It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clerk charged with unlawful search of Joe the Plumber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

www.wnwo.com...

Toledo Police have confirmed that a TPD records clerk is accused of performing an illegal search of information related to 'Joe the Plumber.' Julie McConnell, has been charged with Gross Misconduct for allegedly making an improper inquiry into a state database in search of information pertaining to Samuel Wurzelbacher on Oct. 16.

Welcome to 1984. Big Brother is watching you!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
When the FBI does it it's called the Patriot Act.

When a clerk does it it's called illegal.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

True. But which is it? Do you believe it should be illegal or not?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Sadly i think it is human nature.. I worked for a MAJOR NY bank and you would be amazed at how many tellers/officers would look up celebrities accounts and charge card activity.

The Jennifer Hudson story in the news currently mentioned that the suspect has a myspace page. I know a bunch of ppl that HAD to go look for it. I am aware that a social networking site and a police department arent in the same league... but i also realize that human nature and curiosity are part of our makeup. These things happen when individuals are thrust in the spotlight. I doubt the woman was going to DO anything with the information that she found, but it wasn't a bright move.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Sounds like he's agreeing with FBI using the Patriot Act, and saying the clerk should be allowed to perform illegal computer searches. Otherwise, why would've he brought it up in the first place? Unless, he's suggesting it was OK for the clerk to do the illegal search simply because Joe asked Obama a simple and truthful question the media refused to ask him.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by vor78
reply to post by davion

True. But which is it? Do you believe it should be illegal or not?

If it's illegal for a clerk to do it then I don't understand how it can be legal for a government agency to do it.

How do you feel about it? Do you think what the clerk did is wrong, and in that same vein do you think the Patriot Act is wrong?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

I think that its wrong in the case of the clerk without question. I'm on the fence regarding the Patriot Act. I do not believe that it should be used to spy on the population without a reason, but the government does have an obligation to protect its citizens, so in a way, I can see their argument. However, in this particular case, it would be a clear abuse of power regardless of who committed the act, given that this guy was guilty of nothing more than asking a question.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

That's all I have to say about that, really.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I agree that it was improper for the clerk to illegally obtain information about "Joe the Plumber." But I don't think there's anything sinister about it. Joe became a celebrity after the debate and celebrities are always hounded by the paparazzi and other curious people who may want money or some other reward for their findings, or just like the thrill of the chase.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by davion

I think that's partially true, but virtually all of our laws exist in order to promote public safety and security and all of those laws are curtailing someone's freedom in order to do that. For example, a person cannot legally drive 100mph down the highway if they desire and obviously, this is for public safety reasons. As long as there is government, there will be checks upon individual freedoms in the name of greater public good.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Sounds like a classic case of "Do as I say not as I do" to me.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by davion
When the FBI does it it's called the Patriot Act.

When a clerk does it it's called illegal.

Yeah, because terrorists and people who don't agree with Obama are the same thing!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
How naive for anyone to think there info is secure. People at the police department and there friends look up people's records all the time, I know because I have seen it done. Also if you think your medical record are private guess again. We had a kid in school with my child telling several student including mine about our pesonal info, kids were told that teens would go to the pharmacy after closing and go through patients records. the name of the pharmacy is CVS pharmacy, and there is nothing you can do about it. Beleave me I tried.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marcus Calpurnius
Yeah, because terrorists and people who don't agree with Obama are the same thing!

Try again

That doesn't sound like terrorists to me. Sounds like the FBI getting into crap they aren't supposed to.

new topics

top topics

join