civilization is a mess

we place material possession above health of the planet

we blindly give unlimited power to police and government, to protect and manage us because we are complacent. "someone can do it", "they are looking after us"....really?

aboriginal people had/have it right. live in small communities. respect nature and the earth.

our civilization kills everything. the family unit, the planet and ourselves.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

That's what I'm saying. We've created such regimes over a freaking mineral.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FrostForests

So basically it holds no true value. It is just a concept of the mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticalSteve

So basically all comments that don't coincide with your thought pattern are invalid.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
in short, yes.

maybe off topic and implausible but food for thought...

Are the millions of UFO sightings a year connected somehow?

Are ET's making us do all of this to our planet?

Are they getting us to exploit all our resources for them?

Are the people at the top of the power pyramid, in cahoots with the ET's?

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
If material possessions are so unimportant to you two, smash you computers, which you paid for, leave your house, your belongings, your money, go make a tent and live in the forest, see how well you do.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Such hostility. Learn to control your emotions youngling. I was simply making a statement. I don't understand why you are becoming so irrate. Gold has no value except for the one we make in our minds.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by SkepticalSteve]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

And also I am becoming a monk soon after surgery for some medical problems so I will be doing that to some extent

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Gold is a universal currency. So is oil and every other resource/product. Money is just a symbol and representation of the resource, to help ease in trade. Money represents a transfer of energy/resources.

If you trade 10 ounces of gold, for 200 barrels of oil. In money, it's the same exchange as if the oil was $1 a barrel and the gold was $20 an ounce. It equals out.

Just look at the "food for oil" program. Corruption aside, it was the exchange of 2 resources.

Gold was more used as currency because it isn't easy to find, and it doesn't disappear. So it could serve the function of the transfer of resources.

Today we use paper money as the symbol. The problem here is that the paper notes can be printed up as much as wanted. As the resources themselves carry their own values, this new money devalues the current money in the system. Where $1 could buy you a gallon of gas 1 day, if they double the amount of money in supply, then it would cost you $2 the next day. In effect, the people who create the money steal the resources from people.

The people who actually work and dig up the resources don't suffer, because their resources overall value is still determined by supply and demand. The prices will just raise. Like an oil company. These people understand true economics and won't get screwed over.

But everyone else does get screwed over. This was called money changing in the bible, and to charge interest on a loan is called usury. It basically means economic slavery. Huge no-no.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Such hostility. Learn to control your emotions youngling. I was simply making a statement. I don't understand why you are becoming so irrate. Gold has no value except for the one we make in our minds.

How should I respond to such a pompous comment? I have explained as well as I can why gold has value, and you disrespect my comment. You surely do not understand this system. I wish you well in your quest to become a monk.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrostForests
If material possessions are so unimportant to you two, smash you computers, which you paid for, leave your house, your belongings, your money, go make a tent and live in the forest, see how well you do.

Aboriginal people survived hundreds of thousands of years, just fine without all that.

You attach yourself to your belongings, in the process loosing your humanity and ability to tune into nature.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I meant no disrespect. I understand why it holds value for materialistic gain. But it seems silly that something like this is so sought over. It is just a mineral. I know we need something such as gold if we are to have a global economy. But it isn't something we actually need, only need in a world that tells us we do.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticalSteve

its all about power and being king of the hill (kids game)

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

You attach yourself to your belongings, in the process loosing your humanity and ability to tune into nature.

Ah, fallacies and assumptions. I expect no less.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I agree, but Isnt everything? "Nothing matters so do it well"
Honestly, I dont know why we have money, or let it be a mind game we fall victim or beneficiary to. maybe because we reached enlightenment, realized we created this and other finite games for our amusement(reality included), and have simply returned to chopping wood and carrying water, maybe things like gold, wars, and rape just spice up their opposing dualities thus making the experiences all the more intense or vivid which is what we as the source or creator would probably do, seeing as the source contains the infinite ends of all extremes, and creation is just a creative way to express it all in particulars and individual perceptions.
who knows... I agree with you tho brother.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join