It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Methane found in the Martian atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Methane was recently detected in the Martian Atmosphere by telescopes on Earth, the discovery was confirmed by instruments onboard the European Space Agency's orbiting Mars Express. Scientists say this could be a sign of present-day life on Mars.

"Methane lives for a short time in the Martian atmosphere so it must be being constantly replenished.

There are two possible ways to do this. Either active volcanoes, but none have yet been found on Mars, or microbes."

Methane poses Mars life puzzle

[Edited on 28-3-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Mar, 28 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I find this discovery really interesting, as it implies a renewable source of methane.

Obviously there are no active volcano's, probubly due to a lack of plate movement on the planet that we know of.

I wonder if is a result of damage to the mars crust from an meteor impact. Or maybe microbes beneath the surface.

Some observations from another thread...of what appears to be a gas release from the well of an existing meteor impact site.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
hey smirkley is this one posted to the Nasa maybe they didn't see it and we (ats) can take some credit over it

they try just to find out how the methane comes in the atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 11:58 PM
link   
At last - proof of life on Mars - Martian cows !!!

One of the primary producers of this methane are cattle and other livestock. When these cattle break wind, or fart, they release a large amount of methane into the atmosphere.
smartmoves.questacon.edu.au...

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I can see the title of Mel Gibsons next movie " Mars Max beyond Thunderdome."

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I wasnt aware of any active volcanism ever being detected on Mars. Does anyone know about this?

The Mars Express orbiter has detected minute traces of methane in the Martian atmosphere, a finding that could point to volcanic activity or fermenting microorganisms.

Both of those phenomena, along with a third mooted methane source (hydrothermal activity) remain among the big unknowns about Mars.

Methane on Mars may signal volcanoes

[Edited on 3-31-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Mar, 31 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Many of Mars' most dramatic features, such as long, deep structures that dwarf the Grand Canyon, might have been formed by catastrophic flows of water or carbon dioxide pushed from higher ground by ancient volcanic eruptions, some geologists suspect.

www.space.com...

Here you go. Looks like there where some eruptions. Or suspect, Not sure how you can call it a volcano if it dont erupt.

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 1 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
We have to accept the fact that as much as the scientists claim to understand the Universe, they really only understand a very small portion of it. Our technological accomplishements are great but I don't think we have the know-how to carry out a real expedition. We equate all findings in the Universe to Earth specific values. Is time the same on Mars as it is on Earth. Different orbital pattern, different rotational model. So I guess the question is, does our scientific method apply to other planets.

Time is always the constant factor in most equations, but is the value of time the same for all planets?

I guess my whole point is that we as people are limited in our ability to research because we don't have the ability to think too far outside the box. If different values appear in an experiment than what were predicted it is automaticly assumed than an error occured. Is that true, or is something unknown influencing the results.

Science is not perfect.

new topics

top topics

join