It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama plans half-hour TV ad days before election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — Already advertising at record levels, Barack Obama has scheduled a half-hour commercial for prime time on Oct. 29, six days before Election Day.

Obama campaign officials said the campaign had secured a 30-minute block of time at 8 p.m. on CBS and NBC

Does anyone else get the feeling that this might backfire? Most people are already pretty tired of the 30 second ads from both candidates that we see all day long.

is anyone else going to be watching this? I have a deep fascination with Propaganda techniques, and will be watching to see these techniques in action.

How can McCain possibly respond to this if this does indeed have a positive reaction.

I'm just wondering if there are any other "students of propaganda" out here on ATS, and what they feel the impact of this ad will be....

This is not a bashing thread! Please don't debate the candidates in here. This is specifically to discuss campaign tactics, and propaganda techniques.

Mods, if I put this in the wrong place please move

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
this has already been posted on and talked about at length

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
can you post the link?

I tried doing some searches but couldn't find it

thanks in advance

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I sure as hell didn't see it....(the other topic)

...I might tivo it. but.... I need to see the rays win another.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
thats why I'm figuring it might backfire... He is going to have to make his ad gripping enough at the beginning, to keep the independent voters on board for the full 30 mins.

One strategy that he might be doing, is re-energizing his base, and get them all fired up again to ensure that they actually vote.

I honestly have no idea how he is going to keep the public's attention for that long. Maybe a documentary? something along those lines?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Different approaches...

1.The life of Obama
2. Economics
3. Spank Mccain
4. Mind boggle you with half lies

I'm still Independent and have no clue who I'm voting for.
I will watch politics when I WANT TO WATCH POLITICS.

The money he spent on this advertising is ungodly.

(HE SHOULD TAKE HIS OWN ADVICE AND SPREAD THE WEALTH) !!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

I can't imagine that its going to go over particularly well in Pennsylvania or Florida. I'm sure they're getting sick of waiting for that 6th inning to resume and aren't going to be overly pleased that they have to put up with a politician (even if they may agree with him!) delaying the game for yet another 30 minutes. People watch sports to escape, afterall, not to be bombarded by more political propoganda.

It won't have much of a negative effect, mind you, but it wouldn't take a whole lot in either state to potentially be a problem. Of course, there's nothing he can really do about it now.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I agree that his advertising budget is absolutely obscene. But look at the bright side, it has allowed me to study how the public reacts to the propaganda his media consultants spew out.

(Before anyone takes off flaming me because I stated that Obama's ads are propaganda, it is important to note that all advertisements for anything ever on TV is essentially propaganda, and any political campaign ever is just as guilty of disseminating propaganda)

I really don't think he can attack McCain in this 30 min address... I think any sort of negativity at all will have people changing the channel.

Remember, he has to keep people watching for 30 mins... if people start seeing something they don't like, they will stop watching...

This should be an interesting chance to study this...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
He has been talking for more than a year. I doubt he has anything new to add.

Will be interesting to see what kind of viewership he gets. I wonder if they include foreigners on that Nilsen rating.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As posted earlier, there is an existing thread on this subject.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please post all thoughts to that thread.

Thread closed.

top topics

join