It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something to consider before voting for John McCain

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

This is a quote from one of the articles I cited earlier.

The more conservatives join a conservative court, the more conservative each justice gets.

The same thing doesn't appear to be true, curiously, for left-leaning judges. The authors find that the court's liberal justices are driven to vote more ideologically not when their numbers grow but when they begin to drop. The fewer justices there are on the court appointed by Democratic presidents, in other words—meaning the more outnumbered the liberal justices are—the more liberal those justices get. Even when the majority shifts only a small amount, from 5-4 liberal to 5-4 conservative, liberal justices tend to vote more liberally about 3 percent of the time. "There's a real polarization effect," says Landes.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
The potential of Supreme Court appointments was indeed a factor in my decision to vote for John McCain. I would much prefer a judiciary that interprets the law rather than attempt to legislate from the bench. As far as I've ever seen, liberal justices are far more likely to be guilty of the latter than the former. That is unacceptable to me.

As for McCain's potential selections, also consider this: they would have to gain Senate approval. With Senate likely to lean heavily toward the liberal Democrats, it is highly unlikely that McCain will be able to successfully appoint any real conservative justices to the Court anyway. For the same reason, you can expect that Obama's appointments would lean considerably to the left of the political spectrum.

[edit on 29-10-2008 by vor78]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If you really want to know what a SCOTUS under Obama would look like, all you have to do is look to the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.

Now that my friends is a liberal court.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Obama wants partial birth abortions, one of the most hideous, horrible ways to kill a baby:

Speaking at the Planned Parenthood conference in DC this afternoon, Barack Obama leveled harsh words at conservative Supreme Court justices, and he offered his own intention to appoint justices with "empathy." Obama hinted that the court's recent decision in Gonzales v. Carhart -- which upheld a ban on partial-birth abortion -- was part of "a concerted effort to steadily roll back" access to abortions. And he ridiculed Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote that case's majority opinion. "Justice Kennedy knows many things," he declared, "but my understanding is that he does not know how to be a doctor."

firstread.msnbc.msn.com...

He would appoint justices that agree with him.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I'll give you two reasons TO vote for McCain/Palin over Obama when it comes to the Supreme Court.

1. Senate Maj. Leader Harry Reid
2. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

If a majority Senate and House are elected and these two evil people retain their positions, AND Obama becomes president we will see such a drastic changing of this nation towards liberalism that it will make the Jimmy Carter years look like an age of golden prosperity.

Obama will appoint the most liberal people he can find as judges most likely without properly vetting them and they will be railroaded through Congress and into the SCOTUS.

You think Bush was out to strip us of our rights? Need I remind you that Obama voted in favor of FISA? And just wait until this nightmare combination of events happens - this country will either become the laughing stock of the world or the easiest target terrorism has ever seen, because they know they can strike the liberal U.S. of A without fear of sufficient retaliation.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Here's an article from the WSJ that gives another perspective on the courts, should Obama be doing the appointing:

The net result is that the legal left will once again have a majority on the nation's most important regulatory court of appeals.

The balance will shift as well on almost all of the 12 other federal appeals courts. Nine of the 13 will probably swing to the left if Mr. Obama is elected (not counting the Ninth Circuit, which the left solidly controls today). Circuit majorities are likely at stake in this presidential election for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal. That includes the federal appeals courts for New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia and virtually every other major center of finance in the country.

On the Supreme Court, six of the current nine justices will be 70 years old or older on January 20, 2009. There is a widespread expectation that the next president could make four appointments in just his first term, with maybe two more in a second term. Here too we are poised for heavy change.

These numbers ought to raise serious concern because of Mr. Obama's extreme left-wing views about the role of judges. He believes -- and he is quite open about this -- that judges ought to decide cases in light of the empathy they ought to feel for the little guy in any lawsuit.

Every new federal judge has been required by federal law to take an oath of office in which he swears that he will "administer justice without respect to persons, and do equal right to the poor and to the rich." Mr. Obama's emphasis on empathy in essence requires the appointment of judges committed in advance to violating this oath. To the traditional view of justice as a blindfolded person weighing legal claims fairly on a scale, he wants to tear the blindfold off, so the judge can rule for the party he empathizes with most.

The legal left wants Americans to imagine that the federal courts are very right-wing now, and that Mr. Obama will merely stem some great right-wing federal judicial tide. The reality is completely different. The federal courts hang in the balance, and it is the left which is poised to capture them.

That sums up my concern should Obama be elected. And then add to it a Democratic controlled congress. Our government is built on the idea of balance of power. This is not balance.

[edit on 10/29/08 by GirlNextDoor]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlNextDoor

Excellent find, and very well stated! Star for you. And as always, this is not a one liner.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join