It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists discover single brain cell dedicated to Jennifer Aniston inside woman's head

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

By Fiona Macrae
Last updated at 6:21 PM on 28th October 2008
It is a discovery that could explain the enduring appeal of Friends. Scientists have found brain cells devoted to Jennifer Aniston.
Fans of the actress, who played socialite Rachel Green in the Channel 4 sit-com, are likely to have at least one brain cell that springs into action each time they see a picture of her, research suggests.
Other brain cells are similarly encoded to store memories of individual celebrities, from actress Halle Berry to former US presidents Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan.

Interesting story on individual cells as holding specific memories. The title, fro, the Mail, is obviously just a catcher, but nonetheless pretty cool.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

ColoradoJens

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Sorry to disillusion you but 'm strictly Team Jolie.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
So if you want to forget about somebody just keep drinking. You're bound to kill the right cell eventually.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I've never heard a better reason to justify a lobotomy

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
My whole brain is dedicated to Scarlett Johanssen, not to mention other parts of me too.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
You missed the point, candyfloss.

Whether you prefer a particular actor/actress or food or anything for that matter, the implication is that there is a neuron specifically associated with the specific piece of external stimulii.

The 'Aniston' neuron(s) will fire when anything Aniston presents itself. The Jolie neuron(s) will fire when anything Jolie presents itself. The Creme Brulee(sp) neuron will fire when anything desert presents itself.

The 'best part' about this is that Scientists have developed instruments to measure this activity. So if you think of Aniston/Jolie, since the scientists would have already catalogued your brain activity, then they will have a great liklihood of recognizing the instant you started thinking of Aniston/Jolie.

Telepathy....science style.

Gotta love it...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
This makes me sad to think about how many brain cells have been wasted on Paris Hilton.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
is there any medication for this condition....

If I could I'd never want to recognize another celebrity again....or former school teachers.... or that one chick I never should of hooked up with on that school trip...ok I mean last weekend.....uggghhhghg....

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
that's not surprising. but does that mean that there is a brain cell for anything you have ever experienced? and can they run out?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock
You missed the point, candyfloss.

Whether you prefer a particular actor/actress or food or anything for that matter, the implication is that there is a neuron specifically associated with the specific piece of external stimulii.

The 'Aniston' neuron(s) will fire when anything Aniston presents itself. The Jolie neuron(s) will fire when anything Jolie presents itself. The Creme Brulee(sp) neuron will fire when anything desert presents itself.

The 'best part' about this is that Scientists have developed instruments to measure this activity. So if you think of Aniston/Jolie, since the scientists would have already catalogued your brain activity, then they will have a great liklihood of recognizing the instant you started thinking of Aniston/Jolie.

Telepathy....science style.

Gotta love it...

MEMORY SHOCK -was this something scientsists from the E Channel discovered or did the bunnies in Heff's Grotto get stoned one night?

Piffle,I don't believe a word of it and it's Tommy Rot.

I suppose people will start communicating with pancakes next or something?Why can't scientsist do something useful like discover where all the odd mising socks in the world go?Some vast BlackSockHole in Space or will they all appear when the Hadron Collider gets turned back on ?Or has no one found the remote yet?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Ya is there any correaltion bewteen new memories and brain cells forming and old ones dying along with old memories...

What determines what's a usless memory.... some form of survival mechanism...

Damn this massive [snip] msytery of life....

Damn reason and questioning......

errr I wanna slip in a coma and lucid dream till they find a way to make me immortal.....

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by N. Tesla
that's not surprising. but does that mean that there is a brain cell for anything you have ever experienced? and can they run out?

It certainly isn't that simple. The brain works through association and as such, there is a great liklihood that there are clusters or groupings of neurons that are associated to the specific stimulus, as the body must refer to the memory neurons to establish how the body will then react (different neuronal process).

And recent studies have supported the possibility of extended neurogenesis...which is the reproduction of neurons...long thought to be impossible for adults.

Also, check this article out as well:

The original research by Dr R Quian Quiroga, of the University’s Department of Engineering, showed that one neuron fired to, for instance, Jennifer Aniston, another one to Halle Berry, another one to the Sydney Opera House, etc.
The responses were abstract. For example, the neuron firing to Halle Berry responded to several different pictures of her and even to the letters of her name, but not to other people or names.
This result, published in Nature in 2005 came from data from patients suffering from epilepsy. As candidates for epilepsy surgery, they are implanted with intracranial electrodes to determine as accurately as possible the area where the seizures originate. From that, clinicians can evaluate the potential outcome of curative surgery.

Researchers Can Read Thoughts To Decipher What A Person Is Actually Seeing dated 12/11/2007

Truly fascinating material...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GodshipForAll
is there any medication for this condition....

If I could I'd never want to recognize another celebrity again....or former school teachers.... or that one chick I never should of hooked up with on that school trip...ok I mean last weekend.....uggghhhghg....

That's an interesting thought. Could we use this discovery to take control of our brains and forget stuff that we'd rather not know about? This would be very useful for anybody who's walked in on their parents getting freaky.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken the mystery deepens further. Apparently there is some evidence that certain memory associations and reflexes are transported by an undetermined process into nerve cells throughout the body. Some suggest this may account for phantom memories in transplant recipients. If there is anything to this theory, it may be possible that certain memory responses are resident outside the brain itself.

I think I know where at least a couple of my Jolie neurons are.....

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
my desktop background is a screen grab of her in Princess Leia attire, and i got to tell you, alot more than one brain cell jumps into action when i see her. she was pretty iconic in the 90's. I think alot of ladies could relate to her, even though her character started off being really stuck up.

everything in your brain is linked together through neutron strands or whatever. its why you get imagery when you smell cut grass and other things.

seeing her makes me think about other girls i have dated, probably because somewhere deep down i wanted them to be her, haha.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Some suggest this may account for phantom memories in transplant recipients. If there is anything to this theory, it may be possible that certain memory responses are resident outside the brain itself.

Great point, Maxmars....muscle memory indeed. I remember when I was first introduced to the idea of phantom memories in transplant recipients...one experienced cravings for a food previously undesired...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
If there's one brain cell dedicated to Jennifer Aniston in my head than there's at least a half trillion dedicated to ATS!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by candyfloss
Piffle,I don't believe a word of it and it's Tommy Rot.

But it's been documented...

Originally posted by candyfloss
I suppose people will start communicating with pancakes next or something?

Are you even trying to interact with the discussion here?

Please, if not, then don't post here. You're making the pancakes sad...

Yup...we have already started using pancakes to communicate...

Let's get this back on topic please...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join